Displacement

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

All right Express folks, I need some info about displacement, and if anyone knows if this has been involved in any wrongful termination lawsuits.

This has to do with some co-workers at a customer location that are about to be displaced because wonderful Uncle Fred let an Express contract with a large volume shipper go to SmartPost and Ground. There are 18 people about to be on the receiving end of this stick.

Thanks for any and all help everyone! If you have useful info, please PM if it is too "sensitive" for public consumption.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
All right Express folks, I need some info about displacement, and if anyone knows if this has been involved in any wrongful termination lawsuits.

This has to do with some co-workers at a customer location that are about to be displaced because wonderful Uncle Fred let an Express contract with a large volume shipper go to SmartPost and Ground. There are 18 people about to be on the receiving end of this stick.

Thanks for any and all help everyone! If you have useful info, please PM if it is too "sensitive" for public consumption.

I need more info. Notice how nobody is using the word "layoff", which isn't in the FedEx dictionary. Usually, and I'm operating on partial information here, displaced employees get priority for any job opportunities. If there aren't any local jobs, FedEx can offer them something anywhere in the system, and if they don't take it they are gone.

This is a clever way to avoid using the term layoff, which is really is because there aren't many people willing to uproot and move for a low wage job. It never hurts to consult an attorney, but I think FedEx covers itself by offering employment elsewhere, even though they fully know that most employees will just end up walking.

vantexan

I believe they'd have 90 days to either accept any position at your station, based on seniority, or to transfer. I believe they'd be given first choice on open positions if they transfer, but not certain. Might have to win the position based on seniority. Failure to secure another position within 90 days, again not 100% certain, but I believe it means they're out of a job. With all the stations in DFW area seems they could absorb them. When the Greenville, TX station was shut down we got a handful of people, most of whom drive almost 2 hrs each way to get to/from work.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

That is exactly what I have been telling them would happen, being given 90 days to find a spot and all. It's kind of humorously sad that since I found out about this 4 months ago and started dropping hints to these folks, management has followed the script I gave them almost word for word.

The real pisser here is this, they had a meeting on Monday with our senior (who is one of the most weaselly a-holes I have ever had the displeasure of meeting) and our magnanimous HR rep, and the very last thing they were told was not to talk about this with ANYONE or risk a letter (what an effing joke) . The meeting didn't present them with any options and they won't get them until Jan 1...what a coincidence that they get to look for an open spot when there aren't any.

And lastly, the "lead", a wannabe corporate butt-boy if there ever was one (and he's also an over 20 yr FT handler..)got the heads-up and was allowed to go ahead and bid himself out.

Merry friend(*&^#$G Christmas everyone.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

MrFedEx;910891[I said:
]I need more info. [/I]

Tell me what you need and I will get it to you. I know I shouldn't get involved in this debacle, but my concscience won't let it be. Good people don't deserve to be treated like yesterday's newspaper and thrown out.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Tell me what you need and I will get it to you. I know I shouldn't get involved in this debacle, but my concscience won't let it be. Good people don't deserve to be treated like yesterday's newspaper and thrown out.

I don't think there's much I can add, but the description of how it all went down sounds FedEx all the way. They cover themselves while simultaneously screwing the employee. I especially like the part of how the corporate butt-boy got advanced notice.

Once peak is over, watch out for more of this as shippers go to Ground and the shift of XS and E2 is implemented. All part of the plan.

Last edited:

SmithBarney

I think displacement varies, in fact we had a guy just come here for a PT position, from 1000miles away and had been displaced for at least 6 months.

LTFedExer

Until I got to my current station, I've never even heard of anyone being displaced. In my 6 years here, its happened to 2 people. But, they got 'new' routes almost immediately. We do have a 3rd out on disability real close, if not already, over the 90 days allowed before displacement. Pretty sure her route will be posted later this month or right after Christmas.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

I think displacement varies, in fact we had a guy just come here for a PT position, from 1000miles away and had been displaced for at least 6 months.

Not sure on the variation part, but I guess that could happen. That person also got lucky to be "allowed" to be displaced for 6 months, usually it's 90 days and then you're out.

Billy_Baconhead

I've seen a handful of people displaced in the past 2yrs. All of them where injured. ALL where full-time employee's and replaced by all part-time employee's. The word "layoff" isn't in the fedex vocabulary. Fred and his minions just keep replacing full-time employee's with PTers. It's all part of his vision...a Express PT underpaid workforce.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I've seen a handful of people displaced in the past 2yrs. All of them where injured. ALL where full-time employee's and replaced by all part-time employee's. The word "layoff" isn't in the fedex vocabulary. Fred and his minions just keep replacing full-time employee's with PTers. It's all part of his vision...a Express PT underpaid workforce.

That sounds right to me. Wait until after peak for the other shoe to drop on the shift of services to Ground. All part of the plan.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

I've noticed this at the customer location I go to, over the past 5 years we were sending out an AVERAGE of 8, 53 foot trailers 100% full for the 7 weeks prior to Peak. This year, it's been "normal", 2 trailers about 30-40% full.

Oddly enough, the Ground trailers have almost doubled. And SmartPost is also in on this too.

January should be interesting...just sayin

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
This has to do with some co-workers at a customer location that are about to be displaced because wonderful Uncle Fred let an Express contract with a large volume shipper go to SmartPost and Ground.

So when is this supposed to happen?

I'm assuming the first of the year unless I'm mistaken?

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

Not Amazon and it's supposed to have happened this week, but I haven't seen any of them to find out for sure....I know a few were able to find positions nearby so that worked out ok for them.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
If Dell went to ground, wouldn't the frt. still be DSR?
What would change to get people to not come in and P/U their frt.?