Continuing Reagan’s failed War on Drugs.

bbsam

Staff member
You posted this previously. Am I correct in assuming you would now be ok with allowing individual states the power to choose which type of arms sales their residents could purchase?
Yes. And I bet you'd be surprised how many states rights people suddenly became interested in tough gun laws.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I don't see a positive to nicotine at all but alcohol in moderation, particularly red wine, has been shown to have good effects too. I don't think intoxication for recreation is a good idea as it leads to numerous problems. If that's twisted to you so be it.
Most people who use cannabis are doing exactly this.
It appears your base of knowledge on cannabis is Stoner Movies.
They are absurd in order to be funny ... they are not reference materials upon which logical and rational decisions or observation can be made.

vantexan

So should nicotine be banned and alcohol only administered in controlled environments for its benefits?
Above my paygrade. You don't get drunk on one or two drinks, but isn't the point of smoking a joint to get high? And in a state of intoxication don't you put yourself at risk of hurting yourself or others? As far as cigarettes go I understand that once hooked it's extremely difficult to stop smoking. But isn't it better that people never start?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You don't get drunk on one or two drinks, but isn't the point of smoking a joint to get high?
The intent is the same in both instances.
Another Stoner Movie deduction ... sometimes it's better to not say anything.
Like it's said in Alcohol Anonymous:
Take the cotton out of your ears and put it in your mouth!

vantexan

Most people who use cannabis are doing exactly this.
It appears your base of knowledge on cannabis is Stoner Movies.
They are absurd in order to be funny ... they are not reference materials upon which logical and rational decisions or observation can be made.
My wife before we got married smoked pot about 20 times a month, which she neglected to tell me. All I heard our first two years of marriage was her craving it. When she did smoke it in front of me she got very happy, to the point of being silly. She claimed before finally getting her hands on some that she was in complete control. Not so. I worked for 29 years for a company that would fire me if under the influence and at one time when they tested for such things just having it in my system. Before that I was raised in a very religious family so yes, probably pretty sheltered. It's also obvious the direction the country took when drug use became widespread. And it's also obvious that many people have been killed over the years getting that product to you, as well as those killed or who have killed others while under it's influence. Not to mention there's plenty of scientific evidence that it's harmful to both lungs and especially young, developing minds. Yet those who love it will continue to defend it. Such is life.

vantexan

The intent is the same in both instances.
Another Stoner Movie deduction ... sometimes it's better to not say anything.
Like it's said in Alcohol Anonymous:
Take the cotton out of your ears and put it in your mouth!
So in other words if it isn't what you want to hear then don't say it. Gotcha.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
My wife before we got married smoked pot about 20 times a month, which she neglected to tell me. All I heard our first two years of marriage was her craving it. When she did smoke it in front of me she got very happy, to the point of being silly. She claimed before finally getting her hands on some that she was in complete control. Not so. I worked for 29 years for a company that would fire me if under the influence and at one time when they tested for such things just having it in my system. Before that I was raised in a very religious family so yes, probably pretty sheltered. It's also obvious the direction the country took when drug use became widespread. And it's also obvious that many people have been killed over the years getting that product to you, as well as those killed or who have killed others while under it's influence. Not to mention there's plenty of scientific evidence that it's harmful to both lungs and especially young, developing minds. Yet those who love it will continue to defend it. Such is life.
And his position is all I know is what I've seen in silly movies.
Alcohol is a drug.
Cannabis (THC) is a drug.
How one reacts to either is a condition of the mind and genes.
Whether a person takes a hit of alcohol or a hit of THC, the reason and desired effect is the same.
Regardless of your upbringing and life experiences, there is no reason to stay ignorant of the truth.

I'm not arguing against your stance against legalizing marijuana but your idiotic stance that there is a difference between alcohol and marijuana in the intent when used ... or the effect.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
So in other words if it isn't what you want to hear then don't say it. Gotcha.
A wise person at least has a clue when they speak from a position of ignorance.
If you are so adamant against drugs, try going to a half dozen Alcoholics Anonymous meetings or better yet Narcotics Anonymous.
Alcohol is a drug just like cannabis, heroin or opiates.
You obviously support the use the drug alcohol on occasion to reduce stress ... so do 90%+ of the users of cannabis who use a vape pen to closely regulate heir THC intake.

Last edited:

vantexan

That's not what Van is arguing. He thinks the state should tell you what drugs you can use and how you use them and for what purpose. The people have clearly spoken as to what they want the law to be. At least medicinal use is legal in 29 states but the federal government is not following suit and enforcing their tyrannical viewpoint.
And I'm for medicinal use. And my wife was hooked on heavy narcotics while being treated for depression. Pot makes her feel better. It's not for me but I don't deny her because I can see the difference. She doesn't smoke it now due to her job. You tend to take something you hear that doesn't jibe with your worldview and run with it because any conflict with what you want must be shot down. Life is more complicated than that. I have other relatives that struggle with drugs too and because I've never tried them I'm looked upon with suspicion and doubt and sometimes with anger. My personal theory for years is that when people get involved with something they want others around them to be involved in it too. Not being involved causes anger and lashing out, no matter what that something is. I don't go to bars because I'm uncomfortable around people getting drunk and am well aware not everyone in a bar is getting drunk. Just makes me uncomfortable. And I've had many coworkers over the years who've struggled with alcohol and some have hated me for not participating. I was raised to believe drinking was wrong, period but have had an occasional drink since my late twenties. Have never been drunk and have no desire to start. YMMV.

vantexan

Making conclusions based on one's ad hoc, life experiences is like a person declaring themselves as their own lawyer in a criminal trial.
Everyone makes conclusions based on their life experiences. Some of us also out of curiosity read what's available from many sources about the effects of many different things, both positive and negative, and draw our own conclusions from that. Sorry if that's not what you want to hear.