Ask a Feeder Driver, Feeder Driver FAQ

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by 104Feeder, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Rick Ross

Rick Ross I'm into distribution!!

Your hours of service would start counting down from 14 at whatever time you started work.

2. Rick Ross

At my building you would remain on shifting to make those moves. It's too much work to add legs and inbound/outbound for a 5 minute trip.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Undercover Boss

Undercover Boss New Member

Ok so if shifting isn’t considered driving then how many hours could you potentially work shifting?

4. Jones

Jones fILE A GRIEVE! Staff Member

As many as you want. HOS regs only limit the amount of time you can drive a commercial vehicle on the road. We have guys who routinely hit 15-16 hours shifting on the yard after they finish their last road leg.

5. Undercover Boss

Wow. Good to know if I wanted to earn some extra cash.

6. trickpony1

trickpony1 Well-Known Member

How does this affect their 10 hours off before their next start time unless, of course, they are coverage?

7. Dracula

Dracula Package Car is cake compared to this...

They still have to have 10 hours off before the next shift if that shift involves driving on the street. Not sure if that’s the case if you’re working in the yard the next shift.

8. Jones

Jones fILE A GRIEVE! Staff Member

They pull that move on Saturday morning, so they still get their 34 hour reset before Monday.

9. Mugarolla

Mugarolla Light 'em up!

You only need 10 hours off if you will be "on road."

If you never leave the yard, no part of the HOS applies.

You do not need 10 hours off and you can work beyond 14 hours.

Hell, you don't even need a CDL if you never leave the yard.

10. Johney

Johney Well-Known Member

11. olroadbeech

olroadbeech Happy Verified UPSer

NOPE.

all paid hours are hours of service

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  12. Undercover Boss

So who is right?

13. Rick Ross

Both, all paid hours count towards HOS but if you don't leave the yard HOS doesn't matter.

You could drive up to your 60 hours for the week and stay late or work another shift on the yard... You just can't drive on road. You would then need a reset before going back on road.

Same with driving up to your 11 or 14 daily. If you run out of drive time you could stay and shift 12 more hours if they would let you, but all those hours count towards your 60 for the week and you need 10 hours off before going back on road.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  14. Maple Grove MN Driver

Maple Grove MN Driver Cocaine Mang!

This woman knows.....but she can't remember how many years she drove.
    Ask her about chaining up at the top of Mount Everest to bring Supplies to Mexico

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  15. Johney

Johney Well-Known Member

She just hammered down and plowed through it as I recall.

16. over9five

over9five Moderator Staff Member

Steering wheel in one hand, 45 in the other.
    My kind of woman!

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  17. averageguy14

averageguy14 New Member

So BETPA ended up running out of equipment so they sent about 10 of us out of NEWPA with empty sets. Get there and now all of us get to bobtail 270 miles back. Cant get any easier lol

18. Johney

Johney Well-Known Member

Yea and they'll have 10 BETPA guys run loads down to NEWPA. I once had to go pass the airport(15 mins away) to go to the railyard(an hour and a half away) so a driver at the railyard could go to the airport cause the train was late.

19. retiredTxfeeder

retiredTxfeeder cap'n crunch

We had a guy take an empty set to a meet point 4 hours from our building, then pulled a different empty set back. lol.

20. Rick Ross

We once had two guys do that...problem was they were both from our building and their loads were actually at the meet point. I think they were about 100 miles from the meet point before they were sent back for their actual loads