quad decade guy

Well, the DOK says when operating yard vehicles. I believe it refers to yard birds, tugs, irreg carts, not to tractors or package cars. They need some way of being seen in the yard.

Here, it also says "yard vehicles must be equipped with operable headlights, hazard lights, or reflective material in order to provide 360 degree visibility," meaning any one of the three.

The proof is that our irreg carts that are authorized to drive in the yard have only a headlight. No hazard lights or reflective material.

Like I said, just my opinion.

Here, the procedure is to use 4 ways only while backing and there is no procedure for using headlights while in the yard. I just find headlights blinding and annoying and 4 ways confusing if used all the time.

If it is different there, that's OK.

Well. it's not clear is it? Should be crystal and without ambiguity. Such as including carts, forklifts

etc. But then, the carts, forklifts don't stop at stop signs etc. Walking through overhead doors- ad

nauseam. We had many rentals arrive this week. As per annual, they are parked in fire zones and cover

up fire hydrants and will stay there until deployed. Stabbing yourself in the face will be more

productive than trying to get them moved. But then there are the contractors.....

And for all you boo birds that "just mind your own business", imagine the fire trucks trying to access a

burning hub(whatever) full of people. Imagine. Want to experience apathy, laziness, bored indifference,

incompetence and negligence? Start up the chain of command with mgt. The parallel path of the Union

will be similar.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
After not driving like an idiot the best advice I was given for driving on the yard was to make any move overly obvious. Leave no doubt about where you are going.

Also, it's usually obvious someone is planning to back because they are driving on the left against traffic flow to set up their back. It's not unusual to see three lanes of traffic with the inside waiting for a door to pull so they can back to the wall or build a set and the outside like normal traffic.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Which is why you are supposed to tap your horn more than once while backing.

Many times we have to pull trailers or sets off the wall and pre-trip on the yard. If they are slow to seal your lead the rear trailer might finish before you get your set built.

I see about 100 package cars all over the yard every morning with their flashers on. Are they all backing up? :)
For awhile we weren't allowed to build sets on the door because of safety but that changed after they realized it was messing with their LV times numbers. What we had to do was go to rear of back trailer , bang on side and yell "hooking up!".

That worked for awhile until a PTer fell down and got hurt. then we had to go into building and tell the loaders that we were hooking up. they could get out of trailer if they wanted but most just continued loading. The tug test was the problem. you didnt want to pull off the door and we don't have trailer locks on our doors like most of our customer shippers like Amazon etc.

Indecisi0n

For awhile we weren't allowed to build sets on the door because of safety but that changed after they realized it was messing with their LV times numbers. What we had to do was go to rear of back trailer , bang on side and yell "hooking up!".

That worked for awhile until a PTer fell down and got hurt. then we had to go into building and tell the loaders that we were hooking up. they could get out of trailer if they wanted but most just continued loading. The tug test was the problem. you didnt want to pull off the door and we don't have trailer locks on our doors like most of our customer shippers like Amazon etc.
I would never bang a set together with people in the rear trailer . The push is too violent in my opinion. I don't even like doing it in a big box while people are in there but at least I have more control on setting up the tractor to the pin so the movement isn't too bad . If they aren't done loading in the rear I line everything up and wait . If all is good I'll go inside and seal the rear before I hit it to make certain no one is jumping in .

Johney

I would never bang a set together with people in the rear trailer . The push is too violent in my opinion. I don't even like doing it in a big box while people are in there but at least I have more control on setting up the tractor to the pin so the movement isn't too bad . If they aren't done loading in the rear I line everything up and wait . If all is good I'll go inside and seal the rear before I hit it to make certain no one is jumping in .
There was so much sexual innuendo in that post coming from you I am having a hard time understanding what you were saying.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Also, it's usually obvious someone is planning to back

The key word you said is "usually"

The time that it is not obvious could result in an accident...or worse.

It's not unusual to see three lanes of traffic with the inside waiting for a door to pull so they can back to the wall or build a set and the outside like normal traffic.

Maybe in a big hub.

But a small hub or center, you back from the travel lane.

Leave no doubt about where you are going.

Exactly.

If you are backing....put on your 4 ways. Everyone will know exactly what you are doing.

Johney

The key word you said is "usually"

The time that it is not obvious could result in an accident...or worse.

Maybe in a big hub.

Exactly.

If you are backing....put on your 4 ways. Everyone will know exactly what you are doing.
Hasn't happened in my time in feeders.
Travel lane? In a small center, what the hell is that?
Give it up it's different here, if you're not driving with your 4 ways where myself and Rick are you'll be yelled at by everyone calling you an idiot.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Maybe in a big hub.

Small hubs are usually the worst because they are processing too much volume and weren't built to handle ZZZ trailers. We've had new drivers come back from a few of these places and it looks like they have PTSD, they are that tough to get around or build sets in, especially with Kenworth CNG tractors.

I go to 3 of the top 5 UPS hubs by volume on a regular basis and they are wide open compared to the small buildings I mentioned above.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Small hubs are usually the worst because they are processing too much volume and weren't built to handle ZZZ trailers.

Yep.

Too small for all the tractors and trailers driving around a small yard and 4 ways flashing everywhere, and all the headlights blinding you, nobody has any idea what the other guy is doing.