Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
We ship out lots of dollies for some reason and every time I've hauled them they only seem to ratchet one slack adjuster on all dollies except the back one where they do both to lock the brakes. I've never had them move at all but I try to be smooth when hauling them.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
We ship out lots of dollies for some reason and every time I've hauled them they only seem to ratchet one slack adjuster on all dollies except the back one where they do both to lock the brakes. I've never had them move at all but I try to be smooth when hauling them.
ha , ya drivers hide dollies at commercial accounts and try to keep them away from visiting hub drivers.It sucks when your loads are ready and there are no dollies available. sometimes we had a dozen dollies in the red tag line because the inspection sticker was expired.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Sometimes when I'd come onto the yard with a set, and am going to leave with a set, and am not sure where my dolly is going to go, I'll set it in a corner of the yard. Some drivers would rather use a dolly that is nearer their work than get one from the dolly pad, and they will "appropriate" the dolly I'd set aside. I used to keep a red tag in my bag that said "air leak". I'd put it on the dolly when I first dropped it. It kept people from "borrowing" my dolly when I wasn't looking.:devil3:

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Sometimes when I'd come onto the yard with a set, and am going to leave with a set, and am not sure where my dolly is going to go, I'll set it in a corner of the yard. Some drivers would rather use a dolly that is nearer their work than get one from the dolly pad, and they will "appropriate" the dolly I'd set aside. I used to keep a red tag in my bag that said "air leak". I'd put it on the dolly when I first dropped it. It kept people from "borrowing" my dolly when I wasn't looking.:devil3:
some so called brothers would steal anything that wasn't locked up. pull bars, flashlights , gloves ,. some would take the tractor keys home so no one could take it. dispatch ended up making 3-4 sets of keys and would keep the keys locked up in the dispatch office.

tire chains were also "taken" off of tractors. some drivers would use a cross cable on the chain rack and lock them up and keep the key on ignition key ring. It got that bad when the company was too cheap to buy extra chains. we drivers spent a lot of time repairing our chains when done for the day or waiting for loads. they gave us a chain repair tool also which is pretty expensive.Consider over a 100 dollars each for 180 plus feeder drivers. they went missing also when not locked up in tractor or locker . I went to shop and had my name engraved in it.

dog eat dog world at times.

Indecisi0n

Why would anyone hide a dolly? I couldn't careless what I bring back to my hub. I've gone to hubs where I bring in a set and dispatch tells me on the phone I am not allowed to take a set back. I just say ok and TO back. Ain't my equipment, ain't my problem. I have more important things to worry about like what I'm having for meal.

Poop Head

Judge me.
Why would anyone hide a dolly? I couldn't careless what I bring back to my hub. I've gone to hubs where I bring in a set and dispatch tells me on the phone I am not allowed to take a set back. I just say ok and TO back. Ain't my equipment, ain't my problem. I have more important things to worry about like what I'm having for meal.
There's a couple guys here that bought their own dollies

Indecisi0n

Pretty easy in the Central.

Article 19

Section 2

Feeder drivers, irrespective of domicile, will work as directed in any of the Employer’s locations.
Easy here as well even without the article. I am working as directed. My dispatch says take it, theirs says not to. They can fight it out while I TO back listening to some Taylor !

govols019

You smell that?
IMG_20190605_014017(1).jpg

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?
Easy here as well even without the article. I am working as directed. My dispatch says take it, theirs says not to. They can fight it out while I TO back listening to some Taylor !
I prefer to stand there, while getting paid, giggling on the inside until they both agree. You know WAD.

Last edited:

barnyard

KTM rider
I build 5, sometimes 6, sets a night...I like to use the same dolly because that's one less thing I have to worry about being screwed up.

I cover a job like that. Use the same dolly for the 1st 2 sets. Pull a single and then use the same dolly for the last 3 sets.
One less thing to worry about.
Another guy in my building does 6 sets a night. If they do not give him a kite on his 3rd set, he puts the dolly on the back of the single and uses the same dolly all night. The guy that was on that job until he retired, would use the same dolly for months at a time.

Indecisi0n

I prefer to stand there, while getting paid, giggling on the inside until they both agree. You know WAD.
Yea, I ain't got for all that. Not that I don't like money I just don't even put myself in that position. Its like I am standing in the middle while they each yell at each across from me, nope. I just leave, when I get back and dispatch asks where is the empty I tell them it's at the HUB. I'll explain to them what happened and how they can fix it for tomorrow. They never make the call and I never show a care in the world #winning.