Ground taking over

vantexan

The goal of this company right now is to become as close to the UPS operation without combining the operations. They want to be UPS with the RLA exemption.
There's no doubt they're using the RLA exemption to their advantage. The crux of the matter is whether it's legal. So far appears to be.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The goal of this company right now is to become as close to the UPS operation without combining the operations. They want to be UPS with the RLA exemption.
They've already combined the operations but pretend they are separate. That's the game. The deniers are sticking to the belief/lie that FedEx Ground is an Independent Third Party, which is most certainly is not. If FedEx was having DHL or even UPS deliver their freight, then that claim could be legitimately made. Farming out air to United Airlines in the bellies? Yep, Third Party.

But, FedEx Ground is an FDX opco, and managed by FedEx. This whole scam has been coordinated from the top and in the works for years. As somebody else said, they would have done it years ago if they could. I don't know whether it's desperation to increase the profit margin, the Amazonification of the industry or a political and legislative playing field that Raj thinks won't stand in his way at this moment in time.

Sell FedEx Ground to a group of investors from Saudi Arabia, have them manage it, and have nothing to do with FDX except as being a true Third Party Service Provider, and the stink goes away. Right now, it's a combined operation managed by the same upper management team and is anything but a Third Party.

Mutineer

There's no doubt they're using the RLA exemption to their advantage. The crux of the matter is whether it's legal. So far appears to be.

I have pointed that out a few times. I expected that revelation to have the same effect on the discussion of this subject as turning a fire hose on a pair of humping dogs.

I was wrong.

Mutineer

Spot-on with the reputation comment, but I don't think they really care too much. They will continue to sell the "Absolutely, Positively, Overnight" line along with PSP and all the rest of the BS. At this point, even the Purple People have to see that it's all crap and means absolutely nothing.

Customers are starting to catch-on, and as they do, fewer will be willing to pay for poor Express service. When your vital whatever doesn't get there, next time you call UPS. They are still professional and have excellent service. You get what you pay for, and UPS employees either get it done correctly or they're gone.

Contrast that with the Ground guy in the 20 year-old W700 with a bent frame that hasn't been washed in a year. He noses into your driveway, and throws your package up against the garage because you have stairs. He's wearing a Ross or Goodwill warm-up suit and looks like he's just been released on parole. And, your package is late by about a week.

Over time, people take notice, like when the Ground driver murdered that girl in Texas or when Ground semis are consistently involved in major accidents. I'm not sure who is worse, Ground or Swift. Probably a toss-up. Express employees aren't much better these days, and they keep lowering the bar.

Let's give this a few months and see where it goes and if regulators smell a rat.

Many years ago, I observed a portable electronic device (don't remember the name) show a map and plot a route to a destination. It was laughably terrible. I scoffed at, and heaped derision upon it. But I also knew that it, and others like it would improve.

The descendants of that electronic device are very much responsible for reducing the occupation of a courier to a dead-end, poverty job. As such, that fact will contribute greatly to the least desirable people filling this occupation. With predictable, readily observable results.

Union protected UPS is the only outlier in this occupation. It's a matter of time (less than ten years?) before UPS will be forced to join this race to the bottom, or disappear.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
There are a lot of people in cults here in the US. They are like pagan religions too. You have the climate change cult. Somehow the MSM and government has managed to convince about 50% of our country that the climate is not like it was when we were kids. Anyone with half a brain can see it is still the same. It's also the same as when your dad was a kid and when his dad was a kid. Yet, these conspiracy theorists have convinced most people that it's not the same. And now that cult uses all encompassing terms like "climate change" so they're never wrong. If it's too sunny, it's climate change. If it's too cloudy, it's climate change. If it's raining, it's climate change, etc., etc.

Then there is the "diversity and inclusion" cult. That has replaced merit as the new standard to hire people. We no longer hire someone because they are the most qualified, now we must hire all in the name of diversity and inclusion.

And finally there is the LGBTQ+ cult. You must submit to this cult by wearing pride shirts to professional hockey games, even if you're not gay. It keeps sliding more and more degenerate too. First if was tolerate gays, then it was accept gays. After that was accomplished it was embrace gays. Finally let gays marry. Now that we're past that point, it became tolerate transsexuals. Then it was accept, then embrace. Now we are propagandized that there are no longer 2 genders and men can get pregnant. And it's now evolved to men dressing up like women and doing strip shows in front of toddlers. If you took your toddler to watch a real woman strip in front of them, you'd get arrested for child abuse, but since it's LGBTQ, it's to be celebrated and worshiped. Their "church" is the local bar, library, or kindergarten class, and their patron saints are men dressed up like women. Truly degenerate.

