Goodbye HOS!

bbsam

Staff member
That's better money than an Express courier in most cases, especially the lower end of the scale. Are you sure those are honest numbers?
Positive. The guys I know at Express have a higher hourly rate but crappier hours and overall don't really make more. Think about it. I may have a driver who makes $130 a day. Hourly he only makes $13/hr but has 2 hours waiting for pickups. He knows he can start later but likes to use the wait time reading and watching Netflix.

Technically he's not off the clock like an Express driver might be and thus Express makes a show of a higher hourly rate. Now who's running a scam?

FedGT

I am assuming BB is in the same type of mind set but it is worth it to pay more to keep good drivers than have normal contractor mentality and have constant turnover. My time is worth more than the extra 25,50,75 a week I can pay to keep a good driver.

instiches

I am assuming BB is in the same type of mind set but it is worth it to pay more to keep good drivers than have normal contractor mentality and have constant turnover. My time is worth more than the extra 25,50,75 a week I can pay to keep a good driver.

100%. Stability for my team of drivers is worth the extra money. Most of those guys know they are good and are maximizing how much they can earn for the skill set they have.

gixxer squid

Well with the new contract those of us operating vehicles under 10k gvw no longer have to follow the HOS rules. Up until now we had to abide by the rules contractually, not legally. So nice to be able to run my guys 7 days/ 80 hours a week now! Yeah!!!

More profits and less paperwork for X

Problem as I see it which is starting to affect our terminal is that HD with smaller trucks are getting larger and larger boxes and having to come back to the terminal because loads won't fit in the P700's any longer. Depending on where the route is that might not be possible. The smaller trucks also don't have to meet CARB rules in CA.

With the growth happening some HD contractors are already starting to get a few P1000s on the busier routes which then puts them in non compliance. Its a cluster.

Purplepackage

That's better money than an Express courier in most cases, especially the lower end of the scale. Are you sure those are honest numbers?

More than most express drivers? Everyone here must have been hired in the past 10 years or just work absolutely no hours. I've been working almost consistently 45 hours a week at express (more during peak and more when I first got hired way back when). I gross substantially more than the numbers he posted.

FedGT

More than most express drivers? Everyone here must have been hired in the past 10 years or just work absolutely no hours. I've been working almost consistently 45 hours a week at express (more during peak and more when I first got hired way back when). I gross substantially more than the numbers he posted.

A 15+ year employee would be grossing much more than the numbers posted. Most of my guys have been 1-2 year employees since I have not been doing this for a very long period of time. If we had 10 year employees the numbers would be extremely higher than anything previously posted.

Purplepackage

A 15+ year employee would be grossing much more than the numbers posted. Most of my guys have been 1-2 year employees since I have not been doing this for a very long period of time. If we had 10 year employees the numbers would be extremely higher than anything previously posted.

Well that's a little hard to believe i can't imagine you could pay your drivers much more than 50-55k and still make money yourself.

Regardless I was directing that towards mfe, I'm in a top market station and I've been at a top swing rate since 4 years after I started saying no one at express makes money is just grumpy guys complaining, my wife and I have done just fine on and express and teachers salary

MAKAVELI

Well that's a little hard to believe i can't imagine you could pay your drivers much more than 50-55k and still make money yourself.

Regardless I was directing that towards mfe, I'm in a top market station and I've been at a top swing rate since 4 years after I started saying no one at express makes money is just grumpy guys complaining, my wife and I have done just fine on and express and teachers salary
But the the problem is no one makes it to top rate anymore. Your annual earnings is not the average of a express courier anymore.

WestcoastHD

Massive Stinkies

What do you make per stop? And do contracts get a fuel surcharge like real owner operators get from the customer?

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Not bricked out, can walk through entire van without jumping over boxes all day long. I am assuming there is sarcasm there but just incase.
Nope - no sarcasm at all. I genuinely didn't know and was just curious - never heard that expression. Thanks for the explanation.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Problem as I see it which is starting to affect our terminal is that HD with smaller trucks are getting larger and larger boxes and having to come back to the terminal because loads won't fit in the P700's any longer.

The p700s are over 10k lbs in my hub, which put those drivers to stay in the 70 hour HOS rules... Yea, I noticed those managers running around checking the GVWR on each route and jotting them down, which made me question what was going on

Only a few cargo vans, standard height & bubble tops, and maybe a handful of sprinters fall under 10k lbs so those drivers can opt to enter their on/off duty times for real???

WestcoastHD

Massive Stinkies
Wish I could give you that info but pretty positive that is confidential info. We do get fuel surcharge though.
Kinda screwed up when the boss makes us drive 20 minutes in the wrong direction to "joe's discount fuel station" to save 10¢ a gallon when he's receiving the FSC from FedEx. Just another reason I won't shut the truck off at stops.

FedGT

Kinda screwed up when the boss makes us drive 20 minutes in the wrong direction to "joe's discount fuel station" to save 10¢ a gallon when he's receiving the FSC from FedEx. Just another reason I won't shut the truck off at stops.

Haha! I would never be able to tell my guys to do that, maybe .40 per gallon, I could. Tell him to get the new fuel cards they hold better fuel rates if you live in a place with participating vendors.