Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I think self driving anything is much further than the hype articles suggest. Much much further.....so far I'm not even concerned.

It's one thing to have a few successful tests, it's another thing to have millions on roads shared by humans....it would be a nightmare. Mark my words.
The larger the saturation rate the safer they will become.

over9five

Staff member
I wonder how they drive in snow?
Me too. Will they slow down in inclement weather? What happens when all the sensors get covered with snow? Actually, I can answer the second question: THEY STOP WORKING. That's when UPS will call in it's army of part time seasonal feeder drivers...
"Ovah, there's a blizzard. We need you to come in to cover the robot..."

Brownslave688

Me too. Will they slow down in inclement weather? What happens when all the sensors get covered with snow? Actually, I can answer the second question: THEY STOP WORKING. That's when UPS will call in it's army of part time seasonal feeder drivers...
"Ovah, there's a blizzard. We need you to come in to cover the robot..."
You think there aren't ways around that?

The every car on the road will be communicating with each other and eventually the painted lines will have seniors in them also. The street lights the stops lights everything will be connected.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Everyone panics when they hear about this kind of thing. It wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. Sure, it would get rid of all the sh**y package delivery jobs, but they're sh**y jobs. It would instead create all kinds of new and better robotic tech jobs; skilled jobs that would pay better, be less physically demanding, and likely have much better hours. I would be more than ready to adapt if the time came.

Faceplanted

They already are safer than cars driven by human per mile traveled.

Let's stop with the liability issues and all the other bs you close minded people think will stop this from happening.

Brownslave688

Everyone panics when they hear about this kind of thing. It wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. Sure, it would get rid of all the sh**y package delivery jobs, but they're sh**y jobs. It would instead create all kinds of new and better robotic tech jobs; skilled jobs that would pay better, be less physically demanding, and likely have much better hours. I would be more than ready to adapt if the time came.
The younger generation would be perfectly happy to never drive.