Central,Western PA and 243 count today

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Central states is a joke no doubt. My point is, ups would have agreed in 1997 to adopt a new mutually controlled plan.

Just because a pension is frozen does not mean the company doesn’t contribute to retirement. Many, if not most UPSers would applaud the freezing of their pensions. If I were in some of those pensions, I would vote to freeze them in a heartbeat.

They can unfreeze it just as easy as they can freeze it

I’d look elsewhere

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

What confuses me is constant blame to the ibt when Ups members didn’t give the ibt a strong hand to negotiate with....everyone should look at themselves in the mirror....we as members gave them a lame vote turn out on a strike authorization.....majority of members won’t enforce the current contract.....and members on here want the ibt to gamble on a strike with the possibility that 75% of members won’t/can’t walk off the job......a failed strike would destroy the job that most upsers have now good full time wage,healthcare and pension......but who am I to think reasonably

What confuses me is constant blame to the ibt when Ups members didn’t give the ibt a strong hand to negotiate with....everyone should look at themselves in the mirror....we as members gave them a lame vote turn out on a strike authorization.....majority of members won’t enforce the current contract.....and members on here want the ibt to gamble on a strike with the possibility that 75% of members won’t/can’t walk off the job......a failed strike would destroy the job that most upsers have now good full time wage,healthcare and pension......but who am I to think reasonably
And when over 63% vote and over 96% say no. Now who do you blame?

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier

So..What are the differences with our membership and our current leadership between l997 and 2018..What you stated was probably bantered about 21 years ago.

In 97 in our local we had only 2 members out of over a thousand who crossed on the first day, after that not. Where are you getting that 75 percent, is it the from the part time work members who consist of about 65 percent of the total UPS membership? From my years of experience they could care less if they were on strike or locked out, consider the pathetic starting wage or 10 or 13 dollars per hour. McDonalds pays better and you are not risking your health or stress at being yelled at.

We gave the IBT a 96 percent strike authorization..In "97" our strike vote was raising hands at our local union hall..It was over 96 percent. Granted only about 20 percent of our membership bothered to return the vote, but that percentage was probably the same in "97"

OK..Now seriously who exactly is to Blame..

Undertow

I don't think the average part timer and the average driver with say a dozen or more years on the road can ever become "We" and that clearly is the weak link the company is exploiting with Hoffa operating in a manner that suggests he's working for the board room in Atlanta rather than the members. Drivers and full time hourlies mostly care and part timers mostly don't. Hoffa knows it. The company sure as heck knows it and neither will lift a finger to change the lynchpin that holds the foundation of a dive and conquer strategy that both somehow feel serves their interests.

Bob11B

So..What are the differences with our membership and our current leadership between l997 and 2018..What you stated was probably bantered about 21 years ago.

In 97 in our local we had only 2 members out of over a thousand who crossed on the first day, after that not. Where are you getting that 75 percent, is it the from the part time work members who consist of about 65 percent of the total UPS membership? From my years of experience they could care less if they were on strike or locked out, consider the pathetic starting wage or 10 or 13 dollars per hour. McDonalds pays better and you are not risking your health or stress at being yelled at.

We gave the IBT a 96 percent strike authorization..In "97" our strike vote was raising hands at our local union hall..It was over 96 percent. Granted only about 20 percent of our membership bothered to return the vote, but that percentage was probably the same in "97"

OK..Now seriously who exactly is to Blame..
Our union is 100% to blame, before he vote I didn’t see anyone from our union once. After it passed, they were there with breakfast trying to get the preloaders to sign up....where the :censored2: were they to influence before the vote?! One meeting that I heard through the grapevine and attended and that’s it

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

I don't think the average part timer and the average driver with say a dozen or more years on the road can ever become "We" and that clearly is the weak link the company is exploiting with Hoffa operating in a manner that suggests he's working for the board room in Atlanta rather than the members. Drivers and full time hourlies mostly care and part timers mostly don't. Hoffa knows it. The company sure as heck knows it and neither will lift a finger to change the lynchpin that holds the foundation of a dive and conquer strategy that both somehow feel serves their interests.
That’s the point I was trying to make....most members don’t care about the contract year round and only speak up online against ups hoping there management team doesn’t find out

Rack em

Made the Podium
Both sides said they weren’t going budge at all....so what would you do?
Strike until demands are met. It's the only way to accomplish anything if both sides won't budge. By just accepting a useless garbage contract is telling Ups we will do the same thing in future contracts. Gotta let them know we are willing to fight and not just roll over. Unfortunately our current union leadership is weak and/or in bed with the company so Ups got what they wanted this contract while we the union workers got our voices and votes ignored.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
In your opinion should the ibt let those locals strike individually or try to take the whole country out and hope everyone walks.....if you were in charge what would you do?
I would have done whatever it took to NOT bring a second lesser offer to a Local or Region that rejected the previous offer, from a Company like UPS that continues to record profits....and yes that includes striking wherever feasible and prudent.

I also likely would never have allowed the first offer to even be voted on, until UPS retracted their threat of certain provisions being a "one time offer" and off the table in the event of a No Vote.

It was like our negotiators were akin to Barney Fife at a gun fight....with no intention of ever taking their one bullet out of their pocket.

Don_Knotts_Barney_and_the_bullet_Andy_Griffith_Show.jpg

I would have done whatever it took to NOT bring a second lesser off to a Local or Region that rejected the previous offer, from a Company like UPS that continues to record profits....and yes that includes striking wherever feasible and prudent.

I also likely would never have allowed the first offer to even be voted on, until UPS retracted their threat of certain provisions being a "one time offer" and off the table in the event of a No Vote.

It was like our negotiators were akin to Barney Fife at a gun fight....with no intention of ever taking their one bullet out of their pocket.

The IBT forced the second offer

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

I would have done whatever it took to NOT bring a second lesser offer to a Local or Region that rejected the previous offer, from a Company like UPS that continues to record profits....and yes that includes striking wherever feasible and prudent.

Everyone online said it was a threat and there was no way the second offer would be worse than the first....I guess the Internet geniuses guided members in the wrong direction.....the members of those locals tried to squeeze for more and got burned