Classic FedEx Incident

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I love it when someone who is really sick pulls through, and then God gets the credit. We prayed really hard for Joe and it worked!! Jesus is so great!!

But if Joe dies, it must have been God's will. God bless Joe and his family.

The worst are Prosperity Christians (think Trump) who believe that material prosperity is the outcome of faith and righteousness. God smiles upon the Mercedes and Porsche crowd who also have Lear Jets and yachts.

Ridiculous...all of it.

Let me get this straight. You don't believe God exists because He doesn't do what you think he should and you don't like how others misinterpret scripture?

vantexan

how bout myopic
What did I say that's untrue? A lot of people claim to be Christian, yes, but if they are practicing Christianity to the best of their ability they aren't doing the things listed, among other things.

The ironic thing about those who hate Christianity is they are often for a communal approach to economics, spreading the wealth. If you read about the early days of the Church you'll find they sold their possessions, and held all things in common. And they were pacifists. It was a belief system that spread quickly because it was so diametrically opposed to the brutality and oppression of the Roman Empire.

Nolimitz

What did I say that's untrue? A lot of people claim to be Christian, yes, but if they are practicing Christianity to the best of their ability they aren't doing the things listed, among other things.

The ironic thing about those who hate Christianity is they are often for a communal approach to economics, spreading the wealth. If you read about the early days of the Church you'll find they sold their possessions, and held all things in common. And they were pacifists. It was a belief system that spread quickly because it was so diametrically opposed to the brutality and oppression of the Roman Empire.
did I say anything was untrue? No the word was:
my·op·ic
/ˌmīˈäpik/
adjective
adjective: myopic
  1. nearsighted.
    h
    Similar:
    short-sighted
    nearsighted
    as blind as a bat
    purblind
    • lacking imagination, foresight, or intellectual insight.

vantexan

did I say anything was untrue? No the word was:
my·op·ic
/ˌmīˈäpik/
adjective
adjective: myopic
  1. nearsighted.
    h
    Similar:
    short-sighted
    nearsighted
    as blind as a bat
    purblind
    • lacking imagination, foresight, or intellectual insight.
Yes, I know what myopic means. But in light of the other poster's negativity I asked was there something I said that was untrue?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Let me get this straight. You don't believe God exists because He doesn't do what you think he should and you don't like how others misinterpret scripture?

No. Not at all. I'm alluding to the common Christian practice of attributing "good" to God and letting Him (for you) off the hook for the "bad". Thought it was pretty clear.

59 Dano

No. Not at all. I'm alluding to the common Christian practice of attributing "good" to God and letting Him (for you) off the hook for the "bad". Thought it was pretty clear.

It's clear that you're ignorant of scripture and prefer to cherry pick something that some Christians do, make a big deal about it, and then use that as an excuse take shots at the religion. Straw man arguments are your specialty.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
It's clear that you're ignorant of scripture and prefer to cherry pick something that some Christians do, make a big deal about it, and then use that as an excuse take shots at the religion. Straw man arguments are your specialty.

It's clear you're just plain ignorant. Go pray, but only after you buff Fred's silverware.

Meat

Actually, in some of his posts, he has legitimately pointed out why people reach out for the “Starman in the Sky”. In your case, it’s probably because you have been instructed by a medical professional not to consume alcohol - based on my professional experience as an EAP, you very much come across as a “dry drunk.” He’s not “cherry picking,” just pointing out the obvious.

59 Dano

Actually, in some of his posts, he has legitimately pointed out why people reach out for the “Starman in the Sky”. In your case, it’s probably because you have been instructed by a medical professional not to consume alcohol - based on my professional experience as an EAP, you very much come across as a “dry drunk.” He’s not “cherry picking,” just pointing out the obvious.

He's highlighting actions that he doesn't like and using those as the broad brush that explains his beliefs. He does that because he can't really explain what his problem with it is (though it's probably not too hard to figure out) and it's easier to take shots at low hanging fruit, which is what he's always done on this topic.

But you can call it whatever you wish.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
He's highlighting actions that he doesn't like and using those as the broad brush that explains his beliefs. He does that because he can't really explain what his problem with it is (though it's probably not too hard to figure out) and it's easier to take shots at low hanging fruit, which is what he's always done on this topic.

But you can call it whatever you wish.

Believe whatever you want, because I don't really care. I "attack" Christians for several reasons. First, so many are utter hypocrites. They don't live the life. Other claim Christianity is under attack by some organized Left Wing conspiracy. It isn't. People are turning away from ALL religions because they see the money angle and the illogical faith in deities where there is zero proof of anything tangible. Christianity is just the big player in this country. I think Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, and all the rest are more of the same. Man-made creations to ease the fear of death and explain away the inexplicable with easy "answers" that aren't anything but meaningless platitudes.

If anything, Christianity gets preferred status among religions. We have freedom of religion Constitutionally guaranteed, but the only religion that is really acceptable to the Right is Christianity. They have little to no tolerance for the beliefs of others, which have just as little merit to me. Christianity is also a big part of our politics, and there really isn't a separation of church and state like there should be, also under the Constitution. We shouldn't have judges passing out Bibles or a Vice President who clearly favors his choice of religion over others. But we do, and that's what you want. Because you're a Christian, you think it's OK to give your choice of belief favored status. I don't.

