TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
How many PVDs does it take to deliver 230 stops, 370 pcs?
IIRC their SPC was set at 75, but they were voluntarily pushing around 100, and we half-involuntarily worked some to 125-150

so 3? i have no idea what the real cost analysis is on that, but my guess is we break even on wages and make money on benefits and vehicles, with the added bonus of no grievances or whining

OrionsBitch

Not...
That really depends on the area. Many places can't even find people that want to be full time drivers.

Few years back my center tried to hire 15 drivers. 2 part timers wanted to drive. One quit first day alone.

3 months and they only had 10 other people even apply for off the street positions. I think 5 of the 10 actually made it past their 30 but only 2 of those 5 are left.
That's because nobody wants to work the hours we do. Uber has no problem finding drivers

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Available sure. But they don't want to work 50 hours a week 52 weeks a year.
lol they wouldn't be working the hours you guys work

if we don't need to plan to paid day guarantees, we'll just chuck as many as we want on road every day, they might end up having 3-5 hour days from what i've heard

IIRC their SPC was set at 75, but they were voluntarily pushing around 100, and we half-involuntarily worked some to 125-150

so 3? i have no idea what the real cost analysis is on that, but my guess is we break even on wages and make money on benefits and vehicles, with the added bonus of no grievances or whining
What do you do with the bulk? Some pkgs won't fit in a pu with a canopy. I would guess 4 full time PVD for a non-peak resi route. That may take 40 hours a day vs 9.

In the west there's a company called on trac. They deliver 75 stops a day out of a van. They work no less than 12 hours a day. They don't always finish. And they don't deliver the bulk ups has.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
What do you do with the bulk? Some pkgs won't fit in a pu with a canopy. I would guess 4 full time PVD for a non-peak resi route. That may take 40 hours a day vs 9.

In the west there's a company called on trac. They deliver 75 stops a day out of a van. They work no less than 12 hours a day. They don't always finish. And they don't deliver the bulk ups has.
bulk would stay on UPSers unless the PVD is a freaking van or something, it wouldn't be a policy it would just be worked out locally based on what works best

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
That's because nobody wants to work the hours we do. Uber has no problem finding drivers
Because über drivers work when they want to. Where they want to. We have a slightly different business model.

Hey I'm gonna love it when 4 hours into the day these guys decide they're done. They'll finish it tomorrow.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
So now you're subcontracting specific stops out.

Yeah this will never fly.
it will depend on what makes sense locally, maybe they would maybe they wouldn't

if the choice is to put on an extra FSP with 4 hours of work, paid 8, or to overload some other FSP with it in a double trip, OR to call up some PVD who happens to have a van and is working straight-time with no guarantee?

easiest choice in the world, and i'll bet every dispatcher has to make that choice at least once a week

it will depend on what makes sense locally, maybe they would maybe they wouldn't

if the choice is to put on an extra FSP with 4 hours of work, paid 8, or to overload some other FSP with it in a double trip, OR to call up some PVD who happens to have a van and is working straight-time with no guarantee?

easiest choice in the world, and i'll bet every dispatcher has to make that choice at least once a week
Have never worked in an area that someone wouldn't mind to code 5 and go home after 4 hours. Not an issue.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

And you think no guarantees is gonna fly?

You realize if the union allows this. Which is still a huge if that they would be considered ft employees and if it went year round they would get benefits and everything.

This all has to be negotiated. That's what cracks me up. The company can't just go and do whatever they want.