Earlier start times

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don’t have a issue dealing w customers I have never met ... I was more or less talking about traffic patterns ...safe parking spots etc ...more of a inner city setting

This past Peak I was given an add/cut that I had never delivered before. One stop was a gun shop. I went in what I thought was the entrance—-it had Enter above the door—-and was promptly told that I had come in the wrong door. I then placed the packages off to the side only to be told they don’t go there. They asked me if I was new and were shocked when I told them I had 29 years in and was hardly new. First initial, last name, hope to never see you again.

Future

Victory Ride
This past Peak I was given an add/cut that I had never delivered before. One stop was a gun shop. I went in what I thought was the entrance—-it had Enter above the door—-and was promptly told that I had come in the wrong door. I then placed the packages off to the side only to be told they don’t go there. They asked me if I was new and were shocked when I told them I had 29 years in and was hardly new. First initial, last name, hope to never see you again.
Yes . That’s just a customer playing the power card 2 a “new” driver ....friend them

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How would that be a contractual issue ?

Nothing is stopping the company.... from adjusting start times.

Who runs the business ?

-Bug-

I guess technically it wasn't a contract proposal but I clearly remember our BA bringing this us during our contract proposal meeting.

I will tell you that I will not miss the arrogance of the Union nor your condescending attitude as its representative on this forum.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Takes me a lot 2 get mad at a customer ... and thank God I never have .... I give them as much rope as they need 2 have their power trip w the “new guy” ....then I set new rules of engagement

I never showed my anger or frustration to them. I turned around their "you must be new" comment so that they would feel like :censored2: for having said it.

I got back to the building and asked my on car if this stop was known for being dickheads and he said yes.

Future

Victory Ride
I never showed my anger or frustration to them. I turned around their "you must be new" comment so that they would feel like :censored2: for having said it.

I got back to the building and asked my on car if this stop was known for being dickheads and he said yes.
I know .. I know ...have heard it b4 ...yes some recently ....carry on ... we aren’t Jesus no matter how many years we have in

DOK

I had a center manager before that hated the idea of an earlier start time. According to him package drivers take advantage of the extra daylight especially during the summer to milk the hours and stay out later. His professional opinion was that drivers work faster when they know they are running out of daylight.

That’s not only that one center managers opinion, this is why we start as late as possible, it’s the only why to control OT hours. A handful of guys will milk the hours no matter how early we start, ruins it for everyone.

Johney

Feeder driver told me last night that our air trailer was going to pull at 19:25 instead 19:45 starting May 21st. We have a last minute air shuttle that runs at 20:15 so should be interesting to see how this all shakes out. An earlier start time could eliminate a lot of AM air driving jobs. Also could mean drivers back to the building at a decent time.
You don't think that earlier start times will just give drivers more air to run essentially just causing the same return times?

ManInBrown

Customers will lie about when they got delivered and picked up.
Yup. Used to cover a route that had a bulk stop loaded RDL. That stop never had airs so the first day I do the route guy in receiving is all butthurt when I get there just before noon. “The regular driver is here everyday at 8:30. We’re his first stop”

I just laughed at him. Cool story, we start at 8:50 everyday.

old levi's

blank space

Had a couple of similar situations over the years.

My reply was "Do I look new?" Followed by "The warranty was used up on me a long time ago."

Heck, I was already old when I started driving.

Indecisi0n

Unless they move the entire operation up early (package guys, preload and feeders) it's never going to happen. They currently can't get the work to the buildings fast enough.