Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Article suggests that mass roll out is at least a decade away and even then the most likely application is long haul which for us means sleeper and mileage runs will probably be the first affected. A lot of what we do is making local pickups, taking airs to airport, bringing loads from local sorts to the hubs and bringing preloads from the hubs to outlying centers. Human drivers will be around for the foreseeable future.

Box Ox

Wait until the lawyers get involved.

"Been hit by driverless truck"? "Better call Saul"!

Or, "Been hit by a truck with a human driver after the company negligently failed to replace him with a much safer autonomous vehicle? Give us a cha-ching ring!"

Not saying that autonomous vehicles are at that level yet. But there may come a day when insurance companies and the law dole out punishment for not utilizing them.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Will UPS make pension contributions to Sanford and Son retirement junkyard on behalf of the driverless trucks?
giphy.gif

MrFeeder

Self driving trucks replacing Feeder drivers or truck drivers in general? I don't think so. Too much is at risk. Too much liability and law suits towards companies. Being a Feeder driver myself there are a lot of maneuvers that an automation can't do. I don't care what anyone says but an automation machine can only be an automated at a certain borderline degree and that degree won't pass the trucking world. Just no. I wouldn't want my family sharing a road with an automated tractor trailer and I'm sure many more will be against it. One wrong move by that automated machine, it will be going straight to court writing a settlement checks.

Over 70

I think self driving anything is much further than the hype articles suggest. Much much further.....so far I'm not even concerned.

It's one thing to have a few successful tests, it's another thing to have millions on roads shared by humans....it would be a nightmare. Mark my words.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Or, "Been hit by a truck with a human driver after the company negligently failed to replace him with a much safer autonomous vehicle? Give us a cha-ching ring!"

Not saying that autonomous vehicles are at that level yet. But there may come a day when insurance companies and the law dole out punishment for not utilizing them.
UPS will require a Union worker to blame if anything goes wrong ... so ... probly ain't gonna happen.