Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I should add that work rules might vary by location but I haven't heard of any that allow dovetailing. New drivers go to the bottom of the Seniority list regardless of where they are in relation to everyone else. There are quite a few in my department with more Company seniority than me because they put off the decision for too long.

Also, some areas have an outlet where you can return to Package. We can anytime but you lose all Center seniority and go to the bottom of your Center list. After 3 years you can return if there is an opening without losing your seniority. Less than a dozen drivers have exercised this option since it was adopted in 2000.

I'm not sure I'm understanding what exactly you are saying. Are you saying, like my situation--going back 22 full-time driving years of seniority--I would go to the bottom of the seniority list? If so, man, that's blasphemy. I mean, what good is your seniority if it can't be carried with you? Isn't one of the main reasons of being in the union, seniority? If I'm understanding you right, your local is doing a horrible job.

Were we are, you could have 35 years of driving seniority, and when you go back to feeders, your 35 years puts you right next to anyone else with that much time. Yeah, I've heard feeder drivers off the street bitch and moan about continually getting bumped lower and lower when every new feeder class starts. To that, I say, who cares? I've been working for this company literally right out of high school, and no way will I ever apologize for my seniority. I just can't imagine losing my seniority because I went into feeders.

Dracula

I worked in the same Region as you, 104 and that rule kept me from ever seriously considering feeders. I had more seniority than any of the feeder drivers, so going to the bottom just was not appealing. But, I could see the point. Some of those guys had been on their run for years, and for me to just one day waltz in and knock them out, just doesn't seem right to me. I had the opportunity to bid that job before they did as I had more seniority. Just one man's opinion.

I don't see the point. You earned all of those years. We have an annual bid here. Not only that, we have a continual bump, so if a job gets cut, that driver can bump anyone with less seniority out of their job. This goes on until someone bids into variable cover. Obviously, seniority is everything here. Apart from peak, we always have routes up for bid here. We have about 320 drivers in our area.

Here, the dividing line is full-time and part-time. A high seniority part timer, when he/she goes full time, starts over in full time seniority, except for vacations.

That's how it is here, too. It's called "SENIORITY". That man's been with the company longer, he's been in the union longer, and he's paid his dues longer.
No fake "classification seniority" here. We have our ONE seniority date, and we bid where we choose with it.

I think you're right. The company seniority date. The day you entered enslavement, paid your dues, however one wants to look at it.

I'm not sure I'm understanding what exactly you are saying. Are you saying, like my situation--going back 22 full-time driving years of seniority--I would go to the bottom of the seniority list? If so, man, that's blasphemy. I mean, what good is your seniority if it can't be carried with you? Isn't one of the main reasons of being in the union, seniority? If I'm understanding you right, your local is doing a horrible job.

Were we are, you could have 35 years of driving seniority, and when you go back to feeders, your 35 years puts you right next to anyone else with that much time. Yeah, I've heard feeder drivers off the street bitch and moan about continually getting bumped lower and lower when every new feeder class starts. To that, I say, who cares? I've been working for this company literally right out of high school, and no way will I ever apologize for my seniority. I just can't imagine losing my seniority because I went into feeders.

Not to start an argument thats been started before. It's by classification here. It was voted in by Teamsters long before I came in so it is what it is. Once you move up you don't go back like some areas allow. That being said........

By SENIORITY you move up to package car from PT if you choose, pass the tests, have a clean license, etc. If you pass or can't pass the above it goes to the next SENIORITY person. When and if you choose/ pass then you are behind them.

By SENIORITY you move up to feeder from package car if you choose, pass the tests, have a clean license, etc. If you pass or can't pass the above it goes to the next SENIORITY person. When and if you choose/ pass then you are behind them.

So..........you're SENIORITY is respected the entire way. You were given first choice/opportunity every step of the way. Your choices are your own, ability to pass the tests your own, ability to keep your nose clean your own. Can't do any or all? It's on you.

Not going to argue if our way is right or wrong. It's just how it is.

I have a feeder question.

Does anyone still have to seal an empty trailer when moving it on the street anymore? Homeland security was behind that after 9/11 ( Like Al-Queda wouldn't know how to break a zip tie ) and they PCM'd it as a requirement for a while but it dawned on me I can't remember the last time we did.

W

want to retire

Here, we pay the ultimate price.......go to the very bottom of your new classification. I had 22 years full-time seniority when I went feeders and have stayed at the bottom for lack of new jobs/economy. See, it's "hard for you to imagine" some things but it's not fantastical for alot of folks at UPS. If I went back to package, I'd go to the very bottom......again.....lower than any rookie. Some Union....huh? We have absolutely nowhere to go. I was bumped personally by a hire off the street, who was hired 15 days before I went feeder(I had 22 years). At my hub, 1 place in seniority can make a huge difference.....like being bumped to the coverage board. Sweet, huh? Though I think I would go crazy with a continual bump.....how could you plan your life? Around here, you're stuck(or happy) with your annual bid for about a year. How has it affected my life? My natural waking hours are 6:30 am to about 22:00pm. My run is 21:45pm to about 7:00am...........180 out. I feel strung out/awful until about Sunday where my weekend is cut short with my family and I start my week. Repeat. There are other runs(few) but all suck like this. But, that's pretty much feeders. This will not change for the rest of my career. Yes, I could've stayed pkg but my career would have ended way before now. Just couldn't take it physically(back), anymore(with nowhere to go)(in pkg). Migraines started about the time I went feeders and I've gained ALOT of weight and I would rate my fitness at about a 2(of 10)(I used to race biathlons)(could run 10 miles in an hour)(@ 40). Now, I work and sleep(or try to). Since we cannot bid building to building(even though it's right down the road), I cannot bid say, aircraft maintenance(I'm a certified aircraft mechanic). Without paying the ultimate, ultimate price of quitting! Stupid. OK. That's my take. I admire those that have a better time of it. And to those that say "you knew this before you went...." I don't think anyone truly knows how they will cope with it. And I think we all say "how bad could it be?"

W

want to retire

My understanding is that every trailer loaded or empty must be sealed. The idea is not whether the zip ty can be broken but that it is. If it is or missing, the trailer can be determined if tampered with. I.E. put bombs in or some such.

over9five

Staff member

Does anyone still have to seal an empty trailer when moving it on the street anymore? Homeland security was behind that after 9/11 ( Like Al-Queda wouldn't know how to break a zip tie ) and they PCM'd it as a requirement for a while but it dawned on me I can't remember the last time we did.
We do not seal empties here.

My understanding is that every trailer loaded or empty must be sealed. The idea is not whether the zip ty can be broken but that it is. If it is or missing, the trailer can be determined if tampered with. I.E. put bombs in or some such.

Loads are sealed depending on mode of travel. Hard seal for rail, cable for road. Route trailers have a padlock. Empties in the yard have a ziptie placed on it by the yard checkers to verify that it is empty. We break them off to verify it is empty before taking on the street. Kind of defeats the purpose.

A ziptie will not keep a terrorist out and an authority figure will want to break it for an inspection.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder

We've never implemented that fully here although it's been mentioned in passing sometimes. MT's from TX come sealed, sometimes CA, nothing from other areas that I'm aware of. Usually guys seal MT air trailers going to the airport because they make you open each door for inspection prior to entering.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Our work rules were negotiated in 2000 and 'fixed' in 2009 but the classification seniority process has never been an issue. I guess it's a matter of your perspective but to me, just going by Company Seniority for classification presents all sorts of problems. A couple of scenarios:

Employee A works P/T for 3 years until eligible for Package, qualifies, and works 17 years in Package working his way to a nice route.
Employee B has one month seniority on Employee A, but stays in P/T working his way to the cushiest of Hub jobs: parking cars, damages, you name it. He decides to go driving and bumps Employee A.

One year later, Employee B has earned one year of Safe Driving and bumps into Feeders, displacing other 20 year drivers from day runs back to nights.

