UnconTROLLed

perfection
Their numbers are the last thing on my mind when working. I always chuckle when supervisors try to hurry me. They are the ones who should be hurrying, to get me help fixing the :censored2: show they created. Of course they don't have the power or authority to create the ridiculous metrics and resulting mess, but deal with the consequences of someone elses poor planning and that's another matter.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Just so you know, if you do start scratching, after a few days you will be half an hour over allowed again, even if you haven't slowed down. They move the goal post on you, and they try to trick you into doing it to yourself by dangling bonus in front of you (if applicable). Based on my observations, it seems like they want all the in town routes at 22 sporh. The runner gunners who get 25+ sporh always get a couple hours bonus, and their time allowances don't seem to change.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Just a scare tactic or should I be concerned?

It's just a scare tactic. Be safe and don't wreck the truck.

I would come up to them on days that my truck was fked if they were bitching at me and told them to come out with me TODAY.....none of those fools ever did...always had an excuse...

The icing on the cake for that is....

You want them to come with you, and demonstrate all the methods.

This is a startling development!!!

I have never heard of such a thing at UPS???

Let me make a few calls and get back to you.

Supe: Hey bubble, you were an hour over yesterday.

Bubble: Huh ?

Supe: Yeah.... an hour over.

Bubble: What ?

Supe: Dude, an hour over.... what happened ?

Bubble: I don't know.

When they have to repeat everything 3 times, they get tired of asking. :biggrin:

-Bug-

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Ask them to pull the vOJS and review it with you, it will show exactly what stops you lost all the time at....and then go from there on improving.

A virtual OJS is a joke, it only gives "general" time allowances and is not based on a

physical time study performed by IE. A real time study is to fair.

A virtual OJS is only a suggestion....

-Bug-

F

Frankie's Friend

A virtual OJS is a joke, it only gives "general" time allowances and is not based on a

-Bug-
A "real" time study involves no talking to customers and being psychologically and physically rushed by the ors.

The next day's pcm will be that we have to ask customers why they use our competition to ship their packages and/or telling us now to measure the huge pkgs they're shipping and ask them to use UPS Freight because the girth is blah blah blah and it's going to cost the another $500.00 per pkg.

It's wonder some drivers, after being harassed about being overallowed, don't snap.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
A "real" time study involves no talking to customers and being psychologically and physically rushed by the ors.

I can't remember an ORS conducting an actual time study.

3-day ride evaluation, was always their thing.

Back in the day, they tried to step on the back of your heels to increase walk pace.

Try that now.... and wind up with an assault charge and a restraining order.

It's wonder some drivers, after being harassed about being overallowed, don't snap.

The company has gotten more selective, on who they mess with.

They look for soft targets.

Loose lips.... sink ships.

2 year driver with a Land Rover.... and photos all over FaceBook....

-Bug-

ski or die

Ski or Die
The center manager (& ors) took one of our older drivers into the office three times about his "overallowed". The third time he asked for a steward. The company refused to give him one.

The steward came into the office anyway and they threw him out.

The steward filed a grievance and charges with the area NLRB office.

The BA called the labor board and nullified the steward's charges.

Moral of the story:
Be prepared to go it alone if your ba sucks.

Do everything by the book.
I was a steward for several years before I retired. We had issues with our BA also. On one occasion, I lost a grievance over a seniority issue. I had a meeting with our local President. He agreed the BA had not done his job. He was willing to file charges against him. I didn't like anyone to lose their jobs, so we brought the BA into the meeting and discussed the issue. He agreed to resolve it. I did not even have to go to a meeting with the company and it was resolved correctly. After that, the BA did not try to screw over any of my grievances. But, after I retired, another employee caught him in some serious dishonesty. He was forced to resign.

F

Frankie's Friend

I was a steward for several years before I retired. We had issues with our BA also. On one occasion, I lost a grievance over a seniority issue. I had a meeting with our local President. He agreed the BA had not done his job. He was willing to file charges against him. I didn't like anyone to lose their jobs, so we brought the BA into the meeting and discussed the issue. He agreed to resolve it. I did not even have to go to a meeting with the company and it was resolved correctly. After that, the BA did not try to screw over any of my grievances. But, after I retired, another employee caught him in some serious dishonesty. He was forced to resign.
Unfortunately the business agent is also the president.

Dragon

Package Center Manager

-Bug-

vOJS is a great tool, use it everyday.

You will disagree regardless.

I would love for us to go back to a real time study. It is what it is...

F

Frankie's Friend

Why would the company go back toward an honest assessment?
It's no secret the "standards: change with every pay increase.

And the ors and staff sit and laugh as mentally vulnerable drivers run to stay out of the office for overallowed.

How many of you in supervision can run scratch daily without the 02 diad code?
Evidently not many or you would get rid of that code.

Until then the rule of the day is fair days work for a fair days pay.

Why would the company go back toward an honest assessment?
It's no secret the "standards: change with every pay increase.

And the ors and staff sit and laugh as mentally vulnerable drivers run to stay out of the office for overallowed.

How many of you in supervision can run scratch daily without the 02 diad code?
Evidently not many or you would get rid of that code.

Until then the rule of the day is fair days work for a fair days pay.
Our pay increases have never matched our workload increases

TheMachine

Are you sure you want to punch out?
I’m a new driver (less than 1 yr) I’ve been told multiple times by different sups that I was promoted as a “scratch” driver and I need to scratch EVERY day. And if I don’t it’s going to be a problem for me. I know I shouldn’t worry about their numbers but I really just want to stay off the radar and not have a target on my back. I work hard and give 100% every day. The majority of days I run scratch and if I’m over it’s not by a lot. However, there are still some days when things aren’t going my way and it’s a struggle. They don’t care though. All they look at is the bottom line. Just a scare tactic or should I be concerned?

I would ask them to just demote me to a regular driver then....it’s not you, it’s me. Sorry sup.

rod

Retired 22 years

You mean the ones that were always done in perfect weather with loads that were gone over with a fine tooth comb to make sure everything was in order and there were no off areas--and 30 residentials off a strange route weren't thrown in the back of your truck at the last minute? I could go for months at a time with a bricked out load and the days of the time study you could square-dance in my truck and not touch a package. It happened all the time. It was so obvious what was going on it wasn't even funny.

Dr.Brownz

So if a stop takes 15-20 minutes everyday you will pick the one time that it only took 11 as the amount of time it "should" take right? That is why you are a joke. Blatant intellectual dishonesty

lolbr

My last ride along I got comments from the supervisor (not my normal supervisor) all day about how good of a pace I was keeping. That changed the next day when he saw I was still more than 45 minutes over.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
My last ride along I got comments from the supervisor (not my normal supervisor) all day about how good of a pace I was keeping. That changed the next day when he saw I was still more than 45 minutes over.

Sounds like you need to “run” a little faster

35years

Gravy route

Yep,
Great tool IF you want to manipulate over/under, just a few clicks away.

We had an experienced, consistent route driver suddenly 30 min to 1 hour more over-allowed. He was doing the same amount of stops in the same amount of time...

Turns out one of the sups had changed the programed speed limits on the major roads on his route...30 MPH now 70 MPH.

Took 15 min to fix. Abracadabra! He is back to normal performance.

So I checked my programmed speed limits...Not even close to real. Check yours, just click on the road when looking at ORION on the screen in the morning.

Over/under is a manipulated. The Union has never recognized the "performance" standards.

Last edited: