Coldworld

60 months and counting
So what if you’re instructed not to use delay for any reason? Like we were?
Don’t know why drivers do this…had my boss say and put up in writing all over the feeder office to not use hub delay ever…never. Unless you are blatantly taking extra meal or break times without recording them or sitting on a door 30 minutes after the eld updates that the load is done, I’ve never heard them really make a big deal about something and there’s hundreds of drivers here.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
One standard cake for *damn near 600 fat feeder drivers, boss? What about the others? ***k ‘em? Oh, ok.
Might cost them 50 extra bucks … can’t do that… but they’ll have 20 feeder drivers waiting 2 hours for rigs during peak and nobody says one word…lol OK

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Don’t know why drivers do this…had my boss say and put up in writing all over the feeder office to not use hub delay ever…never. Unless you are blatantly taking extra meal or break times without recording them or sitting on a door 30 minutes after the eld updates that the load is done, I’ve never heard them really make a big deal about something and there’s hundreds of drivers here.
This is a tricky one. I agree with you that once the door is closed it shouldn’t take 30 minutes to outbound the load. However, the PT supes call for a replacement before it is needed because they know it will take 15-20 minutes before yard brings them another empty. So now your board updates to 100% and they are still loading in it and holding you until a shifter shows up with the empty.

Last edited:

Coldworld

60 months and counting
And it will be a 125K loss on his part when his ass gets busted.
And the sup will totally deny they ever said anything…hate to say it but using delay, delay for everything is almost worse.. a bigger red flag that just sitting around being an ass…

Coldworld

60 months and counting
This is a tricky one. I agree with you that once the door is closed it shouldn’t take 30 minutes to outbound the load. However, the PT supes call for a replacement before it is needed because they know it will take 10-15 minutes before yard brings them another empty. So now your board updates to 100% and they are still loading in it and holding you until a shifter shows up with the empty.
We use to have that problem here but it’s gotten much better…let’s face it… we have feeder sups in the hub making sure they get doors closed, especially at peak… they know damn well that those doors go down late all the time..so does dispatch…another present from IE…

Yeet

We use to have that problem here but it’s gotten much better…let’s face it… we have feeder sups in the hub making sure they get doors closed, especially at peak… they know damn well that those doors go down late all the time..so does dispatch…another present from IE…
I wish it was the same here, but it isn’t. Dispatch tells me “don’t let them hold you past 3 or it’s going to miss the train.” So now it is my responsibility to yell at this 20 year old part time supervisor kid to seal my door when he’s getting blown out and doesn’t want to let the trailer go at 3? So I yell enough and he lets it go at 3:20 so now I have to haul ass and put my life and others in jeopardy for fear of missing the rail yard cut off? Sorry. No. That part time sup knows the cut off. It’s the same every day. So I’ll gently remind him when I show up that I need to be pulling off at 3 and my hands are clean after that. If you hold me and we miss the train, that’s his ***k up, not mine.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I wish it was the same here, but it isn’t. Dispatch tells me “don’t let them hold you past 3 or it’s going to miss the train.” So now it is my responsibility to yell at this 20 year old part time supervisor kid to seal my door when he’s getting blown out and doesn’t want to let the trailer go at 3? So I yell enough and he lets it go at 3:15 so now I have to haul ass and put my life and others in jeopardy for fear of missing the rail yard cut off? Sorry. No. That part time sup knows the cut off. It’s the same every day. So I’ll gently remind him when I show up that I need to be pulling off at 3 and my hands are clean after that. If you hold me and we miss the train, that’s his ***k up, not mine.
If I was a sup and the pull time is 3 then I shut the door at 3 and if stuff doesn’t make it oh well…fk it.

Yeet

If I was a sup and the pull time is 3 then I shut the door at 3 and if stuff doesn’t make it oh well…fk it.
If he shuts it at 3, it will make it. But now his trailer is gone and he doesn’t have another empty to load into because yard is backed up so now boxes are stacking up with nowhere to go and he gets yelled at anyway. I’ve worked every side of the operation, I know what goes on. It’s a lose lose situation no matter what side of the fence you’re on.

quad decade guy

Uh no.

