FedEx stock is crashing and burning. What do you think the future will be?

Serf

I don't know. That was just a guess as to what will happen. I know there will be changes, but don't know what will happen. I think it starts with differentiating business and resi customers. This is US focused.

In the scenario I posted or something similar, it would probably start with slowed hiring. This is tricky because you need to staff for current volume and service while knowing the need will decrease.

Overall staffing would be less. This would probably be done through attrition. Turnover is highest among newer employees, so some wouldn't be replaced.

With fewer packages and higher automation, the hubs would require fewer employees and hopefully finish quicker. There is also the possibility that stations start the sort a little later if processing less freight. Service for FO and PO would need to be outstanding.

PM routes would remain similar to their current state for pickup reliability. Some reduction in outbound volume would be expected, especially for bulk 2D and XS shippers.

FXG, I have no idea except probably very busy. I would be curious about on call pickups how they would be handled. Customer service # is bad anyway, but in this scenario how would one decide the service required? Better trained CS reps? Push more people online and let the software determine the service and if it's FXE or FXG?

This is just guessing too though.
It sounds legit to me.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Thank you. I've said repeatedly that I don't know. Very few do. I'm 100% confident there will be change. I'm not so sure what that change looks like.
spec·u·la·tion
/ˌspekyəˈlāSH(ə)n/
noun
  1. 1.
    the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.
In other words, a worthless opinion.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Just because you wouldn’t know the difference between two different telephone numbers doesn’t mean your average customer wouldn't. (Dano)

Tried earlier to edit but past the 30 minute time limit.

Wait, there are 2 separate #s for FXE and FXG now???

Our status door tags are similar, FXG switch to similar color scheme (green to Orange)

Anyways, we're just a bunch of dumb package delivery drivers... let the chips fall

How will FXE fill their planes now if they're going to divert some of those less profitable freight to FXG? Will your company be flying other nda stuff from the competition, like with USPS?

Or you're going to trade in the big planes for smaller ones?

I know some meds I used to deliver in the boonies, they were flown to my state by FXE, but then they slap a FXG label over them & I'll deliver to the final destination.

It will be fine

Wait, there are 2 separate #s for FXE and FXG now???

Our status door tags are similar, FXG switch to similar color scheme (green to Orange)

Anyways, we're just a bunch of dumb package delivery drivers... let the chips fall

How will FXE fill their planes now if they're going to divert some of those less profitable freight to FXG? Will your company be flying other nda stuff from the competition, like with USPS?

Or you're going to trade in the big planes for smaller ones?

I know some meds I used to deliver in the boonies, they were flown to my state by FXE, but then they slap a FXG label over them & I'll deliver to the final destination.
Just one number. @Cactus thinks having a different 800 number would fix the problem of people calling in pickups for the wrong opco. It wouldn’t and it would add another layer of confusion to the process.

OrioN

Just one number. @Cactus thinks having a different 800 number would fix the problem of people calling in pickups for the wrong opco. It wouldn’t and it would add another layer of confusion to the process.

Yeah, but it was easier to tell the customers back when we had green color scheme... Green=Ground

And when it was just a small RTS FXE pickup, with no urgency to get the parcel to the airport tonight, I'll ask if they want to go ahead with the incorrect FXG driver.

I'll usually offload it to a drop box (taking pics as proof) or just give it to the front desk at the FXG terminal. They usually have a daily FXE driver coming in before 1200 anyways.

I don't do that anymore especially when I'm gonna transfer to a new terminal once I exhaust my PTO (yeah, the investor group are stepping up on the benefits arena to try to stay competitive)

It will be fine

Yeah, but it was easier to tell the customers back when we had green color scheme... Green=Ground

And when it was just a small RTS FXE pickup, with no urgency to get the parcel to the airport tonight, I'll ask if they want to go ahead with the incorrect FXG driver.

I'll usually offload it to a drop box (taking pics as proof) or just give it to the front desk at the FXG terminal. They usually have a daily FXE driver coming in before 1200 anyways.

I don't do that anymore especially when I'm gonna transfer to a new terminal once I exhaust my PTO (yeah, the investor group are stepping up on the benefits arena to try to stay competitive)
There are customers that understand and those that can’t be bothered to tell the difference. Nothing will help the second group.

McFeely

Huge Member

But the customer who needs to ship a package out still didn't know the difference, because the green or orange wasn't actually on the box.

99% of the time when I get to an oncall to find a Ground package, it was called in with the 800 number. The automated phone system is horrible to deal with and the "customer service" reps that people actually talk to are even worse.

Maui

Just to follow up...
All he had to say was... This is my uniform (in his dress clothes) not the one you guys are wearing. Leadership has been subpar and made sure we all knew that he’s going to OLCC everything now... “Time cards are the worst thing about being a manager”.

Wut? His leadership is subpar? Business casual/professional = uniform? This seems meaningless.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
The automated phone system is horrible to deal with and the "customer service" reps that people actually talk to are even worse.
True and true.

Both designed to save Smith money. He couldn’t care less about customer service and satisfaction.

OrioN

But the customer who needs to ship a package out still didn't know the difference, because the green or orange wasn't actually on the box.
Don't need color since there's that section of the printed label that actually says FXG or FXE... that's Wut I point out to the customers... & let them know that we operate on separate terminals /networks
sketch-1578062726838.png

Vs.

sketch-1578062757722.png

McFeely

Huge Member
OrioN, all of us here know the difference. I'm saying the customers don't know the difference, and that most don't care. The 800 number (where they call in their pickups) is generally to blame for not distinguishing which courier to grab the pickup.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
OrioN, all of us here know the difference. I'm saying the customers don't know the difference, and that most don't care. The 800 number (where they call in their pickups) is generally to blame for not distinguishing which courier to grab the pickup.
Or to ascertain which opco the caller is actually needing.

Operators are tasked with concluding the call in the shortest time possible, not assisting the customer. Otherwise, they would be better trained.

More lip service from FedEx.

OrioN

Yeah, so CSRs of the 800#, step up and ask as one of the first questions to the customers... "is this a FXE or FXG concern?"

Showing customers on route that section of the label is how I directly "train the customer"