How far will these pseudo religious cults keep forcing their will upon you? As far as you will let them.
22A35D90-755B-4130-B282-28FFCBEE64CD.jpeg

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
You "get it". Dano and the Usual Suspects want us all to believe that this changeover is "simple". It isn't. FDX just cannot unilaterally decide that one of its own opcos is a Third Party and then reap the financial rewards of having low-wage contract workers perform much of the Express system work.

They also act like nobody at the competition and/or regulators have taken notice. Again, just a "simple" shift in operations. Afraid not. Losing the RLA is just one of several issues involved. Because it is so inconsequential, Dano and his fellow "thinkers" continue to cite legal precedents and rulings that apply to an organization whose operations have fundamentally changed. The RLA has always been a gift to FedEx, but the circumstances surrounding Fred's 52 year-old Christmas present are now extremely sketchy.

This reminds me of Trump and all of his tough talk about simple solutions to very complex problems and issues. The only thing "simple" about what they're doing are the minds that think Picard has just said "Make It So, #1" and poof, it's magically accomplished.

Be assured that the checks are flying fast and furious and that FedEx lobbyists are working OT to ensure this fiasco floats. This turd is headed to the bottom of the punch bowl.
There's a sports radio guy in Nashville who insists that the NFL salary cap is fake and doesn't exist, and he goes out of his way to bring it up several times each show. Then he turns around and says teams have to make tough decisions because of salary cap limitations.

It reminds me of your RLA rants about how the world's largest air cargo company with a fleet of 600 planes isn't an air transport company.

Nonetheless, I love your QAnon FedEx conspiracies.

59 Dano

Some stations are sending priority freight and pick ups to ground. It's like you don't even know what's going on.
And here you are arguing that Express shouldn't be RLA when the courts have said otherwise.

It's like you don't understand the basics of the issue.

59 Dano

When did I say either of those things? The 2016 election wasn’t stolen from Clinton, nor was the 2020 election stolen from Trump. There are tons of whiny, delusional liberals. What does that have anything to do with the fact that right wing media is mostly manufactured outrage, lies, and conspiracy theories? Seems like another case of you playing your go to “what about this, what about that” card.
I siad THE SIDE that said those things.

I think you have the right wing media confused with the left wing media.

59 Dano

Tell Dano. He would call you a liar for pointing out the plain truth. FedEx money might not preserve the RLA this time because what they're doing is so blatant. I would expect that local politicians will get an earful from displaced Express employees and that the lawyers are waiting their turn to pounce.

Remember, according to their official BrownCafe spoke-shill, you need to believe what management is telling you. Nobody is losing their job and operations have not been merged. Nothing has changed and you should just be grateful to work for such a wonderful company.
Or, as I predicted....

A year or so ago the head of a hedge fund who is also a large stakeholder in FDX met with Smith. Much of his time was spent talking about Express and let's just say that he is not fond of our 'peopleness.' He doesn't believe in minimum pay but he does believe in laying couriers off during slower parts of the year. Once someone else controls a majority of the stock, hope for a long term guy. The pain won't be as bad. A short term guy will slash everything, drive up the stock price, and then sell. He won't show any mercy because he won't be around to deal with the fallout. A long termer will. - Dano, January 2015

Contrary to popular belief there isn't anyone out there who is dying to take charge of the company and has "improved pay and benefits for Express couriers" anywhere on his to-do list. There isn't anyone who would put much effort into trying to preserve what we have now unless we include other executives that are already with the company who are close to Fred himself.

There are those under the assumption that getting rid of Fred means that we're gonna get some benevolent guy who loves giving raises. No. The corporate world wonders why he doesn't have large layoffs and and why he pays minimums and that sort of thing. The current FedEx (flaws and all) is better than what we'll have after Fred. An outsider who takes over doesn't see anything but an opportunity to slash costs to the bone and, if possible, make Express look more like Ground. -
Dano, January 2015

If they want to make investors happy, they get rid of Fred and the rest of the old guard. They convert a lot of FT positions to PT, get rid of guarantee pay, possibly cut benefits, contract out some of the work, and lay people off when the situation calls for it. The old-timers who believe in the company believe all of that stuff is needed for the stock price to stay high. Most others understand that the company is spending a lot of money on this stuff and that it keeps the stock price lower. Some of the larger shareholders have been making this point for the last few years.

If you like Smith, fine. If you hate him, fine. What few people realize is that he's the person who is in the way of the people who would take a machete to expenses in order to make some big money in short order. There are people who see this company as something that could be much more profitable than it is. -
Dano, September 2019

The reason they don't do [what they're doing now] is because these decisions are made by the old guard. The old guard, whether you think they're good or they're bad, are purple bleeders AND THAT'S THE PROBLEM LARGER INVESTORS HAVE WITH THEM. - Dano, October 2019

Are we done here or do you have other delusions that you'd like to share with us?

59 Dano

Insert Amazon.
Remember the thread that was started back in 2015 where a bunch of you paste eaters were banging the "Amazon will take all our freight and the end is nigh" drum?