You are the very definition of low-hanging fruit. Easy picking, and ripe for being proven wrong.

59 Dano

Believe whatever you want, because I don't really care. I "attack" Christians for several reasons. First, so many are utter hypocrites. They don't live the life.

LOL, you don't know what you're talking about. At all. What is "the life" that they're supposed to live?

Other claim Christianity is under attack by some organized Left Wing conspiracy. It isn't.

It's just an illusion that a baker was dragged into a ridiculous lawsuit because he wouldn't bake a cake for an event that wasn't consistent with his beliefs. Three separate times, no less. And Chick-Fil-A doesn't catch flak from lefties because it states that it follows the biblical definition of marriage. And maybe you'd like to go to a college campus and state that homosexuality is a sin.

And so on.
And so on.
And so on.

People are turning away from ALL religions because they see the money angle and the illogical faith in deities where there is zero proof of anything tangible. Christianity is just the big player in this country.

People turn away from Christianity for various reasons. The most prevalent one today is that it's inconsistent with the expectations of society and popular culture.

If anything, Christianity gets preferred status among religions. We have freedom of religion Constitutionally guaranteed, but the only religion that is really acceptable to the Right is Christianity. They have little to no tolerance for the beliefs of others, which have just as little merit to me. Christianity is also a big part of our politics, and there really isn't a separation of church and state like there should be, also under the Constitution. We shouldn't have judges passing out Bibles or a Vice President who clearly favors his choice of religion over others. But we do, and that's what you want. Because you're a Christian, you think it's OK to give your choice of belief favored status. I don't.

Given a chance to be stupid, you deliver. What special legal status is granted to Christians and denied to anyone who isn't a Christian?

You are the very definition of low-hanging fruit. Easy picking, and ripe for being proven wrong.

The funny part is you post that right after posting that the left has no problem with Christianity and that Christians get special treatment under the law.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
LOL, you don't know what you're talking about. At all. What is "the life" that they're supposed to live?

It's just an illusion that a baker was dragged into a ridiculous lawsuit because he wouldn't bake a cake for an event that wasn't consistent with his beliefs. Three separate times, no less. And Chick-Fil-A doesn't catch flak from lefties because it states that it follows the biblical definition of marriage. And maybe you'd like to go to a college campus and state that homosexuality is a sin.

And so on.
And so on.
And so on.

People turn away from Christianity for various reasons. The most prevalent one today is that it's inconsistent with the expectations of society and popular culture.

Given a chance to be stupid, you deliver. What special legal status is granted to Christians and denied to anyone who isn't a Christian?

The funny part is you post that right after posting that the left has no problem with Christianity and that Christians get special treatment under the law.

You need something to stop your train of thought. A brick, perhaps? "The Life" is living according to Christian principles, like the Ten Commandments. You know, the kind of Christian Trump is, or like Creflo Dollar or Benny Hinn. Fine Christians.

59 Dano

You need something to stop your train of thought. A brick, perhaps? "The Life" is living according to Christian principles, like the Ten Commandments. You know, the kind of Christian Trump is, or like Creflo Dollar or Benny Hinn. Fine Christians.

It's great that you have your talking points. Too bad you back away as soon as anyone wants to talk to you about it beyond the "Here are my talking points" level.

And you've mentioned Creflo Dollar quite a few times on this site as your whipping boy response any questions about Christianity. Of course, Mr. Dollar is black, so that probably explains it. Otherwise your dialogue would consist of more than "Look at that black preacher! Christians are sinners so HYPOCRITE!!! DURRR" that are the norm among those who aren't intellectually capable of having a intelligent discussion about the topic.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
It's great that you have your talking points. Too bad you back away as soon as anyone wants to talk to you about it beyond the "Here are my talking points" level.

And you've mentioned Creflo Dollar quite a few times on this site as your whipping boy response any questions about Christianity. Of course, Mr. Dollar is black, so that probably explains it. Otherwise your dialogue would consist of more than "Look at that black preacher! Christians are sinners so HYPOCRITE!!! DURRR" that are the norm among those who aren't intellectually capable of having a intelligent discussion about the topic.

Joel Osteen, Benny Hinn, Robert Tilton, Kenneth Copeland, Pat Robertson, Falwell Jr. etc. Most are white.

Keep being ignorant and trying to make it about race. All Con men and women who exploit Jesus for huge money.

Copeland's wife is the evil witch who tells people with cancer to forget treatment, give money, and pray harder.

Is she your favorite?

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Joel Osteen, Benny Hinn, Robert Tilton, Kenneth Copeland, Pat Robertson, Falwell Jr. etc. Most are white.

Keep being ignorant and trying to make it about race. All Con men and women who exploit Jesus for huge money.

Copeland's wife is the evil witch who tells people with cancer to forget treatment, give money, and pray harder.

Is she your favorite?
You confuse Christian with charlatan.