HFolb23

Hello,

Heading to Intergrad for drivers school. I've been with UPS as a package handler for 2 years but I'm only the second person in my building to be sent to Intergrad. I've read some posts on here about it but most seem to be several years old so I figured I'd start a new one.

I know it's a pretty intense course, my boss called it UPS Boot Camp. I've already been through real basic training so I'm not so concerned about the course intensity but more worried about getting booted for something stupid and preventable.

I'm heading to West Boylston, MA for school. Does anyone know if you use a manual transmission in the trucks there? I know the basics for driving stick but it's been 5 years since I've learned it and none of the trucks in my center have sticks so my bosses told me not to worry about it when I told them. I understand the process to operate a manual trans but I'm definitely rusty on it; I know I'm gonna grind the gears.

Footwear, most of the drivers in my center wear those cheap New Balance all black leather walking shoes that most fast food workers wear. I bought a pair but now I'm wondering if this an acceptable option for Intergrad? I'm sure I could polish them but they're definitely sneakers and not boots.

As for the uniform it needs to be clean and presentable with creases along the front of the pant legs and along the sleeve correct? I didn't get any shorts so I don't need to worry about wearing the UPS socks right? I know I need solid white or brown undershirts.

Any other tips or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks
HF

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
Assume you're going to get a manual for all the training, including when/if they take you for a drive in the "safety" bus. The truck they give you will be old as James Casey.

They will want polishable black or brown leather work books. The veterans may get away with sneakers but you will want work boots. I recommend Dr. Scholl's steel tip.

You are correct about the uniform. If you have been given the "jacket" top versus the "shirt" top that has tails then you can leave it untucked. They will most likely do uniform inspections every day.

Start practicing your 5 and 10 now. Write them down dozens of times every day. You'll have enough to worry about during the week. Rest and get plenty to eat and drink.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
Get boots for class...there was a guy kicked out day one for not having boots...even if they are 15 dollar Payless boots get them and then wear the new balance once you start working

HFolb23

image.jpeg image.jpeg Thanks for the replies.

After I posted that thread one of the trucks we sent for air broke down on the way to the airport. Luckily for me the driver returned in a borrowed car from another center and it just so happened to be a manual. I grabbed one of the mechanics and got some practice doing a few laps around the yard. I was way rustier than I had thought I was so I'm glad I had the chance to practice. I got to the point that I could start it and put it into first gear then take off and stop smoothly so hopefully I can do the same at Intergrad if and when the time comes.

I also went and bought black polishable leather work boots. They're Rocky's and hopefully will work; I'm attaching a picture hopefully someone can tell me if they will or won't meet the standard.

Also I have to ask, what happens to those that fail Intergrad? I've been there for two years hopefully it doesn't mean a termination.

I've been practicing my 5s and 10s. Do I need to know both of these pages word for word? I have the 5 Seeing Habit memorized word for word as appears on that sheet but I'm wondering if it's just the rule and then the words in quotes that I need to onow? Or do I need to know the description as well? How about the 10 Point Commentary do I need to know everything word for word?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3,007

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
View attachment 96917 View attachment 96918 Thanks for the replies.

After I posted that thread one of the trucks we sent for air broke down on the way to the airport. Luckily for me the driver returned in a borrowed car from another center and it just so happened to be a manual. I grabbed one of the mechanics and got some practice doing a few laps around the yard. I was way rustier than I had thought I was so I'm glad I had the chance to practice. I got to the point that I could start it and put it into first gear then take off and stop smoothly so hopefully I can do the same at Intergrad if and when the time comes.

I also went and bought black polishable leather work boots. They're Rocky's and hopefully will work; I'm attaching a picture hopefully someone can tell me if they will or won't meet the standard.

Also I have to ask, what happens to those that fail Intergrad? I've been there for two years hopefully it doesn't mean a termination.

I've been practicing my 5s and 10s. Do I need to know both of these pages word for word? I have the 5 Seeing Habit memorized word for word as appears on that sheet but I'm wondering if it's just the rule and then the words in quotes that I need to onow? Or do I need to know the description as well? How about the 10 Point Commentary do I need to know everything word for word?
Word for word.

UrFellowUpser

I
View attachment 96917 View attachment 96918 Thanks for the replies.