And here we are, nearly a decade later... still waiting for them to do 3rd party transport.

Fedexcellent

So Dano, are you saying the rumors are true that a large portion of Express is about to be forced into PT roles or laid off entirely?

So far it seems there are definitely some smaller stations who are being told a portion of their freight is shifting to ground, but it does seem to be smaller stations that serve rural areas primarily (or are pretty much within arms reach of Memphis)

MAKAVELI

Or, as I predicted....

A year or so ago the head of a hedge fund who is also a large stakeholder in FDX met with Smith. Much of his time was spent talking about Express and let's just say that he is not fond of our 'peopleness.' He doesn't believe in minimum pay but he does believe in laying couriers off during slower parts of the year. Once someone else controls a majority of the stock, hope for a long term guy. The pain won't be as bad. A short term guy will slash everything, drive up the stock price, and then sell. He won't show any mercy because he won't be around to deal with the fallout. A long termer will. - Dano, January 2015

Contrary to popular belief there isn't anyone out there who is dying to take charge of the company and has "improved pay and benefits for Express couriers" anywhere on his to-do list. There isn't anyone who would put much effort into trying to preserve what we have now unless we include other executives that are already with the company who are close to Fred himself.

There are those under the assumption that getting rid of Fred means that we're gonna get some benevolent guy who loves giving raises. No. The corporate world wonders why he doesn't have large layoffs and and why he pays minimums and that sort of thing. The current FedEx (flaws and all) is better than what we'll have after Fred. An outsider who takes over doesn't see anything but an opportunity to slash costs to the bone and, if possible, make Express look more like Ground. -
Dano, January 2015

If they want to make investors happy, they get rid of Fred and the rest of the old guard. They convert a lot of FT positions to PT, get rid of guarantee pay, possibly cut benefits, contract out some of the work, and lay people off when the situation calls for it. The old-timers who believe in the company believe all of that stuff is needed for the stock price to stay high. Most others understand that the company is spending a lot of money on this stuff and that it keeps the stock price lower. Some of the larger shareholders have been making this point for the last few years.

If you like Smith, fine. If you hate him, fine. What few people realize is that he's the person who is in the way of the people who would take a machete to expenses in order to make some big money in short order. There are people who see this company as something that could be much more profitable than it is. -
Dano, September 2019

The reason they don't do [what they're doing now] is because these decisions are made by the old guard. The old guard, whether you think they're good or they're bad, are purple bleeders AND THAT'S THE PROBLEM LARGER INVESTORS HAVE WITH THEM. - Dano, October 2019

Are we done here or do you have other delusions that you'd like to share with us?
The old guard doesn't " care " about Frontline workers. They just knew what the minimum was to keep a somewhat stable workforce. Your idea of investors wanting to slash pay and benefits for Frontline workers would tank the company.

59 Dano

Contrast that with the Ground guy in the 20 year-old W700 with a bent frame that hasn't been washed in a year. He noses into your driveway, and throws your package up against the garage because you have stairs. He's wearing a Ross or Goodwill warm-up suit and looks like he's just been released on parole.
I'm as put off by Ground drivers and what they do as you are, but the average customer doesn't GAF.

59 Dano

They've already combined the operations but pretend they are separate. That's the game. The deniers are sticking to the belief/lie that FedEx Ground is an Independent Third Party, which is most certainly is not. If FedEx was having DHL or even UPS deliver their freight, then that claim could be legitimately made. Farming out air to United Airlines in the bellies? Yep, Third Party.

But, FedEx Ground is an FDX opco, and managed by FedEx.
@It will be fine already explained this so that even you could understand it. FedEx Ground doesn't have trucks or employees that deliver packages, they just conduct the sorting and loading.

Why are you in denial?

Gone fishin

I'm as put off by Ground drivers and what they do as you are, but the average customer doesn't GAF.
As long as it’s on time , not left in the rain , delivered to the correct address , can be identified as a fed ex employee and don’t steal anything from the residence. Let’s start there

59 Dano

So Dano, are you saying the rumors are true that a large portion of Express is about to be forced into PT roles or laid off entirely?

So far it seems there are definitely some smaller stations who are being told a portion of their freight is shifting to ground, but it does seem to be smaller stations that serve rural areas primarily (or are pretty much within arms reach of Memphis)
There are some jobs that will be cut with redeployment, and some that will just be cut with severance.

59 Dano

The old guard doesn't " care " about Frontline workers. They just knew what the minimum was to keep a somewhat stable workforce. Your idea of investors wanting to slash pay and benefits for Frontline workers would tank the company.
It wasn't my idea, it's what they said. Though I never claimed they said anything about cutting pay and bennies.

Regardless, I guess it was a mere coincidence that all this started after Fred left.