FEDEX losing Amazon business NOW?

vantexan

Express domestic volumes are up year-over-year. Yawn.
The tax cuts have been good for business. You still haven't addressed what will happen if Amazon grows and cuts into Express business the way Ground has cut into UPS business. It's a real possibility.

XEQaF

They have known earnings were going to suck for a while now judging by the cost cutting measures we have been going through at our station. I can't imagine what the next few days are going to be like. We are going to have to start GoFundMe pages for toilet paper and paper towels.

"Graf said the buyout program, hiring constraints and limiting discretionary spending are among the measures being taken to counter disappointing revenue trends."

We are already short staffed, we have no vehicles, everyone goes out over numbers but they just keep their heads buried in the sand. Let's hire some more sales people to run express.

LOL a GoFundMe page I love it! You do speak the truth. The company will survive this of course, but like you've pointed out what will be the impact of these survival tactics?

XEQaF

Looking at the stock pricing after yesterdays Q3, this is what comes to mind "Down goes Frazier! Down goes Frazier! Down goes Frazier!!

vantexan

You say that as though it's a sure thing, yet you can't tell me what it is about Amazon Air that would cause that to happen.
If a Morgan Stanley analyst says, and I'm betting he knows better than you(I know, shocking), that FedEx volume would be 2% more if Amazon Air didn't exist, and Amazon Air only flies Amazon freight, then you can extrapolate that as they grow FedEx eventually won't be delivering Amazon, at least through Express. And if they take on outside freight that's air freight FedEx won't be flying. Again, I've never said Amazon will ruin FedEx. I said they may grow to the point that they bite into FedEx profits. Why is that so radical to you? And my point has always been that FedEx has a long history of taking from employees to shore up profit. If you say they never have or will then you truly are a company shill.

bacha29

The addition of Amazon Air combined with an expected significant slowdown in the economy with an outright recession not being ruled out the more ominous end result could be an industry wide over capacity issue. After all the fed chickened out today and will not raise interest rates until sometime next year and it's expected to be only one increase.......No what's that telling you?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
If a Morgan Stanley analyst says, and I'm betting he knows better than you(I know, shocking), that FedEx volume would be 2% more if Amazon Air didn't exist, and Amazon Air only flies Amazon freight, then you can extrapolate that as they grow FedEx eventually won't be delivering Amazon, at least through Express. And if they take on outside freight that's air freight FedEx won't be flying. Again, I've never said Amazon will ruin FedEx. I said they may grow to the point that they bite into FedEx profits. Why is that so radical to you?

Because (as I've said here several times already) THEY DON'T HAVE ENOUGH PILOTS and without pilots all the hypothetical speculation in the world is irrelevant.

And my point has always been that FedEx has a long history of taking from employees to shore up profit. If you say they never have or will then you truly are a company shill.

?????

vantexan

Because (as I've said here several times already) THEY DON'T HAVE ENOUGH PILOTS and without pilots all the hypothetical speculation in the world is irrelevant.

?????
Um, hire more pilots? It's a growth industry. No one said they're going to completely take FedEx Amazon deliveries away in a few weeks. Or months.

dmac1

Point still stands that if fedex loses any revenue, it basically all comes out of profit. So a 2% loss in revenue is a huge loss of profit. And if that loss in revenue comes mostly from ground, where profit is a larger % of revenue, it means a bigger % drop in profit than if it came from express. A 2% loss of revenue could mean a 10% drop in profit.

dezguy

Um, hire more pilots? It's a growth industry. No one said they're going to completely take FedEx Amazon deliveries away in a few weeks. Or months.
Amazon is paying bottom of the barrel wages for pilots. Pilots aren't going to line up at Amazon's door just because they're Amazon.

vantexan

Amazon is paying bottom of the barrel wages for pilots. Pilots aren't going to line up at Amazon's door just because they're Amazon.
Someone is piloting their jets. It's a way in to the career field. Get your hours in and move on. Demonstrated competence flying a plane carries a lot more weight than driving a delivery van.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Maybe, just maybe they’ll be able to lure pilots that are in the same league as Fred Noonan with the wages they’re offering.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Um, hire more pilots? It's a growth industry.

Um, ROTFLMAO!!

I've posted about it more than once. The companies operating the Amazon Air flights don't pay worth a crap and are having trouble recruiting and retaining pilots. It's not like there's a bumper crop of pilots who are waiting around to be hired by one of the cheapest cargo airlines in the nation.