barnyard

KTM rider
I've never heard anything like that.

In my Local, once you successfully complete your production week....

you are paid for your training week as per Article 3 Section 14.

"Upon completion of tractor-trailer school, the Employer will determine whether the employee is qualified to drive tractor-trailers and whether the employee will be placed on the qualified list. When an employee is placed on the qualified list he/she shall be compensated forty (40) hours at the appropriate straight time hourly rate."

https://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/06242014_77983_central_region-final.pdf

-Bug-

Has that changed?? I thought that it used to be worded something along the lines of 'completing 2 years of service on the qualified list.' It might have even been 3 years. I thought that amongst the pile of paperwork that I signed was a sheet that stated that I agreed that my week of training pay would be forfeited if I was DQd or removed myself from the qualified list within x years of being qualified.

When I went, I was paid 40 hours of straight time, I stayed in a hotel near the hub where I trained and I received a per diem for food. I had to turn in receipts for the food, so I went out for steak one night, on the way home, bought the mother lode of BBQ and turned in those receipts. It was easier than saving the receipts for the grocery shopping that I did, the sandwiches that I got from the same grocery, etc.

My 1st day of training, I rode my motorcycle down, thinking that I would commute everyday. The 2nd day, I rode down and stayed in the hotel. I needed the quiet time to read and study the materials. My road test was done by a UPS employee that was state certified to give the CDL road test.

I did my non-productive week in late June and did not do my production week until August. I was paid for my non-productive week the week following, just like a normal paycheck.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Has that changed??

Yep.... in 1997.

I thought that it used to be worded something along the lines of 'completing 2 years of service on the qualified list.' It might have even been 3 years.

After 2 years on the list, you could DQ yourself. Now's it 3 years.

If it was less than a year, you couldn't bid again for 18 months.... now it's 24.

I did my non-productive week in late June and did not do my production week until August. I was paid for my non-productive week the week following, just like a normal paycheck.

Here,

You always got paid for your productive week, because you were performing work.

Once you passed that.... they paid you for the non-productive week.

barnyard

KTM rider
I mis-wrote that. I was paid for my non-productive week the Friday following, just like a normal paycheck. I went back to package until I did my production week. I did 2 or 3 more weeks that year and have been doing 3-4 weeks a year since.

Next year will be big. 1 of our feeder guys is retiring, so I will fill in for at least 10-12 weeks a year. No one else is retiring for a while, so I suspect that the next feeder school bid will be filled by another low seniority guy. As always though, we'll see when we see.

barnyard

KTM rider
I think that is why I had to sign the sheet that I signed. I don't remember for sure, but I think someone said that if I DQd, the school week would be covered by a week of vacation.

It was all a complicated way of saying that I would be paid for the non-productive week one way or another.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
The company was certified to do that here.

Then, the state said they had to make it available to the general public.

UPS said.... uh, no.

In my state the DMV can go back and retest anyone who got their CDL through a 3rd party tester.

It would suck to get a letter from the state 9 months after receiving your CDL giving you 30 days to be retested. It's happened to two drivers in my building that I know of. Both failed their first two retests.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
We are not paid for the week of school. We had a guy who was out of sick/option/vacation days and they let him work a few hours in the building so he would have insurance for the week.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
"At my location"...
Yeah, some people don’t get this. Just because your location does things a certain way, doesn’t mean it applies across the board. I can tell you, without a shadow of a doubt, that my hub DOES NOT pay you for your first week. It’s even typed in bold on the sign up sheet.

Feeder665

Go big or go home!
In NorCal we get paid for both weeks of Training. We also have two DMV testers in house. I was lucky enough to train with one of them. Got a free CDL out of the deal.

over9five

Staff member
Kenworth:
How the heck do you set the radio so that it does NOT shut off the speakers when you back up?
I can't find it in the settings.