Interesting Article About Teamsters Pension For All The Haters

oldngray

nowhere special
The amount of income that's taxed for SS has already doubled over the last twenty years or so.

The problem is social security morphed from a retirement assistance program to one that also supported disabilities to people who paid little into the system. Not that people with disabilities don't need help but it is bankrupting social security. Plus the government raiding the money for other expenses didn't help either.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The problem is social security morphed from a retirement assistance program to one that also supported disabilities to people who paid little into the system. Not that people with disabilities don't need help but it is bankrupting social security. Plus the government raiding the money for other expenses didn't help either.
It's what happens virtually anytime there is excess money. Doesn't matter if it's the union the government or just a household budget. It gets spent.

I can't wait to see what the union tries sell us our teamcare excess should be used on.

bacha29

Don't forget kids with autism. There is a woman in a neighboring town who has 5 kids to 4 different men. Out of the 5 kids 4 of them have "autism" 4 out or 5? yea right. She's pulling down $59,000 a year in entitlement benefits. That's why it seems like every kid born out of wedlock to some single mom today has "autism"

oldngray

nowhere special
Don't forget kids with autism. There is a woman in a neighboring town who has 5 kids to 4 different men. Out of the 5 kids 4 of them have "autism" 4 out or 5? yea right. She's pulling down $59,000 a year in entitlement benefits. That's why it seems like every kid born out of wedlock to some single mom today has "autism"

Autism has been the go to diagnosis for most kids with learning disabilities. I guess it is used to replace the less politically correct terms for some. They will divide it into different types of autism so they can more easily be classified. I knew a couple of people with Ausperger's (which was lumped back with autism) and they mostly just used it as an excuse to get away with things. I also know an autistic kid whose real problem is severe retardation and behavioral issues who burned down his parents house last year. Those people do need help but I don't think it should be from social security.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Spoken like a classic boomer. That's not how it works now. Pull your head out of the sand and look around. Blue collar workers starting today have no retirement to look forward to regardless of how hard they work.

Nonsense. What they don't have is someone guaranteeing them a retirement plan that only requires them to cash the checks when they arrive.

59 Dano

Or in FedEx's case pay lower wages in the present then screw'em on the promised retirement in the future. FedEx corrected course in 2003, but should've kept their word on those that worked all those years with a reasonable expectation that the traditional pension would be there for them. That pension wasn't anything close to what UPS drivers get so it really drives home what our corporate leadership thinks of our worth with the suppressed pay and stripped benefits. They're laughing all the way to the bank.

Did FedEx ever promise that they'd never change the pension? I missed it if they did.

59 Dano

Kids are graduation university, having to work 2 or 3 part time jobs because jobs that were available when you were a kid, have been moved overseas.

Most of the jobs moving elsewhere are low- and no-skill jobs that didn't require a college education. Did anyone go to college to do a job that some guy in Taiwan who never learned to read can do?

You saw the greatest period of prosperity in HISTORY.

Thanks to the fact that so much of the world was generations behind us in terms of education and technology.

The sentence you say you don't make it your business to know what your coworkers make, is that really because you don't make it your business or because you simply don't care? In my past dealings with coworkers such as yourself, every time it's the latter.

Both. Why would I care what my peers make? If they made more than me, I'd be mad about it. If I made more than them, they'd get mad. People who meddle in the paychecks of others aren't really the kind of people you want in your organization.

59 Dano

Do you really believe employers would simply contribute that $ to their employees retirement funds?

That's right. We can't expect employers, who contribute voluntarily to employee retirement pension and 401k plans, to contribute to employee retirement plans.

59 Dano

Nothing is that simple. If you eliminate union pensions you eliminate unions. It's a domino effect after that and every pro worker law for the past 100 years is up for grabs after that. People want security and pensions provide that security for union workers.

If you listen quietly, you can hear the laughter of the American Airlines and United Airlines employees whose jobs and pensions were terminated.

bacha29

Whoever takes over in January will inherit a country with the highest level of civil unrest since the 1960's. And continuing to expect people to work for nothing while the pay disparity between white collar and blue collar continues to widen and corporate profits set new records will only exasperate the problem. The GOP's longstanding political platform of trickle down economics will never stand going forward.

vantexan

Did FedEx ever promise that they'd never change the pension? I missed it if they did.
They sent out info every year showing where we stood in our pension and projected what we would get if we stayed with them. Right through 2006 before they announced in early 2007 they were terminating the plan in 2008. You know good and well that had to be in the works for at least a few years, not a spur of the moment idea. Furthermore before announcing in 2007 they had given us a choice between staying in the traditional or going into the new plan. Total scam. Tell me who works towards a goal if they know the prize at the end can be arbitrarily taken away at any time? All those years breaking my back for a bunch of pirates.

59 Dano

They sent out info every year showing where we stood in our pension and projected what we would get if we stayed with them. Right through 2006 before they announced in early 2007 they were terminating the plan in 2008. You know good and well that had to be in the works for at least a few years, not a spur of the moment idea. Furthermore before announcing in 2007 they had given us a choice between staying in the traditional or going into the new plan. Total scam. Tell me who works towards a goal if they know the prize at the end can be arbitrarily taken away at any time? All those years breaking my back for a bunch of pirates.

So I'm guessing that's a "no," right?

BTW, when did you quit? I mean the first time...

vantexan

Most of the jobs moving elsewhere are low- and no-skill jobs that didn't require a college education. Did anyone go to college to do a job that some guy in Taiwan who never learned to read can do?

Thanks to the fact that so much of the world was generations behind us in terms of education and technology.

Both. Why would I care what my peers make? If they made more than me, I'd be mad about it. If I made more than them, they'd get mad. People who meddle in the paychecks of others aren't really the kind of people you want in your organization.
I don't give a rat's ass what you make. I just want to be dealt with fairly and honestly, which are in short supply at FedEx.