No one is being denied their option to exercise their seniority by our process. When you are eligible to drive, you can exercise your seniority. If you don't you are end-tailed when you do. Everyone can sign up on the Feeder list by Seniority every year, and if their turn comes up that's the time they can guarantee they will go into Feeders at their guaranteed position by Company Seniority. Delay that decision and you are end-tailed. We paid our dues in the Hub to get to Package, and pay them in Package to get to Feeders. Feeders is like working for a whole different UPS so it's appropriate to pay your dues to get the best opportunities there.

If we were to change how we do this, you would see the most movement in the bottom 2/3's which is where the transition from Nights to Days is most present and a lot of the shifting work would go to guys who've been in Feeders more than 6 years.
I think we're happy with the way we do things.

Dracula

This is what drives me nuts about our jobs. Different areas, different rules. I'm a little more than half way down the seniority list. I've never been bumped, but I'm sure it will happen at some point. During the regular part of the year, guys are continually bumping into variable cover and other jobs. If you come back here past the May bid, you DO dovetail in, but as soon as a route comes up for bid, you're welcome to bid on it. You don't go to the back of the line, certainly not behind a new hire off the street.

We are told to always use a yellow zip tie to seal MT's. We were told it was DOT regulations. I'm always seeing other truck companies that run MT's because you can see their version of those plastic ties.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
Seniority by craft only makes sense if you don't plan to bounce back and forth between crafts. In SC, your company time is only good for vacations and retirement. We choose bids by length of time in job class- IE full time verses part time. It makes for some strange bid lists.
For example- I was hired 2 years before my coworker, but I spent 3 years as a PT clerk(then went full time package). My coworker was hired off the street, as a package car driver. He became a feeder coverage driver(did both package and feeders, as needed to cover vacations, days off.....). When a full time feeder job came open, he bid for the job, as there was no one else that could do the job. I then went to feeder school, to cover both feeder jobs. I finally went feeders full time, as the junior man, and another driver was promoted to the job of feeder coverage. Sounds pretty straight forward, huh?
Now it get complicated. Because I was hired before my coworker, I bid my vacations before him. The feeder coverage driver ALSO bids his vacations before my coworker, as he was hired only 2 months after me. But, when it comes to the 6 month bid time, my coworker bids before me, as he has more fulltime seniority then I do. And, it has even gotten worse. Another package driver went to feeder school just 6 months ago, but he has more company and full time seniority then the 3 of us. However, since there is not a full time run open, all he can do is bid the coverage work as it comes up. If another run should open up, he will get it, work the new run till the next bid, then bid his seniority in feeders, while the poor guy that has been doing coverage for the last 7 years gets to STILL do coverage.... How fair is that?

Clear as mud?

Dracula

What isn't fair about full-time seniority trumping all? I can understand if the street driver makes his time before a part-timer gets his full time seniority, but if a package car driver comes back to feeders, he's earned his time. I have nothing against the guys off the street, but I get tired of hearing them complain about getting bumped when package car drivers come back to feeders. Bottom line: if they get bumped, it's because they don't have the time. The rules didn't change AFTER they got hired; they've been that way all along.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
How do feeders get to look the way they do? I can only describe them as overweight zombies.

A lot of it has to do with the complete 180 we make in going from a very physical job to a job with very little physical activity. Then you factor in working nights which completely messes up your circadian rhythm. THEN you factor in that if you eat out on the road, very little in the way of healthful food is available. Also, Feeder drivers tend to much on snacks to help them stay awake: my weakness is salty chips. When I'm on nights I tend to nap during my personal time. If I'm on days I like to go on a hike but that can get a little dicey when there is a hungry bear around that might have a taste for Feeder Driver (yes we have Bears in AZ). We had a bunch of Feeder drivers go on that wacko diet that they give you the female pregnancy hormone (and stick to a 500 calorie diet). They all dropped weight but it came back pretty quick. It's extra tough for the Dispatch drivers & Back Up Feeder drivers as their schedule can change weekly or daily. Try building a workout schedule around that!

Why do package car drivers look like suicidal Auschwitz residents?
A feeder comeback to your question is " Because your wife is a good cook ;) "
Nice one! And the beauty of working nights is you're up during that sweet spot of 3 pm to 6 pm when the housewives are extra bored...