WannaBeFeeder

Have Feeders drivers worked the HUB for months in the past ?

Something fishy is going on at my local and I’m really getting tired of having to work trailers, I didn’t sign up for this.
Better than a layoff .... ppl here warned you about things of that nature. Being at the bottom of the seniority list is always tough.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Have Feeders drivers worked the HUB for months in the past ?

Something fishy is going on at my local and I’m really getting tired of having to work trailers, I didn’t sign up for this.
Didn’t sign up for this? I’m sorry, how long have you been working for UPS? If that’s you in your avatar, you look kinda young. Not trying to s* on you but we have a couple off the street guys here that walk around like they are owed something. 16 years I worked in a trailer. If you are off the street or have anywhere less than 15 years, you hit the lotto. Act like it.

Anthony1960

Since we don't have our own section I thought I would post this for anyone with Feeder questions.

What's our schedule like? What did it take to qualify? Why do we get so fat? How do we stay awake on the road? What does the Dispatcher do? What do the On-roads do? Why does the Company subcontract Feeder work? What is the pay like? What do mileage runs pay? What's a layover? What's a gladhand? What's a button hook? Why are you guys so slow on the road? What happens in high winds/snow/hard rain/if you hit a deer?

Any question is up for discussion. If you need specific information to your area be sure to post where that is as Feeder work rules vary quite a bit by location (and we are always arguing about the work rules).

If you're in Feeders, sound off. If you are in Feeder Management or Dispatch you are welcome too and lets have some respectful discussion.
I tried it for a month in 2018. I couldn’t stand it. Went back to package for last two years of my career and now retired.

Made brown

so i have been lurking for a while finally landed my dream bid with feeders, i am to take a road test before i go to training, what kind of things should i be aware of on the pretrip part of the road test.... road test is with ups as i already have a cdl and am employed by them currently
Depending on the location, if they hire you "off the street" you may not even have a pretrip for the drive test. It might be that they figure you already know the pretrip and want to see if you can drive safely. The pretrip the way UPS wants you to do it will probably be shown to you by your on road during your training.

The pretrip you find on YouTube is probably the UPS on road supervisor demonstrating the pretrip skills test they have to cover to be certified by UPS as an ORS. It is something like a 2000 point inspection of truck and a set and has to be completed within 45 minutes. And they cannot miss me more than 10 or something like that. Good luck

Anthony1960

You might find that your wife doesn't mind so much especially if you snore! It's a trade off of course, but sometimes more quality time when you're awake can make up for not sleeping together most work nights.
When I started it was crazy, a lot of 2 a.m. calls to come in ASAP to cover California turn-around runs that took about 12 hours to do. Now for the rookies it's mostly covering shifting in the yard as we red circled all our shifters and new work is going to Feeder drivers. Other than that it's mostly CPU (customer pick up) day runs and WAD coverage.

They told us that Sleepers were "the wave of the Future" when we started but when the economy tanked they put most of the work back on the Rail & when Amazon came in they started subcontracting again. I expect that work to flow back to us but mostly to senior drivers.
The wave of the future is autonomous Tesla Semis. UPS ordered 100 of them

Depending on the location, if they hire you "off the street" you may not even have a pretrip for the drive test. It might be that they figure you already know the pretrip and want to see if you can drive safely. The pretrip the way UPS wants you to do it will probably be shown to you by your on road during your training.

The pretrip you find on YouTube is probably the UPS on road supervisor demonstrating the pretrip skills test they have to cover to be certified by UPS as an ORS. It is something like a 2000 point inspection of truck and a set and has to be completed within 45 minutes. And they cannot miss me more than 10 or something like that. Good luck
Thanks for the input. I have found a few videos on YouTube some of them are 45 minutes long one is right at about ten minutes. I am not sure which to be studying so I am studying both. basically what my original question was driving at is, there are things like kicking the tire with the back of your foot, and opening the drivers side hood latch on the begining of the pre trip finishing with the passenger side at the end of the outside inspection before you open the hood, that seem to be unique. I was looking for input on other things of that type that might help along.

Made brown

They show you the UPS way of pre tripping and it is supposed to be more streamlined. That is the point of for example opening your drivers side hood latch first and ending on the passenger side. That way you don't have to waste the 15 seconds to go back to drivers side to open hood.

Remember, time is valuable at UPS. They try to not let you waste any of it.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
They show you the UPS way of pre tripping and it is supposed to be more streamlined. That is the point of for example opening your drivers side hood latch first and ending on the passenger side. That way you don't have to waste the 15 seconds to go back to drivers side to open hood.

Remember, time is valuable at UPS. They try to not let you waste any of it.

Glewis22

so i have been lurking for a while finally landed my dream bid with feeders, i am to take a road test before i go to training, what kind of things should i be aware of on the pretrip part of the road test.... road test is with ups as i already have a cdl and am employed by them currently
At what hub if you don’t mind saying ?

quad decade guy

I don't think I'd run around telling everybody (especially at work) that you're working side jobs.
It has to do with violating DOT hours.

.....and besides, it's none of their business.
Here we go....

I will agree to your statement....to some extent.

It is UPS's business. You sign documents and complete training to such. No? Yeah ya do. Not signing the documents doesn't mean you didn't do the training. Yes, I'm aware of all the excuses and possibilities in court. They can get you a hundred different ways. But dishonesty would get you canned permanently.

No? Say, you have an accident and kill someone.....and through discovery it is found out you had this "side hustle".....

Company policy would really be the least of your worries as it is Federal now. No? Ask the Walmart driver who killed a bus full of college students(a few anyway). One is enough. It is possible jail time and an unlimited liability... Hell, you could get sued by UPS....

To the OP: Anything you "work at" and make money while you are supposed to be off for 10 hours is a crime. Federal.

Oddly, you could "volunteer" 24/7 and never sleep and come to work. But make one cent and you've violated.....

No? UPS would cut you loose so fast.....then your State, Federal....imagine being that Fed-Ex ground truck in the Texas 130 car ice pile up. You know the one that is in every picture....They announced lawsuits the same day.....what will they find....?

Am I scared? No. Do I respect the law? You bet. DO I want to keep my job? You bet.