TooTechie

Geek in Brown
So in talking with a pretty savvy, seemingly pretty smart center manager, told me he believes the main purpose of Orion is so that if the union decides to strike again, they'll have the software in place to just hire off the streets for half of what they pay us, and then tell the union to take a hike eventually.. o asked where he got that from, and he said the next contract top rate FT driver pay will more then likely be cut by $7-$8 an hour unless you're grandfathered in because ups has to make up their losses somewhere. Something about they hardly show profit on shipping now, and they've been buying up other companies just to stay afloat right now.. anyone have any insight on this,?
A) Orion doesn't work in most places
B) You still need a warm body behind the wheel to drive the truck, even if you fumble through it with Orion. A scab would be better off following RDO on most routes.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

A) Orion doesn't work in most places
B) You still need a warm body behind the wheel to drive the truck, even if you fumble through it with Orion. A scab would be better off following RDO on most routes.

A) False.
B) False.

Our on cars tell us that the newbies actually do much better with Orion than the veterans.

Distracted driver

Distracted Driver
So in talking with a pretty savvy, seemingly pretty smart center manager, told me he believes the main purpose of Orion is so that if the union decides to strike again, they'll have the software in place to just hire off the streets for half of what they pay us, and then tell the union to take a hike eventually.. o asked where he got that from, and he said the next contract top rate FT driver pay will more then likely be cut by $7-$8 an hour unless you're grandfathered in because ups has to make up their losses somewhere. Something about they hardly show profit on shipping now, and they've been buying up other companies just to stay afloat right now.. anyone have any insight on this,?
Never ever will happen even the rumor of a strike like last time ups lost almost 35 percent of its business and still have not gained all accounts back the competition grew by going into ups customers telling them we will go on strike and thier packages will be held up in stores trailers for weeks which made them switch carriers. They don't want that again along with untrained new drivers getting into accidents Orion was introduced by a group of investors to increase profit and productivity by mainly reducing miles ,,,, I just think another flop in the ups greed. Orion does not work but they will never admit that . When it was first introduced in our center I actually went more miles and was paid over by 1 hour and I am usually a close to scratch driver. So then dispatched asked me how I wanted the delivery order placed in my board lol. Sorta defeated the purpose of Orion

Over 70

When I first found the RDO button my efficiency went through the roof as a new driver because I started emptying the truck shelf by shelf front to back.

Orion had me randomly searching all over a bricked out truck.

RDO just made sense, Orion would want me to turn around in driveways in the ghetto which I know now but being new it was confusing.

I've learned alot more of the tricks to be more organized but find it hard to believe new drivers have better times with orion.

Last edited:

Johney

I've been told that Orion will only work at it's best if the center dispatcher spends the time to tweek it. In a big center that's never going to happen. In Upstates BOG center maybe the dispatcher has time to deal with it.

Over 70

I've been told that Orion will only work at it's best if the center dispatcher spends the time to tweek it. In a big center that's never going to happen. In Upstates BOG center maybe the dispatcher has time to deal with it.

My dispatcher was good and actually listened to and made adjustments to my concerns after I ran it for a month. It's alright now but RDO is still the best IMO