olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Hey I have a question. One time I saw a wal mart driver with a 53’ trying to get through an apartment complex parking lot and was completely stuck on a turn because of the car ports. He was doing an Austin Powers trying to get out but there was no way that dude was going anywhere without serious damage. I don’t even know how he got that thing where it was.

So my question is have any of you guys gotten stuck and if so what do you do?
yup. you get unstuck.
sometimes you need help using a spotter.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
got stuck on the highway once when the CHP closed it due to a fatality motorcycle accident. Had a set of doubles . So had to break set up , rebuild facing the other way and drive the wrong way to exit and use a frontage road for detour.

The CHP had diverted all the other traffic off behind me. There were no other trucks .

Almost

Hey I have a question. One time I saw a wal mart driver with a 53’ trying to get through an apartment complex parking lot and was completely stuck on a turn because of the car ports. He was doing an Austin Powers trying to get out but there was no way that dude was going anywhere without serious damage. I don’t even know how he got that thing where it was.

So my question is have any of you guys gotten stuck and if so what do you do?
The real question is, Why was the Wal-mart driver in a residential parking lot in the first place?

PreTrippin’

Getting drunk and falling down
The real question is, Why was the Wal-mart driver in a residential parking lot in the first place?
Lol I know it was crazy. I wish I would have taken a video or picture but I was just pissed because I had deliveries there and had to drive all the way around the damn complex because of this knucklehead.

Package Stick

"Send it."
Good advice. If it’s my first time at a small center I will park the truck at the entrance and walk it. I ain’t building the same set twice.
The first thing my feeder manager told me before I started hauling doubles was to never get trapped.

I always keep that in mind.

I walk around smaller centers no matter what, it takes 1-2min max and will prevent me from wasting time getting trapped.

robot

Has A Large Member
If you’re going to a new center or customer try to ask a fellow driver about it. I know a few drivers who are on the cover board and know pretty much everything about the surrounding centers and meet points.

quad decade guy

My latest run had a Love's meet point....except everyone met down the road at a MUCH less busy truck stop. As usual, the meet point was officially Love's. Well, predictably....a new guy would look at the job as written and go to Love's. THIS COULD CAUSE HOURS OF DELAYS....this has been going on for YEARS. But did anyone try to fix it? Nope.

I talked with my OR MGR., ORS and the meet guys feeder Mgr.(called him personally). Nope.

I'll wait for about an hour soaking up the OT.....then start making phone calls. That'll take another hour or so...

Shrug. But I still try.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
got stuck on the highway once when the CHP closed it due to a fatality motorcycle accident. Had a set of doubles . So had to break set up , rebuild facing the other way and drive the wrong way to exit and use a frontage road for detour.

The CHP had diverted all the other traffic off behind me. There were no other trucks .
E35A5B6C-802B-4B03-8023-7718E200976C.gif

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
My latest run had a Love's meet point....except everyone met down the road at a MUCH less busy truck stop. As usual, the meet point was officially Love's. Well, predictably....a new guy would look at the job as written and go to Love's. THIS COULD CAUSE HOURS OF DELAYS....this has been going on for YEARS. But did anyone try to fix it? Nope.

I talked with my OR MGR., ORS and the meet guys feeder Mgr.(called him personally). Nope.

I'll wait for about an hour soaking up the OT.....then start making phone calls. That'll take another hour or so...

Shrug. But I still try.
Why worry about it if your boss doesent care who gives a :censored2:

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider

Shrug. But I still try.
Every time I get to a meet point I call dispatch as soon as I arrive and get the trailer number and ETA of the driver I’m meeting. If 30 minutes pass the point he’s suppose to be there and I still don’t see him I’m calling again and getting his phone number. If you’re waiting “for hours” for a guy that’s sitting at a truck stop one block away from you, that’s your fault. Surely you know this, 40 year driver.

Last edited:

quad decade guy

Every time I get to a meet point I call dispatch as soon as I arrive and get the trailer number and ETA of the driver I’m meeting. If 30 minutes pass the point he’s suppose to be there and I still don’t see him I’m calling again and getting his phone number. If you’re waiting “for hours” for a guy that’s sitting at a truck stop one block away from you, that’s your fault. Surely you know this, 40 year driver.
Well now....interesting...

So, what if I don't have a phone? How far/long you want me to take to find one and....sonny.....don't know about where you are but they don't exist around here anymore. There is a viable phone on the IVIS but has been disabled....dispatch at my Hub doesn't read driver inbound messages.....they have to switch back and forth screens and say they don't have time for it.....if you were dying on the side of the road....they would never know it.....until you were late. Oh, they'll send a bitchy "where are you?" message....but not care about yours.

