qdg2

Training. If there’s language for training, and I’m sure there is, the value of the CDL is more than compensation for a weeks pay. I don’t think you’re gonna get fired for an accident while training because you’re not on the clock.
I really don't know. I snapped off a glad-hand in productive. Trainer was right there and saw it. He said "go get it fixed and don't do that again". Never talked about again. Not sure what would have happened if I did that off the clock on a Saturday. Really don't. I'd have to report it. I heard of people being able to practice on the weekends...I never did. Didn't have time. 2 days of "training" and I took my test. Straight into productive. 5 days of local and then 12 hour road runs never having been 1 hour from the hub....

For discussion purposes.....what if you took out an overhead door off the clock for example or even totaled a tractor? Snake eye a trailer? All common rookie mistakes.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I really don't know. I snapped off a glad-hand in productive. Trainer was right there and saw it. He said "go get it fixed and don't do that again". Never talked about again. Not sure what would have happened if I did that off the clock on a Saturday. Really don't. I'd have to report it. I heard of people being able to practice on the weekends...I never did. Didn't have time. 2 days of "training" and I took my test. Straight into productive. 5 days of local and then 12 hour road runs never having been 1 hour from the hub....

For discussion purposes.....what if you took out an overhead door off the clock for example or even totaled a tractor? Snake eye a trailer? All common rookie mistakes.
Accidents in training occur all the time. I guess it would be case by case. I still think you would be ok since it’s company sanctioned training. There’s an implied contract, you train for a week and you’ll be compensated with a CDL.

You'd be told to get it fixed, even on a Saturday.

They'd get disqualified.

qdg2

Technically it’s not really working.
With all respect......then technically what is it? Serious question. We had to wear browns. Had to meet every other aspect of being a UPS'er.

To me, it comes down to pkg guys working off the clock etc. What if you fall off the tractor and get really hurt.....workmen's comp recordable eligible? Serious question. What say you?

With all respect......then technically what is it? Serious question. We had to wear browns. Had to meet every other aspect of being a UPS'er.

To me, it comes down to pkg guys working off the clock etc. What if you fall off the tractor and get really hurt.....workmen's comp recordable eligible? Serious question. What say you?
Yes, comp eligible. You are at a company training. Your compensation is a savings of possibly thousands of dollars. Not working for free, not working for your wage.

UnionStrong

Seriously, I have to believe you’re covered by comp. Do you think the union would hang its members out to dry like that?

qdg2

Yes, comp eligible. You are at a company training. Your compensation is a savings of possibly thousands of dollars. Not working for free, not working for your wage.
IDK, I worked for free....bottom line. And it was a time when my family couldn't afford to miss a paycheck. Wife at home and a new child.

BTW, possibly doesn't pay bills.

Say, do pilot's(UPS)(A320 to 747) for example work for free on platform upgrades? Hint, I'd bet not.

UnionStrong

IDK, I worked for free....bottom line. And it was a time when my family couldn't afford to miss a paycheck. Wife at home and a new child.

Say, do pilot's(UPS)(A320 to 747) for example work for free on platform upgrades? Hint, I'd bet not.
How did that one week investment work out? Was it worth it?

Bet all you want, you have no idea what's paid, or negotiated for them and neither do I. You probably shoulda passed on feeder if you couldn't afford it, looks like you made it though. Maybe you underestimated yourself at the time.

qdg2

Bet all you want, you have no idea what's paid, or negotiated for them and neither do I. You probably shoulda passed on feeder if you couldn't afford it, looks like you made it though. Maybe you underestimated yourself at the time.
Naw, 2 days then passed the test.....more than made it. Never even looked in a tractor before day 1. Going to feeders best decision I ever made. As hard as you are trying to disparage me....we made the union negotiated sacrifice.

Naw, 2 days then passed the test.....more than made it. Never even looked in a tractor before day 1. Going to feeders best decision I ever made. As hard as you are trying to disparage me....we made the union negotiated sacrifice.
Disparage? TF are you talking about? Could making such accusations be construed as a personal attack? Saying I'm doing things I'm not doing? Constructing lies that may bring questions about my character? You bet. It's all out there. See?

Thebrownblob

A contrarian by nature.
He didn’t work for free…..

“The average cost of CDL training is between $3000 and $7000. Private truck driving schools will, of course, be more expensive. The initial investment into your trucking career can give you a bit of sticker shock. You may wonder how you can afford to pay for your training in order to start making money

“The average cost of CDL training is between $3000 and $7000. Private truck driving schools will, of course, be more expensive. The initial investment into your trucking career can give you a bit of sticker shock. You may wonder how you can afford to pay for your training in order to start making money
Oh, I'm well aware. Back when I got mine it wasn't so bad, get your permit, pay a buddy a couple hundred to borrow his tractor/trailer for the test. Not the same these days, can cost a ton. $4,500 for the local four-week class, and minimal job placement. A place in the city is $6,000 for a three week course, but many leave there with $60k jobs.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
The training didn't cost me anything except a little sleep and 2 weekends away from family. I worked the weeks before, during and after in package. I went back to package for 2 weeks, then they called me in for my production week. Never looked back. My production week was covering a job, for which I was paid feeder rate.. I looked at the 5 days training as a good investment in my future.

UnionStrong

What have we been saying?