Earlier start times

Johney

No I think more drivers could run their air and ground business together letting the AM air drivers to run residential.
So if a driver can only run 10 air stops now you don't think management will give them 18-20 air stops to run if they leave earlier? Why put an A.M. air driver on? Not here.

barnyard

KTM rider
If you're a good driver and you have the time with airs, You could get a res section done with your air and not go back.
That's what killed me about the later starts. Sometimes I just needed another 10 minutes to wipe out an area.
I hated going back to places I've been to already.

Currently, my Orion time is so tight, that it will always have me coming back to deliver ground NEXT DOOR to a house that I delivered NDA. My worst plan had me delivering NDA and then delivering the ground later in the day. 1/2 hour earlier start time would take care of that.

Most days, by the time I leave the building, meet another driver that starts early for EAMs, I have less than 55 minutes to deliver NDA.

I would not have to change any of my pick up times and it would be easier to stay under 9/5.

One thing that Orion has shown me is how much time extra miles cost me. Over the course of a day, I average 12-13 mph. If I have to go back to 2 neighborhoods that I could not clean up and that equals 5 miles, that is 30 minutes added to my day. Most days, I am 10-18 miles over Orion plan, that is an extra hour plus on my day. Those miles are added because I either could not follow trace because of NDA or reducing resi backs (I avoid 10-15 backs a day that Orion would have me do) or changing when I do the pick ups because Orion has me doing 1550 pick ups at 11a. It also does not help that we have an 850 start and the bosses have our Lv bldg time at 855. 910 is our most frequent lv time, so we are 15 minutes behind before we even leave the building. Not to mention digging for mid section 6 packages in a bricked out car.

I have never understood why my bosses cannot enter honest numbers into Orion. Honest numbers would produce realistic plans that could actually be followed. Following the plan would result in less over miles and less over allowed and higher morale. I am at the place where I HATE going in. Every day is the same BS and there is not one thing that I can do to make it better. I have zero input into the success or failure of my day.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
My Hub is about two miles South of the Atlanta Airport Gateway, air gets to my building around 6:30AM. Our Preload still goes down dirty with a 9:00 start time, they can't keep Preloaders. The new automated small sort started in December only contributes to problems, they started bagging smalls to each route. Instead of loading smalls throughout the sort they send a bunch of bags at the end. Too many oversize/irregulars add to the chaos. An earlier start time for the Preloaders, getting Feeder loads in earlier, and adequate staffing is the only way to move up start times. Fedex gets on the road 7:30-8AM everyday around here, but UPS can't duplicate that.

barnyard

KTM rider
Fedex gets on the road 7:30-8AM everyday around here, but UPS can't duplicate that.
Around here, FEG is on road about 7a. They are delivering near my house by 8a. FEE is on road about the same time as we are and it sounds like they have the same airport delays that we have.

At PCM, the center manager frequently blames late feeder loads. We get 2 air shuttles in the morning, if the 2nd one is not to our building until 8:40, there is no way we are leaving till 9:15.

In my building, pushing feeders back 30 minutes will mean downtime waiting for air. Our 1st shuttle is rarely at our building before 8a. All of our air needs to be at our building before 750 if we are going to have an 820 start time.

ManInBrown

Currently, my Orion time is so tight, that it will always have me coming back to deliver ground NEXT DOOR to a house that I delivered NDA. My worst plan had me delivering NDA and then delivering the ground later in the day. 1/2 hour earlier start time would take care of that.

Most days, by the time I leave the building, meet another driver that starts early for EAMs, I have less than 55 minutes to deliver NDA.

I would not have to change any of my pick up times and it would be easier to stay under 9/5.

One thing that Orion has shown me is how much time extra miles cost me. Over the course of a day, I average 12-13 mph. If I have to go back to 2 neighborhoods that I could not clean up and that equals 5 miles, that is 30 minutes added to my day. Most days, I am 10-18 miles over Orion plan, that is an extra hour plus on my day. Those miles are added because I either could not follow trace because of NDA or reducing resi backs (I avoid 10-15 backs a day that Orion would have me do) or changing when I do the pick ups because Orion has me doing 1550 pick ups at 11a. It also does not help that we have an 850 start and the bosses have our Lv bldg time at 855. 910 is our most frequent lv time, so we are 15 minutes behind before we even leave the building. Not to mention digging for mid section 6 packages in a bricked out car.

I have never understood why my bosses cannot enter honest numbers into Orion. Honest numbers would produce realistic plans that could actually be followed. Following the plan would result in less over miles and less over allowed and higher morale. I am at the place where I HATE going in. Every day is the same BS and there is not one thing that I can do to make it better. I have zero input into the success or failure of my day.
You’re way overthinking it. It’s not your problem. Orion is pure trash. It’s there problem, not yours. You get paid by the hour

brown metal coffin

Heard today that in May driver start times are moving back 30 minutes earlier nationwide and that the planes will be landing an hour earlier. With this We have to get the air back earlier because the air sort will shut down 30 minutes earlier in the evening as well. Anyone else hear this?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Today the drivers were all loading cars after 9am and there was still at least 15-20 minutes left until they could leave. The air comes a bit late but even so, the ground work still would have never been completed had the air arrived 30 minutes earlier. Even if air arrives at the hubs and centers earlier, I doubt start times will be pushed back much, unless everything is earlier.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Heard today that in May driver start times are moving back 30 minutes earlier nationwide and that the planes will be landing an hour earlier. With this We have to get the air back earlier because the air sort will shut down 30 minutes earlier in the evening as well. Anyone else hear this?
We've been brining air in earlier for months. Start times haven't changed one bit.

Delivery!!!

We were also told this last week.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Air was done and in our bins at 7:45... Too bad I still don't finish up until 8:45 at the earliest.

Plenty of routes are wrapped by the drivers until 9:15. Some preloaders are just happy to be sent home before someone gets a good look at their load.

Nike

It never made sense to have drivers driving after dark, for a company that claims it's worried about safety, this is probably one of its biggest blunders. Getting drivers out as close to first light as possible and back before it gets dark should be a priority.