You authorized to operate an extendo?

Like load retainers, it gets to a point.....

Won't release the trailer at 3? Ok. There are cameras everywhere.....you say something...he does nothing...extendo, loader etc. still in there.....it's all recorded.....you show a text message sent to dispatch etc.

quad decade guy

Turn the damn thing off after you clock out so “the man” can’t listen to you beating your wife at home. Or, in your case, your wife beating you.

Because it is a DOT requirement to have elogs, you dunce. Paper is only used in emergencies. This is law, not some scheme UPS cooked up to listen in on you farting in your truck all day.
Read my post carefully....you dunce....

quad decade guy

So what if you’re instructed not to use delay for any reason? Like we were?
Here, we go on the merry go round for the flavor of the month.....don't use this....if within 30 seconds of your pull-time....whatever. Always....never....when....if...

If told not to go on delay....then don't.

Next time you are stuck in an accident backup for 3 hours......sit there. Don't call on your personal phone. Send an IVIS text(which they won't/can't read). If they call you on your personal phone....don't answer it. They'll eventually red screen you and answer them....I guarantee they'll read that return text....

Now, if also instructed to call if above such happens......what to do? See?

When(not if) this all comes to a point of disciplinary action(it will)......pull up the "never go on delay message" and go from there.

Ever is a looonnggg time. Never is absolute.

Eventually you will be sitting across from a Division guy, BA, Steward, ORM etc. The conversation will go like this...."What were you doing here, why did this take so long etc....."Well, I would have noted why but I'm not allowed to...." "You have film of all this...right?" "I don't have any way to communicate(2 way)" "except in person......and we got rid of dispatch....in person"
"I work as instructed.....the pt sup wouldn't......"

Now, done correctly.....it will deeply anger a lot of folks.

So, when told not to do something ever....hold them to it.

Stealing time is a whole other subject....which is not delay. Real on property delays are real. If you are held accountable for these delays.......you need to be able to account for them.....make mgt.(yes make) give you a procedure to do such. The grievance procedure will make this all official....in writing. Follow their instructions to the letter....this will also anger a great many people.

This "technique" can be used at any CPU scenario.....etc.

Example: I go to a Hub 50% of my week. This Hub's phones have been decimated and and the one is never answered...add in Covid stuff...they expect you to call them on your personal cell.....nope. So I park and walk in.....takes a lot of time...shrug.
The guard eventually looks up from his phone(inside the shack) and meanders out....still looking at his phone...stuff like that.

100% of the time my IVIS doesn't have a last/home leg....what to do?
This hub causes so much on property time that we eventually got a message "If no load in IVIS....leave(bobtail)(50 miles)"

I create a leg, and go back to my domicile. This has been going on for a year. Absolutely true and exactly as told.
If asked about it......I'd first say "This has been going on for a year....do you know that? Why doesn't my dispatch follow my schedule? etc." "If it doesn't, you need to call dispatch...." "How?" "What if I'm 250 miles from home?" See? Often, My meet guy brings me something off schedule...I just change the leg....which cascades for obvious reasons.....if I didn't, I'd be there a long time....nobody says anything......they can't for all the above reasons.

Note carefully....this has nothing to do with sitting at a Love's for 30 minutes and buying a hotdog and Mountain Dew....while on the clock.

These aren't games......just a guide on how to navigate the quirks of the system......and when in doubt...work as directed....to the letter.

HFolb23

Wut? They told you to do this on purpose? How do you get it out? Drag it? I mean I’ve done that once or twice when a newbie shifter parks bad but as a standard procedure? Hell naw.
Presumably a yard dog will pull the empty back out of that lot, my road tractor doesn’t have a hydraulic lift 5th wheel but the shifters do.

But yeah, when I asked how they expected me to park in that lot those were the directions given to me.