Contract talks

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Best deal will be made in summer 2013. If sign this Xmas we will get screwed.

It depends on where you are on the seniority list.
If we don't have a contract signed before April 2013 - packages will begin to get diverted to FedEx and maybe the USPS.

That is the reason business smart Union leaders and UPS will try and get a contract in place before end of year.
FedEx sales people are already using the upcoming contract as a sales pitch, "Give us some of your volume and that will ensure FedEx will take care of you when UPS goes out on strike." - the legacy of the '97 strike lives on.

Chnandler Bong

I have to agree with many of the previous posters. I don't feel as if I'm undercompensated in any way, especially given the current economic conditions. I do, however, feel as if I'm over-harrassed and over-dispatched! From the safety memorization nazis, to the spies driving around looking for even the slightest break from procedure....I feel as if I'm just waiting for my turn to be terminated. We're not robots. And I'm looking for my UNION to put an end to it.

I'm not saying no raises at all...just reasonable raises that allow us to remain competitive in return for some respect in the workplace. When I started over 20 years ago, I never needed an 8 hour request. Now, they are treated like gold and fought over by fellow employees. Is it too much to ask to want to be a part of your family outside UPS? I'm tired of routes being cut and drivers being laid off while I'm missing my kids' after-school functions. In my opinion, it's more important for our union to concentrate on working conditions for this contract...but just my opinion.

slantnosechevy

DS, He has been the longest tenured center manager I have ever had, and I actually get along with him. From what I understand it is coming from Division levels.

The game is called good cop bad cop. Oldest mngmnt. trick in the book.

As far as the contract...they will throw money at us.....and the younger guys will grab it like a pitbull on a porkchop.

Last edited:

UPSGUY72

The game is called good cop bad cop. Oldest mngmnt. trick in the book.

As far as the contract...they will throw money at us.....and the younger guys will grab it like a pitbull on a porkchop.

We know the "OLD GUYS" wouldn't be making what they do know if they didn't "grab it like a pitbull on a porkchop" in past contracts.

kingOFchester

. Folding your mirror in while doing a delivery so a passing vehicle wont hit it.. ;)

This I will not do. I am not going to blindly stick my hand out the window to fold out a mirror. A mirror accident is a Tier 2 (hence why UPS tries to avoid). If you pull in your mirror, you are now giving the illusion that there is more space for the motorists to drive past.....at least until a driver sticks his hand out the window to push out mirror and looses his arm and career.

I would fight this practice tooth and nail.

Them: "Why do you refuse to fold in mirror"
Me: "Why do I need to pull in mirror"
Them: "To avoid it being hit"
Me: "So there is a possibility that the mirror projecting out of the truck may get hit?"
Them: "Yes"
Me: "So, there is a probability that I could loose my arm by following a stupid method to save a mirror by risking a limb"

Safety first!

UPSGUY72

This I will not do. I am not going to blindly stick my hand out the window to fold out a mirror. A mirror accident is a Tier 2 (hence why UPS tries to avoid). If you pull in your mirror, you are now giving the illusion that there is more space for the motorists to drive past.....at least until a driver sticks his hand out the window to push out mirror and looses his arm and career.

I would fight this practice tooth and nail.

Them: "Why do you refuse to fold in mirror"
Me: "Why do I need to pull in mirror"
Them: "To avoid it being hit"
Me: "So there is a possibility that the mirror projecting out of the truck may get hit?"
Them: "Yes"
Me: "So, there is a probability that I could loose my arm"

How many accident have there been from someone driving by and hitting the mirror ??? We get hit while parked all the time these people aren't hitting are mirrors they running in the back of are cars or backing in to the side.

Mirrors are getting broken because city and town don't trim the tree they plant next to the roads not because someone hit them driving by us.

I don't pull my mirror in.

rocket man

The early start to negotiations has nothing to do with anyone screwing anyone---it is done so that our shippers can be sure that there will no work stoppage in 2013.
i want a ten year contract that way were good to go id feel better id like more paid option days. instead of a big raise and let the loaders go from ten a night and load what comes in in there 3/12 hour and so on the next shift all thru the night 8 am comes ndas put them in and were on the road by 9 instead of rolling out the gate at 930

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How many accident have there been from someone driving by and hitting the mirror ???

We have had several in my center, both in Lake Placid. Our Main St. driver, which is the busiest street in town, was legally parked in a loading zone when an RV came down the street and clipped the mirror. The other was a driver who was crossing a small suspension bridge when he drifted too close to the side and the mirrors caught on the cable. The first may have been prevented by pulling in the mirror while the second was driver error.

We have not been instructed to pull our mirrors in at delivery stops in my center.

upsman2940

There are too many holes in every contract. I'm tired of waiting 5 years to have an opportunity to fix them let alone wait 10 years!

