Hoffa Jr's and Dennis Taylor's hidden agenda revealed!

45% isnt pathetic. Its damn good. What's the demographic of workers that won't be at ups in 6 months and therefore have no reason to vote. What percent of total workers do they up. They won't tell us because then reaching 50% when we are including that demographic that has no reason to vote isnt realistic.
Well those workers who only worked here a fee months, you would think they would jump at the chance to get a $3 an hour raise.

Brown Down

My real concern with all of this comes from the report that Taylor was going to push this through if we didn't hit the threshold. I good negotiator would actually wait until the data from voting came in before deciding something like that. Then they could have made a reasonable decision from said data. That right there shows they didn't care what the workers wanted one way or the other. Any thoughts on that @T T?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
IT IS A MAJORITY TRANSIENT VOTING POOL, IT WILL NOT MATTER TO THEM IN 3 YEARS! SO WHY TAKE THE TIME TO VOTE IS THEIR THOUGHT PROCESS!

OK :censored2:, what were the totals strictly from the full time ranks?
You ever notice how ups doesn’t make public the turnover ratio to Us??? There’s a reason for that.... it’s terrible and very high, even for a pt job that has healthcare and a “pension”....

gman042

Been around the block a few times
What percentage of UPS Teamsters are part time?
Roughly 65% of Union membership are part time employees. I would dare to say of that percentage there are but a few that were here during the last contract vote.
The thing is....as it stands now....the future of working for UPS is a bleak and barrren wasteland of broken and abused bodies

I would agree with you if we were a unit of full time employees only... but we aren’t.... full of pt, young Millennials who have an average stay at ups of how many months???
I guess that is what the company and the Union membership want. Otherwise the PT wages and benefits should have been addressed decades ago. You reap what you sow.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
IBT constitution Art 7 section 2:

If less than half of the eligible members cast valid ballots, then a two-thirds (2/3) vote of those voting shall be required to reject such final offer and to authorize a strike. The failure of such membership to reject the final offer and to authorize a strike as herein provided shall require the negotiating committee to accept such final offer or such additional provisions as can be negotiated by it.

Now we view, in the sunlight, the actions and the true motivations taken by Dennis Taylor and Hoffa Jr. in the absolute :censored2:ing of the UPS members! Everyone knows voter turnout is always less than 50% due to the transient nature of a part time workforce! Hoffa Jr. and Dennis Taylor conspired to deny the UPS membership of any "voice" in the contract and planned for the contract to be rammed through no matter what the vote was!

By sending out that Strike Authorization vote months ago Hoffa Jr. and Dennis Taylor planned to invoke this article if the vote total was anything but a "yes" vote. This is why Dennis Taylor said "ratified" before all the numbers were announced on that live call Friday!

Not to be overly pedantic, but it is article 12, not article 7. Article 7 covers "GENERAL SECRETARY-TREASURER— DUTIES AND POWERS". The language in Article 12 does say they can negotiate further, and I think they should. We'll see what the word is come Monday, I hope.

BenBen I completely agree. The voting process needs to be changed. How is it fair for the part time vote to be able to control the fate of full timers. Thousands if not tens of thousands of part timers do not last very long, yet they can control the fate of others?!?!? Freight has a separate vote so should package car drivers & all full timers. If I'm a middle aged RPCD w/a family I'm now no longer guaranteed my hours?!? Should I buy a house? A newer car that I need? Does my Spouse need to pick up more our at their job? These are questions that now need to be asked. DISGUSTING AND SHAMEFULL. HOFFA/TAYLOR/UPS Negotiators will reap what they sow .... in this life or the next.

Brisket

Ding ding ding, Winner! These are newbies being hired @ $ 10, seeing they are getting a $2 or $3 raise in a month, voting Yes. Just wait till they go through their first peak, they will be gone and we ( Senior PTimers) and Full Timers are screwed for the next 4/ 5 years. This was plotted out quite a while ago. Beleive It.

You’re assuming they get through it. The first time they realize the start time is midnight and those boxes will not stop until 8 or 9, some will crack.

BrownRecycler

I don't like the idea of splitting part timer's vote in half.

People can work 2 part time shifts.

And, you will still have voter that didn't voted counted as less than 50%.

How about instead make it more about the eligibility to vote like seniority? The new people aren't used to union culture and won't pay too much attention to voting. And, those who is going to quit the revolving door company is definitely not going to vote and let it goes up in smoke.

10,000 people that are eligible to vote aren't like to vote because they are quitting the company. Imagine that?

Last edited: