Half hour breaks?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I'll start by saying I have taken ONE 1 hour break in the last 13 years. They announced at the morning meeting we had to take an hour break. That day I did. Luckily, the next morning we had a meeting with our Director. I asked, in front of everyone including the managers, 'We were told we needed to take an hour break. Has the policy changed, or can we still take 30 minutes?' Her, response 'No, the policy hasn't changed. You can still take only 30 minute, if you want'. Managers faces turned red.
It's also my understanding (not sure if it's accurate), it depends on state law. But, according to FMCSA, you can only take 30, if you choose. You can read that here
Summary of Hours of Service Regulations | FMCSA

FedEx can require you to take 60. Depends on whether someone (ops manager, senior, director, etc.) wants it. I understand the reasoning behind requiring 60 minutes, though it doesn't work out that way as much as hoped.

JJinVA

Our Dispatcher gave me two boards the other day. One to run EAMs and air, another to take 80 stops off another driver, and then later had me take 40 stops off one driver, another 28 off another driver, and then sweep a UPS store. I punched out a 40 minute lunch to make up for all the time lost meeting, swapping, arranging packages etc, but when they merged my boards my lunch time disappeared. Then they asked me why I didnt take a lunch lol.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our Dispatcher gave me two boards the other day. One to run EAMs and air, another to take 80 stops off another driver, and then later had me take 40 stops off one driver, another 28 off another driver, and then sweep a UPS store. I punched out a 40 minute lunch to make up for all the time lost meeting, swapping, arranging packages etc, but when they merged my boards my lunch time disappeared. Then they asked me why I didnt take a lunch lol.

The time lost meeting, wrapping, arranging packages, etc., is on them, not you.

floridays

FedEx can require you to take 60. Depends on whether someone (ops manager, senior, director, etc.) wants it. I understand the reasoning behind requiring 60 minutes, though it doesn't work out that way as much as hoped.
No, by most state's statute a break period must be allowed.

It is simply a direct from FEDEX to control hours and keep someone on the road later.

If you take the time to look at most states requirement for breaks it simply states a certain time period must be offered.

In no way do they say it is required for DOT.

I understand the reasoning myself.

Last edited:

floridays

No. Never in all my years. They used to keep a copy in the CSA area and one in the manager area that I know of.
Amazing, I had my own, personal copy.
I was just asking a question, thanks for the response.
Hope your weekend is like when you were a kid, fun, dirty and long.

Get to the beach and get a tan :thumbup1:.

FedexGirl

My station requires one hour breaks - apparently on road performance goes way down when 30 min breaks were approved. And apparently trucks were not back to the station for pup rts any sooner.

floridays

I know but it makes my numbers look better and since Im new Im out to impress. Once Im full time and got some time under my belt Ill stick it to the man
No you won't.

If you feel the need to impress do it at the bar, the bar and grill or gym.

I see this is your first rodeo.
Saddle up cowboy :rolleyes::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:.

AB831

I know but it makes my numbers look better and since Im new Im out to impress. Once Im full time and got some time under my belt Ill stick it to the man
Careful with that school of thought. Demonstration of any sort of initiative will be viewed as someone managers can dump their responsibilities onto. After a year with the company, I was essentially running the PM sort while the manager was outside chain smoking for 80% of its duration. I got sick of being taken advantage of, and now as a full time driver, I do the bare minimum to continue picking up a check.

AB831

No, by most state's statute a break period must be allowed.

It is simply a direct from FEDEX to control hours and keep someone on the road later.

Yup. God forbid you should have responsibilities that don't involve cardboard. That notion is truly foreign to management and the company in general. They expect it to be a lifestyle.

floridays

Who said otherwise?
I know how to deal with you now.
To answer your question
Every manager that has said it was the law.

My questions to you

Does any state require an employee take a break if they work 6:01 hours in a day? yes or no

One has nothing to do with the other.
Exactly one does have to do with the other.
If a courier runs his/her route in seven hours, and returns to building at 7 hours, exactly who would the dispatcher call for an on call at seven hours and one minute?

JJinVA

Careful with that school of thought. Demonstration of any sort of initiative will be viewed as someone managers can dump their responsibilities onto. After a year with the company, I was essentially running the PM sort while the manager was outside chain smoking for 80% of its duration. I got sick of being taken advantage of, and now as a full time driver, I do the bare minimum to continue picking up a check.

The other day one of the supes told a temp driver they needed him to work local sort and sent the other temps back out on road. He was so bent he called the union steward and the steward told him that because he was there as a driver and they asked him to do a second, unrelated job, that he would get top rate of $40 something an hour. I don't think the sup knew that but my buddy was cracking up.

floridays

The other day one of the supes told a temp driver they needed him to work local sort and sent the other temps back out on road. He was so bent he called the union steward and the steward told him that because he was there as a driver and they asked him to do a second, unrelated job, that he would get top rate of $40 something an hour. I don't think the sup knew that but my buddy was cracking up.
Not to be mean but your on the wrong side here, no union no stewards.
I'll be nice and give you a hand however.

@IVE GOTTA PACKAGE 4U, you're a nice guy, we got one of your young knuckleheads that needs to be herded into your corral.
He's talking unions and stewards and the like stuff, things the purple side don't understand.:lol::thumbup1:. I was being sarcastic in my mean way being the nice guy I am.
Please take care of him before I turn him over to a mean guy like
@burrheadd, be easy on him... he seems nice enough. Maybe @Future can get the guy some kibble and
bits or meow mix.

There ya go kid, I hope I was of service to you.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Exactly one does have to do with the other.
If a courier runs his/her route in seven hours, and returns to building at 7 hours, exactly who would the dispatcher call for an on call at seven hours and one minute?

Not me, that's for sure.