Ask a Feeder Driver, Feeder Driver FAQ

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by 104Feeder, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Dracula

Dracula Package Car is cake compared to this...

So I would reward that manager with a week or two of two and three shifts an hour.

2. over9five

over9five Moderator Staff Member

I'd slow down instead...

3. Butters243

Butters243 Member

I was hired off the street and have 7 years seniority. In Feeders, drivers with 15 years don't have annual bid jobs yet. I have always been on-call and I might get 2-3 weekly coverage jobs a year even during peak. I have worked every day this peak, but seniority guys under me have not. Expeditors/Brokers pick up loads every night, greivances lost, saying that work was previously forcasted. Guys have retired then their jobs cut saying the work was "absorbed into the system". A few drivers have gone to the pkg car. After peak I expect to be layed-off for the 5th year in a row. I usually bump one PT loader and I'm brought back around May. If we get a bad snowstorm, I will be pulled out to drive and I better be shaved and have a uniform. I keep looking for the light at the end of my tunnel. Welcome to Metro Detroit. I love my job, but I wish I worked more.

4. Dracula

Yeah, I think I just said that.

5. Dracula

NO offense, but I can't imagine working for 7 years being on call the whole time. I would find a full-time trucking job with another company. We have had a few guys that have gotten fired for one reason or another, and almost all of them have hooked up with other CDL trucking companies with full-time work. I suppose UPS just isn't a company to work for unless you come from inside the building. I know that doesn't help you, or make you feel better, but that is the reality. Sorry that things are so bad in Detroit, it's not that way further south and west...a few of our lower guys go back to package car, but that doesn't last too long.

I wouldn't waste time at UPS when you might find another full-time job elsewhere.

6. over9five

Once again, it was a joke, brother.
    Let me explain it to you:
    You said to respond by reducing your moves per hour

I then insinuated that amount of moves would be speeding up for me. Haha

Not as funny when you have to spell it out...

7. serenity now

serenity now Guest

never is

8. Ms.PacMan

Ms.PacMan Well-Known Member

9. Dracula

They wouldn't. They're talking about using UPS freight and subcontractors to haul feeder work. If we let that happen, it would be like the levees failing during Katrina as far as our work goes. Ask any feeder driver about the subcontracting during peak...they'll tell you how much of our work goes to those guys.

10. cachsux

cachsux Wah

They wouldn't make that mistake here. 50 shifters can lock this building pretty easy and not even be obvious about it.

11. over9five

There's more gypsies than us year round. Consider Amazon, basically ALL Amazon gets to our hubs via gypsy.
    We're bleeding feeder jobs faster every year.

12. serenity now

serenity now Guest

where can i get one of those handy waist extenders that turns size 44 pants into size 45?
    oh wait, is this off topic?

13. over9five

Roger that.

14. tarbar66

tarbar66 Active Member

I remember 10 years ago there was talk of Feeders having a name change to Transportation. Did that ever happen?

With UPS loving Logistics and UPS Freight going to all brown tractors anything is possible. A center I used to work at has UPS Freight using a corner of the lot for their local staging area and base of p/u and del. operation. Is this happening anywhere else?

15. barnyard

barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

I wondered about that.

A couple of years ago, a driver supe said that they were looking for a way to base 1 or 2 freight drivers out of a couple of outstate centers. She said that it would all Freight to expand faster. I asked what they would do if work slowed down or they needed work and she suggested that they could do some of the small package feeder work.

The idea got shut down, but I could see it working well IF they allowed feeder guys from my building the chance to bid that work. In my center, we went from 9 FT feeder jobs to 4 in the last 15 years.

16. raceanoncr

raceanoncr Well-Known Member

I saw this coming from day one, when UPS bought Overnite. Was it 2004? There abouts.

UPS and the union said it would never happen, that UPSF would NEVER haul UPS parcel stuff and vice-versa. Hmmmmm.....

Now, for some strange reason, UPSF tractors went from brown/gray/blue to all UPS brown. Sale on brown paint?

It might not happen this coming contract but it WILL happen. Look at YRC. It used to be Yellow Freight. Yellow bought Roadway Freight. Yellow said the two would continue to operate separately. Now, Yellow's hauling Roadway trailers. Roadway's hauling Yellow trailers. The company changed it's name to YRC. Hmmmm....what's that stand for?

17. barnyard

barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

That HAD to happen. Yellow was bleeding money to the point it looked like they would be bankrupt with an asset sale. One of the only ways to save the company was to combine operations. I have not checked their stock price lately, when I was in feeder school, my trainer had their stock on his home page, as his dad had quite a bit of stock as a retiree. At that time, it was trading below $1 a share and was approaching junk status. The fact that the company is still in business is a testament to management's commitment to keeping the company running.

In my area, they are adding drivers. Not many union LTL companies left and it is good to see them being relatively successful. LTL competition is fierce.

18. scratch

scratch Least Best Moderator Staff Member

YRC also quit putting money into the Teamsters Pension Fund to stay afloat, I don't know if they are still doing that. Just like our business, its difficult to be competitive against non-union companies.

19. tae111

tae111 Member

In my area we hire feeder drivers off the road by a ratio of 2 from package 2 from feeder transfer and 1 off the road. When I finally decided to go to Feeders I had 25 years in package. As it worked out the next guy ahead of me on the feeder seniority list had 1 month with the company. I get vacation pick and layoff protection over him but he gets job pick, overtime pick and everything else.

20. over9five

Do you feel this is fair? I think it's insane.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List