Hey guys,
I didn't wanna create a new post for this question so I thought I'd ask here. I recently started as a preload package handler and got a call from HR asking for my CDL info, drug test, etc. I hadn't hear anything back from HR for a week so I followed up to see if there were any updates. HR just told me that they won't know if I'll have a seat in the class and that they'll let me know 4 days before the class begins. What do you guys think, will I make it or am I SOL? Is there anything other than seniority that will determine if I make it into the class?
Got the call, I'm starting feeder school this coming week. Any good advice to share?

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
My first 3 years in feeders, I went back to package on January 1st. First year, 10 months, second year, about 6 months, and the third year, 2 months. Never went back after that.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
254348289_1089183441821434_64205630499766275_n.jpg

HFolb23

Any shop stewards in here?

I’ve been approached about being a shop steward for our feeder department as it continues to grow. I did decline because of I am new to the position and that I felt I would have more questions than answers when approached by other drivers. It’s something I may pursue later in my career and I’m curious what that role involves, how difficult it may be working with drivers on other hours and locations, and if there are any benefits to being a steward. Ex. I’m sure it varies by local, but I know in package our stewards had super seniority and got first picks at bid time.

I’ve been approached about being a shop steward for our feeder department as it continues to grow. I did decline because of I am new to the position and that I felt I would have more questions than answers when approached by other drivers. It’s something I may pursue later in my career and I’m curious what that role involves, how difficult it may be working with drivers on other hours and locations, and if there are any benefits to being a steward. Ex. I’m sure it varies by local, but I know in package our stewards had super seniority and got first picks at bid time.
@104Feeder

quad decade guy

Here.....nothing special(at all) as far as job picks. If you are on duty when the employee friend's up...you may or may not get the duty as representation. It may be a new part timer clerk that has no idea of what you do. Let that sink in.....a lot of stewardships get awarded by cronyism and even skin color.....as well as political paybacks. The best people for the job? Hardly. Like being a Safety Co-chair.....just a way to pad hours....No? You bet.

govols019

You smell that?
Here.....nothing special(at all) as far as job picks. If you are on duty when the employee friend's up...you may or may not get the duty as representation. It may be a new part timer clerk that has no idea of what you do. Let that sink in.....a lot of stewardships get awarded by cronyism and even skin color.....as well as political paybacks. The best people for the job? Hardly. Like being a Safety Co-chair.....just a way to pad hours....No? You bet.

At least you're consistently miserable.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer

whoever approached you about being a stew doesnt like you.
it's a thankless job

seriously, you do need some more time under your belt and have to be a special person of toughness and integrity.
I suggest you ask and hang out with the best steward feeder has now and learn from him/her.