Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
They said that starting off would be a call board driver covering summer vacations and any vacant routes. They did reiterate that it is a permanent full time position, local 710.

So USPS TTO is kind of like UPS feeder as in we start out with crappy pay. Around $22 an hour and capping at about $33 an hour but our progression is ten years so it’s considerably longer than UPS. We do have unlimited overtime for now however as we don’t have to abide by hours of service, time and a half after 8, double time after 10 and double time and a half after 12. I know guys who haven’t taken a day off since April. Or you can work only 40 as we have 8 hour protection.

A big thing with me is benefits. We are under the federal benefit program so we have a ton of choices and some great plans available but they aren’t cheap. Top tier medical/dental/vision cost me about $200 biweekly on top of 5% 401k and 4.4% pension payments.

I'm not sure how far into progression you are but that doesn't sound bad. You do all local stuff and they contract out the long runs?

Is it true you guys don't pre-trip or post-trip because a mechanic does it for you?

Are all trailers loaded with the rolling carts or are they loaded floor to ceiling? I've always wondered if they are hauling around half empty trailers full of carts. :)

Mack37

No logs, no required 30 min breaks, no resets no nothing. If you want to work 12 hours a day 365 days in a row and the work is available then go nuts. DOT physicals are only required because USPS volunteered to participate but there are ways around that as well.

I'm not sure how far into progression you are but that doesn't sound bad. You do all local stuff and they contract out the long runs?

Is it true you guys don't pre-trip or post-trip because a mechanic does it for you?

Are all trailers loaded with the rolling carts or are they loaded floor to ceiling? I've always wondered if they are hauling around half empty trailers full of carts. :)

Yeah the long distance stuff is pulled by contractors, we do the local plant to plant and plant to station runs as well as the customer drop and hooks. My current run is 8.5 hours and I driver about 100 miles a day.

I think you’re supposed to do a pre-trip but most don’t other than checking lights. The mechanics walk around every day and check fluids and tires and add as necessary. It’s rather funny seeing that the newest postal marked trailers that I’ve see are 1998’s. We’re not subject to DOT inspections and aren’t required to enter scales if you happen to come across any. There are no license plates, dot numbers Ifta or insurance.

All the mail we handle is rolling stock or pallets. When your low in seniority you’ll have runs where you’re pushing mail but once you get up there it will be all drop and hook. Volume depends on the size of the station you serve.

Poop Head

Judge me.
USPS is the government . It’s an independent government agency like EPA or CIA. Most people think it’s a government owned entity like Amtrak but it isn’t.
That's crazy that you guys are exempt from pretty much all the laws that the rest of the transportation industry has to abide by.
Do they even pee test you guys (tractor drivers)?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
That's crazy that you guys are exempt from pretty much all the laws that the rest of the transportation industry has to abide by.

It's actually kind of funny.

The government has all these laws for truck drivers to supposedly keep the public safe.

They do not want tired truck drivers on the road possibly endangering the public.

Let the USPS truck drivers drive as tired as they want to be risking the afety of the public.

The government has put money over safety by not mandating the USPS truck drivers follow.DOT Regulations.

Mack37

Do they even pee test you guys (tractor drivers)?

You know I don’t actually know. I piss tested when I hired on a good while back but I haven’t done one since. I remember when I was training the trainer said “this is the only truck driving job you can get a dui with and not get fired”. It’s a strange place.

The union at UPS is better at getting you guys pay and benefits while the union at USPS is better at employee protection. We can’t strike so getting more money is a real hassle. There’s a reason I’m thinking about going back to ups.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
And what is the DOT required paperwork needed in every tractor, GO !
IFTA tax agreement, hazmat card with supporting paperwork, registration, insurance, instructions for DOT on how to pull hours of service from IVIS, U6350, 1 blank time card, 2 logs. What do I win?