Earlier start times

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I had a center manager before that hated the idea of an earlier start time. According to him package drivers take advantage of the extra daylight especially during the summer to milk the hours and stay out later. His professional opinion was that drivers work faster when they know they are running out of daylight.
Nothing professional about that center manager....

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I had a center manager before that hated the idea of an earlier start time. According to him package drivers take advantage of the extra daylight especially during the summer to milk the hours and stay out later. His professional opinion was that drivers work faster when they know they are running out of daylight.

He does have a point but I personally feel that the majority would bring it in earlier if allowed to start earlier.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
My understanding is that earlier start times are being driven by moving flight times up so volume gets to Worldport earlier so it can be turned around and outbounded sooner to improve on Air service.
Everyone in my area comments how slow the air operation is at Newark. Management is clueless.

old levi's

blank space

I never wanted to stay out there any longer than necessary, regardless of the seasonal daylight available.
An earlier start let me get more done in the morning, so I didn't feel defeated in the afternoon.

Heavy Package

Our (my) UPS Store locks the doors at 6 pm whether we (I) have wrapped up their pickup or not.

Not mine—-they will normally help me load the pickup pieces; in turn, I keep them supplied w/forever bags and make sure that I am there at least 30 minutes before they close.

Wow, Dave, you really are the best of the best out there. UPS will sure miss you once you retire. I can almost hear the customers shutting down their operations based on your pick-up times and complaining non-stop about not having UPS forever bags.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
In my experience even a half hour earlier start turns into an hour by the end of the day.
You get more done before pick up time and therefore are farther into your trace. After pickups you don't have to go as far to be back into your trace. Less distance = less time

old levi's

blank space
In my experience even a half hour earlier start turns into an hour by the end of the day.
You get more done before pick up time and therefore are farther into your trace. After pickups you don't have to go as far to be back into your trace. Less distance = less time

Exactly

oldngray

nowhere special

I always felt like 15 minutes earlier in the morning equaled 30-45 minutes on road.