Heavy Package

Okay this is my fourth week at the united parcel service. I'm pretty exhausted after an hour or two

It doesn't matter if its your 4th week or 40th year at UPS. You will always be exhausted at this place after an hour or two. Since you are so large, please try to not sweat on the labels as I need to scan the barcodes and I do not want them smeared with your funky DNA. Also, as the cars get more full, don't let your belly hit the boxes causing them to fall onto the wrong shelf causing me to retrace my route.

Other than that, best of luck to ya! I don't care what you eat or drink, and judging by all of the other preloaders, they usually drink beer, smoke weed, or use crack prior to coming to work. Also, make sure you apply for your WIC and SNAP cards, which you qualify for with your low PT wage. I believe healthy vegetables are allowed to be purchased free using both of these programs.

oldupsman

Soda is just the worst stuff you can drink. I have a friend who was a real Coke(soda) addict. Drank 6 to 8
a day. Late 50's, started putting on some pounds. I dared him to stopped drinking soda and switch to all
water. No other diet changes, just cut soda. Guy dropped 10 pounds in a month. Blood pressure came down
too. All that sugar is just plain crap.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Okay this is my fourth week at the united parcel service. I'm pretty exhausted after an hour or two and I was wondering if you guys recommend having a monster/redbull/5 hour energy etc?
I usually don't eat before my preload shift so I can see that being a problem. I'm a pretty big guy at 250lbs, 5'10 so my cardio isn't all there either...
Your better off eating 3-4 hours prior to work. Digestion takes a while so by eating immediately before work, your not really getting the benefit of nutrients until after your shift is over. Energy drinks will be like putting a bandaid on a cut that requires stitches. It will work but only a short time. And the crash is intense. Nothing in the world is better to drink than water. Eating a combination of low glycemic carbs, protein and veggies a few hours prior to your shift will be your safest bet. However, if you want to lose weight, start fasting for 16 hours and feed in an 8 hour window. Use work as your cardio and work while fasted. If your 250, don’t eat more than 2400 calories a day. After a month, drop it to 2200. Another month, 2000 and so on. Don’t go any less than 1800 ever. Anyway, hope this helps. Any questions, PM me.

lolbr

You shouldn't need energy drinks. Eat breakfast. A cup of (lightly sweetened) green tea or coffee, a piece of toast with some peanut butter, and a (half) banana. Takes just seconds to prep and can eat on the run. Drink water at work, just make sure you drink a glass before bed and another before work.

Most of your issues is that you likely aren't used to that much activity for that amount of time. Pace yourself. Don't rush so much at the start. Find a good smooth pace you can keep up for the entire shift, then you can push harder near the end.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Energy drinks and sodas are poison, stay away from them. Powerade uses high fructose corn syrup as a sweetener, thats why it is cheaper than Gatorade and both are bad for you. Water is the best for your body on hot days. I started using Stevia in my coffee and iced tea recently and I dropped a few pounds.

old levi's

blank space
Okay this is my fourth week at the united parcel service. I'm pretty exhausted after an hour or two and I was wondering if you guys recommend having a monster/redbull/5 hour energy etc?
I usually don't eat before my preload shift so I can see that being a problem. I'm a pretty big guy at 250lbs, 5'10 so my cardio isn't all there either...

Those drinks make my eyeballs spin, so I leave them alone.

side note: it's just ups

dudebro

I'm not trying to be a jerk about your weight, but THAT IS your problem. Do NOT drink anything but water, or maybe, water with a lemon or lime squeezed into it. The energy drink like Monster might give you a 20 min burst, but it's usually followed by a crash, which necessitates....another energy drink. And whether you're drinking the no carb ones or not, the calories (or chemicals that simulate the calories) are throwing your hormones off enough to cause you to gain or keep excess weight.

When I was in the hub, we would bring the new hires downstairs from HR. The new PT supervisors would jump for the guys who looked like they played offensive line in high school, 6'4" and 240 lbs, figuring the lifting and the pace would be habit for them. Almost every one of these guys wouldn't survive to relief time and would nearly drown in their own sweat. The new hire you wanted, experience taught me, was the former high school wrestler who was 5'9" and a wiry 150 lbs. They would never fatigue.

You might not get down to 150, but if you can work to get your weight below 200, the job will become easy, and the future you who goes to the doc to get his blood pressure, kidney function, knees and hips, etc. checked, will thank you.

dudebro

It really has to suck, being in management these days.

Minimal pay and benefits. And, treated like :censored2:.

Meanwhile;

Hourly employees can make as much money as they want....

-Bug-

Your perspective is limited to on car sups maybe. My job is fantastic. There are other career paths than the center, the same way you're not humping Bowflexes on a daily basis anymore.

Brandon5658

I really hope this is a trolling thread and you're really not that ignorant to seriously ask these questions. If these questions are indeed true, shame on your parents. They did a horrible job raising you.

Energy drinks are bad. Soda is almost as bad.
As for your questions - Bring a banana, granola bar or maybe even make a PB&J while home. Stay away from all energy drinks. Personally, I think you should stay away from soda all together. Stick to just water. If you must get a soda for some caffeine in the AM, find a diet soda with less sugar. I'm a fan of coffee and water.

You're pretty exhausted after an hour or two, it's because you're overweight and out of shape. Honestly, how much exercise did you average, before coming to work at UPS? Right now-best thing you can do is hydrate properly. As the summer heat shows up, you'll shed off some of that 250lbs.

Hope this helps.
Haha yeah my mom sucks as a parent. Fast food everyday when I was in school etc, she really didn't know about nutrition and stuff. I only researched nutrition when I was getting older. I'm a powerlifter but I hate cardio so I only lifted heavy. I usually feel upset when I eat before work so I like to do it on an empty stomach. I'll definitely stock up on some granola bars. As of now I only drink water, iced teas with low sugar and diet sodas. Sports drinks occasionally as well. Thanks for the advice.