I memorized both just in case im going next week

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
Those are some good boots son...and yes word for word...some guys I know recorded themselves saying it and then would play it in their car while driving to the grocery store and stuff...what worked for me was just writing those sumbitches out a ton...do one at a time write is 10 times then say it out loud without looking

I Just Wanna Go Home

From my experience with integrad, they're more relaxed then people on here say. You should have 3 tests you need to study for before going to make it easier. 5 seeing habits, 10 point commentary, and the pre trip. I had the 5 100% word for word and the 10 I'd say was 85-90% word for word and they let me pass. The pre trip you can get 5 wrong and still pass as long as your under 3 minutes 30 seconds, DO NOT miss the seat belt. That's an automatic fail. You can take those 3 tests once a day until you pass. On Friday you can take them as many times as it takes to pass until the final quiz. For uniforms, Monday and Tuesday are coaching days. They tell you what needs to be improved on your uniform. Wed-fri they must meet appearance standards. Iron them every morning and shave every morning. The integration station (fake city thing) is pretty easy, it was like 2 resi stops, 2 business stops, a Dropbox, a dock stop, and a backing station. Have to run the whole thing in like 19 minutes on the test day. Thursday I think. In my opinion the driver drill is the hardest part. Pull an instructor aside and ask for tips on that one. In a class of 24, 20 of us passed. The four that didn't failed on the driver drill.

UrFellowUpser

Integrad is mainly a stress test. Stay calm and you'll do fine. It's easier than they try to make it seem
From my experience with integrad, they're more relaxed then people on here say. You should have 3 tests you need to study for before going to make it easier. 5 seeing habits, 10 point commentary, and the pre trip. I had the 5 100% word for word and the 10 I'd say was 85-90% word for word and they let me pass. The pre trip you can get 5 wrong and still pass as long as your under 3 minutes 30 seconds, DO NOT miss the seat belt. That's an automatic fail. You can take those 3 tests once a day until you pass. On Friday you can take them as many times as it takes to pass until the final quiz. For uniforms, Monday and Tuesday are coaching days. They tell you what needs to be improved on your uniform. Wed-fri they must meet appearance standards. Iron them every morning and shave every morning. The integration station (fake city thing) is pretty easy, it was like 2 resi stops, 2 business stops, a Dropbox, a dock stop, and a backing station. Have to run the whole thing in like 19 minutes on the test day. Thursday I think. In my opinion the driver drill is the hardest part. Pull an instructor aside and ask for tips on that one. In a class of 24, 20 of us passed. The four that didn't failed on the driver drill.
Thx i saw the driver drill thing on youtube

I Just Wanna Go Home

The driver drill was way different than that video in my experience. That was mostly commentary driving which you have to do also but isn't to bad. The driver drill I was taught was you had 2 minutes and had to make 45 front eye movements and 15 rear eye movements. Front eye movements were eye lead time, follow time, left curb and right curb. Rear eye movements were left mirror, right mirror and speed. Easiest way to do it was eye lead time, follow time, speed. Then left curb, left mirror, left curb. Then eye lead time, follow time, speed. Then right curb mirror curb. Basically middle, left, middle, right, middle, left etc. Until they say stop. Hardest part about it is you have to verbalize everything so they know you're moving your eyes. and trying to get the words out fast enough is what got most people. You also have to say what eye lead time is I.e. Eye lead time is to the speed limit sign. Had to say what the follow time was I.e. Follow time about 5 seconds (unless there's no cars in front of you, then just say follow time over 8 seconds). And you had to call clear or hazard for everything else. I.e. Left curb hazard left mirror clear left curb hazard. So together you would say, eye lead time is to the speed limit sign follow time is over 8 seconds speed is clear (not speeding) left curb is clear left mirror is clear left curb is now hazard eye lead time is to the stale green light follow time is about 6 seconds speed is clear right curb hazard right mirror hazard right curb clear. For 2 minutes straight. I was told you fail if you have more than 5 miss calls (right curb clear when there's a car there etc). TLDR: you have to talk a lot. And it sucks

I Just Wanna Go Home

And the pre trip video was pretty in depth (I watched like 30 seconds and he was still talking about the fire extinguisher so TLDW). In my experience you just had to point at stuff and say what it was and that was good enough for them. There was a few thing you actually had to test to make sure it was working (headlights, handbrake, wipers etc) but mostly you just point at it and say what it is. thats the fire extinguisher, that's the hazmat sticker, that's the DVIR etc.