upsgrunt

When I was first starting out, I remember being able to not worry about aches and pains and feeling as strong as an ox; carrying whatever I had for a stop out and down the PC steps in one trip. Now everything hurts, and the feeling that I can't trust my knees completely when I'm getting out sucks the worst. Some days it's fine, and then the next day I'll get out with an envelope and step down to a twitch of pain that makes me want to piss my pants. Not knowing what to expect has become the worst for me. I want to go back to not worrying about something hurting or giving out.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Many pick ups times have been moved so that they are picked up when delivered. Can't rack up those Orion miles. 11 am delivery? Sorry I'm supposed to pick up too.
These shippers average more than one package per day?
I remember implementing on trace back in the 80's as a center manager if the shipper had less than 5 packages per week but then an air pickup driver would swing by if they had any air. Different world back then ... pre-DIAD.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
These shippers average more than one package per day?
I remember implementing on trace back in the 80's as a center manager if the shipper had less than 5 packages per week but then an air pickup driver would swing by if they had any air. Different world back then ... pre-DIAD.
Yep. Some are decent sized. 10-30 packages per day.

Depends on the center manager also. Some won't do it. Others do whatever they are told.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Yep. Some are decent sized. 10-30 packages per day.

Depends on the center manager also. Some won't do it. Others do whatever they are told.
Nope ... nothing like that kind of volume. Things do change.
Must be all ground packages. There's not much margin in ground packages.
As UPS gains more capacity, the pickups on trace may be tightened up.
UPS squeezes the customers just as they do us.

AutoZone

BrownPower
Give it time----there will be.
The only inclination of heat I've gotten was delivering and early AM NDA on a Saturday to a high end race boat builder.. I dropped off his package and he said, "where the friend is the important one?". I said I'm not sure, that's the only one I have for you. He says that's bullSh, I ordered them both at the same time from the same supplier. I said check your tracking number, if there's a problem call the center. have a great day! I went back there the next Saturday with the IMPORTANT package. And he apologized to me and said his shipper messed up..

Last edited:

AutoZone

BrownPower
I did have an older customer stop me once and ask why we don't stick around after we ring the doorbell. I told him we on such a tight time crunch that they don't allow it unless there's a signature required. He said he missed the days the ups
Man would knock on his door, hand him his package with a smile and engage a quick little conversion with him. He said, "that's real service". Sad you all have gotten away from that... I kind of agree with the man.

I came from a full service industry where it was our job to make sure customers were happy. The ole mighty $ has ruined it tho for the shipping industry. I have the Richard Branson ideology.. take care of employees.. employees take care of customers.. and the happy customers do more business...