UPSGUY72

There are too many holes in every contract. I'm tired of waiting 5 years to have an opportunity to fix them let alone wait 10 years!

Remember it's a two way street the shorter the contract length the more opportunities the company has to take from use. 5 years seems to be a time frame although I won't be opposed to something longer.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Remember it's a two way street the shorter the contract length the more opportunities the company has to take from use. 5 years seems to be a time frame although I won't be opposed to something longer.

There are costs for both sides when negotiating a contract. Shippers like to have the stability of a long term contract. 5 years seems to work best for everyone involved.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
There are costs for both sides when negotiating a contract. Shippers like to have the stability of a long term contract. 5 years seems to work best for everyone involved.

I agree.
That's why it should be business as usual.
Record profits equals status quo at the table at the very worse.
The past few contracts have mirrored each other monetarily.
Hopefully the company pushes for (and the union agrees) that is the part timers that deserve the spoils this time.
I believe it is essential for the success of both the company and union.

yeldarb

I agree.
That's why it should be business as usual.
Record profits equals status quo at the table at the very worse.
The past few contracts have mirrored each other monetarily.
Hopefully the company pushes for (and the union agrees) that is the part timers that deserve the spoils this time.
I believe it is essential for the success of both the company and union.

Agreed 100% The drivers get a fair deal. It is the part timers who have got the shaft for as long as I have known and they deserve the spoils. Drivers are already making 300-500 a day, and there is a reason why so my UPS trailers are being moved by rail now, and why we continually deliver more and more to the post office. Granted, they are losing billions, but it is run by the government, so they will be subsidized by all of us, and UPS will work out more deals with them to allow them to deliver more of our volume if UPS has the financial reasons to do so. I realise we have what we have because of the Union and I appreciate that, but we cant continually demand more as drivers for ourselves when UPS has other options available to them to move packages. Lets make part time jobs at UPS respectable again in pay, benefits and environment. Happy pre-load makes for happy drivers.

GolfCart

I have to agree with many of the previous posters. I don't feel as if I'm undercompensated in any way, especially given the current economic conditions. I do, however, feel as if I'm over-harrassed and over-dispatched! From the safety memorization nazis, to the spies driving around looking for even the slightest break from procedure....I feel as if I'm just waiting for my turn to be terminated. We're not robots. And I'm looking for my UNION to put an end to it.

I'm not saying no raises at all...just reasonable raises that allow us to remain competitive in return for some respect in the workplace. When I started over 20 years ago, I never needed an 8 hour request. Now, they are treated like gold and fought over by fellow employees. Is it too much to ask to want to be a part of your family outside UPS? I'm tired of routes being cut and drivers being laid off while I'm missing my kids' after-school functions. In my opinion, it's more important for our union to concentrate on working conditions for this contract...but just my opinion.

+1

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We have already been told to hand in ideas by our Job Stewards. I agree that the Part Timers need to be taken care of this time, they have been shafted since the 1982 contract. I'm in Central States, I would like the ability to buy health insurance at the age of 55 instead of 57.

upsman2940

Part timers only work a few years at that low wage, but will work most of their lives as a driver. Think about the money over 25-30 years that will be lost versus the the few thousand that is lost over 4-5 years. Keep the raises coming for the career job!!!

upsman2940

You will be wasting raises on a group that is a high turnover classification. Yes they might start out a little bit higher but most won't get through the 4 year progression. Which probably will be longer with a higher starting pay. Just a thought!

ftballer67

You will be wasting raises on a group that is a high turnover classification. Yes they might start out a little bit higher but most won't get through the 4 year progression. Which probably will be longer with a higher starting pay. Just a thought!

You are so out of touch if you actually believe that. There are tons of us part timers that are still working at a low wage for many years. I've been with UPS for 8 years and signed every bid, full time opportunities are nowhere near as easily accessible as you seem to believe.

So I'm not sure who you think these raises would be "wasted" on. Certainly not me.

Also, maybe turnover wouldn't be as high if the wages were better. I don't see any turnover with full time inside employees, even the ones who have been transferred and are being forced to work split shifts.

yeldarb

Part timers only work a few years at that low wage, but will work most of their lives as a driver. Think about the money over 25-30 years that will be lost versus the the few thousand that is lost over 4-5 years. Keep the raises coming for the career job!!!
UPS is already shifting tons of volume through Union Pacific to save money. We have lost alot of routes to the post office because they can deliver the volume cheaper than we can. If they focus on the drivers and increase our pay, dont you think they will send MORE through the rails AND MORE through the post office? Those modes of transport are already cheaper. If our wages continue to be the primary focus, what do you think will happen? Drivers arent the only option that UPS has to deliver and move packages.