OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Ok, I'm not even on team brownie so from a driver looking at the big picture:

it all depends on your local terminal, hub, barn, whateverucallit

Some demographic areas like CO and TX are exploding with new developments of suburbia, while other areas aren't seeing growth... Is your building being expanded?

Other areas are having a hard time getting inside workers to qualify, so there's a higher % of off~the~street drivers even based on that 6 to 1 hiring ratio

Just don't hit nuthin' during your stay as a seasonal, because management are watching n making a list n checking it twice to see who stays and who goes.

you'll notice as the trickle layoffs of the suckiest seasonal drivers starts in late January...

Good luck to y'all need don't take their "dangling of the carrot" too seriously

EMRB

Hello,

Heading to Intergrad for drivers school. I've been with UPS as a package handler for 2 years but I'm only the second person in my building to be sent to Intergrad. I've read some posts on here about it but most seem to be several years old so I figured I'd start a new one.

I know it's a pretty intense course, my boss called it UPS Boot Camp. I've already been through real basic training so I'm not so concerned about the course intensity but more worried about getting booted for something stupid and preventable.

I'm heading to West Boylston, MA for school. Does anyone know if you use a manual transmission in the trucks there? I know the basics for driving stick but it's been 5 years since I've learned it and none of the trucks in my center have sticks so my bosses told me not to worry about it when I told them. I understand the process to operate a manual trans but I'm definitely rusty on it; I know I'm gonna grind the gears.

Footwear, most of the drivers in my center wear those cheap New Balance all black leather walking shoes that most fast food workers wear. I bought a pair but now I'm wondering if this an acceptable option for Intergrad? I'm sure I could polish them but they're definitely sneakers and not boots.

As for the uniform it needs to be clean and presentable with creases along the front of the pant legs and along the sleeve correct? I didn't get any shorts so I don't need to worry about wearing the UPS socks right? I know I need solid white or brown undershirts.

Any other tips or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks
HF
Yes, don't trust anyone, bosses, union reps, other drivers.... just you and yourself.

1pocket73

I wonder too. I'm driving seasonal now. Will I be sent to Intergrad? What if I failed which I doubt but am I out eventhough I'm already driving?
Don't underestimate Integrad.It is not easy and quite frankly be prepared for a week of high pressure stress.The stuff is not rocket science but they structure the program to put a lot of pressure on you to see if you can handle it.Much like doing a package route.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Bring back the good old days , pass a road trip , see the doc, and be handed the keys to a PC . And if you were really lucky maybe a sup would driver along with you , of course the sup had no knowledge of the area .

Brown for life

I've been hearing a lot of negative things about intergrad lately. Not sure if I'll be attending Chicago, Texas, Arizona..etc. I've also been to told it's all psychological that the instructors try and get in your head!? Any insight would be helpful. Thank you all so much

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I've been hearing a lot of negative things about intergrad lately. Not sure if I'll be attending Chicago, Texas, Arizona..etc. I've also been to told it's all psychological that the instructors try and get in your head!? Any insight would be helpful. Thank you all so much
Yes be very wary when the hypnotist shows up he's going to try and go deep inside your brain. Then they will have you go around repeating the UPS motto for 3 days.
If you make it that far your in

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

*Integrad*

If you don't even know how to spell it, how can you pass?

Over 70

It's not that bad. Like most anything worth doing, preparation sets you up for success.

If you memorize the DOK before you step foot in there it's 90% of the battle. Keep an impeccable appearance from day 1 to stay off that radar.

After seeing how screwed everyone else was who didn't follow this advice day 1 my nervousness was gone. While they were up till midnight studying in groups I was trying to decide what flavor wings to get at the bar.

They are going to yell at you and act like you just ran baby Jesus over at times but just keep getting better and realize there's zero to be nervous about in the end. Everyone will make plenty of mistakes. Just keep improving. They want you to pass.

There will be people who don't make it and in hindsight it's a good thing. They don't hold your hand when you hit the road. The people who didn't make it in my class were the types that just blank out over and over under pressure.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
upload_2017-1-2_8-30-52.png