And it took me a year to get reimbursed for fuel ONCE....never again not even .50.

Say, where does it say in my schedule for me to do dispatches/ORS work?

Say, why doesn't YOUR DISPATCH TEAM do all that leg for you and send it via IVIS? Why? Because of people like YOU! They expect you to take up the slack....while they eat snacks and vape in the dispatch office.....and text of course.

And me sitting for hours because of UPS's utter incompetence.....my fault....really? When did you become so pro Company?

Matter of fact.......some would call you afraid or perhaps a boot licker....

Don't lecture me.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Well now....interesting...

So, what if I don't have a phone? How far/long you want me to take to find one and....sonny.....don't know about where you are but they don't exist around here anymore. There is a viable phone on the IVIS but has been disabled....dispatch at my Hub doesn't read driver inbound messages.....they have to switch back and forth screens and say they don't have time for it.....if you were dying on the side of the road....they would never know it.....until you were late. Oh, they'll send a bitchy "where are you?" message....but not care about yours.

And it took me a year to get reimbursed for fuel ONCE....never again not even .50.

Say, where does it say in my schedule for me to do dispatches/ORS work?

Say, why doesn't YOUR DISPATCH TEAM do all that leg for you and send it via IVIS? Why? Because of people like YOU! They expect you to take up the slack....while they eat snacks and vape in the dispatch office.....and text of course.

And me sitting for hours because of UPS's utter incompetence.....my fault....really? When did you become so pro Company?

Matter of fact.......some would call you afraid or perhaps a boot licker....

Don't lecture me.
I will lecture you because you suck at your job. It has nothing to do with being a boot licker, it has everything to do with acting like a professional and doing the job you’re paid to do and not purposely thumbing your nose at the company like a petulant child.

quad decade guy

I will lecture you because you suck at your job. It has nothing to do with being a boot licker, it has everything to do with acting like a professional and doing the job you’re paid to do and not purposely thumbing your nose at the company like a petulant child.
Gosh....tell us more.

Your statements are so interesting.....you aren't going to get the blowback like I'd receive for pure hate/hypocracy reasons...

You supplementing the company's finances(yes, you are) and perpetuating their incompetence......hurts EVERYONE in the long run.

You are part of the problem. Matter of fact.....exactly why UPS sucks so bad. Why the rest of us has to suffer with the inadequacies of the tools to do our job properly. Sound familiar?

Hypocrite.

If you will do a little review...such as I went to the effort of calling my meet guys CENTER FREAKING MANAGER to fix this problem....just makes you look foolish.

See...I'm a boot licker but you are professional...a real hero. Self proclaimed though...

You don't know me...professional superstar(you).

Don't lecture me.....the hours I spent trying to resolve load retainers, safety on our yard...calling District Safety Managers....things that are life and death realities. Calling out Division Managers at safety meetings/conferences.

But then.... I don't hold any special insight for No lost time injury(40 years), Circle of Honor(30 years)...40 year career.....

But then...you don't know me.

quad decade guy

But I’ll bet you’ve had to rebuild a set or two in your day, you’re an mother:censored2:ing pro 💪🏼
I have, especially as a rookie....

But you learn....and ask a lot of questions.......from EXPERIENCED PRO'S. Example: I was taught by an old feeder driver how to run my air lines on the dolly to keep them from getting pinched....he happened to be building a set beside me. A Pro tip I pass on to anyone that will LISTEN.

Maybe pull up a chair and listen....buy em a coke.

Keep digging....
Sorry for not believing a word @olroadbeech types
Say.....why is this improbable? I've seen countless trucks marooned behind an accident because there is no way to back up/turn around.

See, you guys are so blinded by hate....you won't even try. It makes you look very foolish...

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
I have, especially as a rookie....

But you learn....and ask a lot of questions.......from EXPERIENCED PRO'S. Example: I was taught by an old feeder driver how to run my air lines on the dolly to keep them from getting pinched....he happened to be building a set beside me. A Pro tip I pass on to anyone that will LISTEN.

Maybe pull up a chair and listen....buy em a coke.

Keep digging....

Say.....why is this improbable? I've seen countless trucks marooned behind an accident because there is no way to back up/turn around.

See, you guys are so blinded by hate....you won't even try. It makes you look very foolish...
I have no hate in my heart