Letter writing campaign...

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
I'll take the free 25 minutes and good luck making me write a letter.
Kind of funny that you are willing to take the "free" 25 minutes of overtime pay but unwilling to do what they are asking you to do for it. When you are asked to do this maybe your response should be "I've already contacted my representative."

hudson

25 minutes x 260000 FT employees = 6.5 million minutes = 108,333 hours. Average hourly rate at UPS is probably around $20/hour. This letter writing campaign will cost $2.17 million dollars. Not counting all the PT'ers they will make do it as well, and not counting all the cost to produce all those wonderful videos on UPSers.com.

spending $2.17 million is well worth it considering the market share UPS will gain if this passes.

If you sit down and write that letter you should also mention the Cap and Trade bill that is being shoved down our throats as well. That sucker, if it passes, will hurt UPS and you a lot more. Do you blind mice even know what I am talking about when I say "Cap and Trade?"

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

wow..a new yorker calling me arrogant....up yours

First of all, I am not a native. Upstate NY is nothing like NYC.

Second, your first 4 posts have added nothing of substance to the conversation.

Third, I could give a **** less what you think of me. I have been called worse by better.

Last edited:

over9five

Staff member
And back on topic:

First, I think it's a great idea to write your Senators about this. Fedex is spending a lot of money on this, time to respond!

Second....They're gonna PAY us to do it?!??!? Woohooooo!!!!!

I've already emailed my Senators, and each Senator on the Commerce Committee, but a sup asked me yesterday to come in early today to write, so I'm happy to do it.

This sup also said no-one HAS to do it. But how can you NOT want to do this? The situation is so unfair to our company, it needs to be rectified. And all those Fedex lies on that bailout site make me sooooo mad...

Relax, sit down, and start writing!

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Mink

The stink you got was for what you came off as.

I know it might be hard to believe, but there are some pretty bright minds that drive the brown truck. And yes, we do know about the deadly crap our gooberment is trying to get passed into law.

One interesting side note. As we are into our second year of record colder temps in this area, I think that the passage is almost certain. And that will allow the brave souls that forced this upon us to be able to say "see, because we had the courage to pass the bill, we have contained global warming in our lifetime" That allows them to claim they have cured the problem that really never was.

d

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Received a DIAD message today from our center asking for volunteers to write letters. I assume it's not mandatory.

It's not

One of the reason they want us to write is to get fedex unionized. I heard its supposed to do UPS good because of the rates. The same amount to ship with UPS as fedex.

Bah, I was told to come in at 4:30am tomarrow, but im not writting anything.

Last edited:

cornfed

Voluntary. Yes. I also viewed the supervisor's notes on this issue/assignment, and it said she is to record everyone specifically who refuses to write a letter. Who knows what this type of information could be used for by the unions some day down the road. They are also not letting us seal our own envelopes...they are making copies for the 2 senators' offices and copies for our "file". Wow. Like a little communist regime...but hey, check out our new country dictator....it fits.

The only plus side of all of this is to finally see an admission from company and teamsters alike that being unionized IS A DISADVANTAGE(of course the company knows it already). Because we screwed ourselves/UPS, now we have to fight to have congressmen/women change laws in order of detriment to other companies to "level the playing field". That's the propagandist's way of saying that UPS is on a lower level because of the unions and we need to bring the competition down to our level, which is where WE put ourselves through unionizing btw.

Yay! Now we can doom both companies instead of just our own!

And don't come at me with employee protection and evil corporate meany-heads, etc. etc. Employee protection/rights could have come about in a much smarter manner long ago.

The example given on the sup's sheet is that when we strike or are about to strike, FedEx steals our business by using the selling point that the customer needn't worry about them striking, as it is illegal for them to do....wow....somehow this is FedEx's fault?

We should all learn from GM and their downfall. And not the already re-written history. The real reason GM went under. Remember this folks, with no UPS, there is no ups union!

I will be writing the letter tomorrow, because i fear the reprocussions of not doing so in the near or distant future, but i have already called and spoken to my senators and told them what is going on and that it is not going on without intimidation so many of the letters are meaningless to them and should be. I told them to do the right thing for freedom and capitalism, not dirty unions.

things2auction

I will be writing the letter tomorrow, because i fear the reprocussions of not doing so in the near or distant future, but i have already called and spoken to my senators and told them what is going on and that it is not going on without intimidation so many of the letters are meaningless to them and should be. I told them to do the right thing for freedom and capitalism, not dirty unions.

In my center they definitely didn't make it seem optional. We also only get 15 minutes to write it, so our letters will be slightly shorter. lol. I know a couple of people who plan on sending their own letters stating that they were basically forced into writing a letter.

I can see the reasoning behind this, but I don't necessarily agree with the method of which they are going about it.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Corn fed

Interesting take. Fits right into troll land viewpoints.

BTW, you did know that Jim did invite the unions in at UPS to begin with, right?

And I do find it interesting you think that being at a union company is taking the low road, but yet when you cash your check and spend your money, I dont seem to hear too many complaints.

The ability of FDX to go to the customer and tell them it would be illegal for them to strike is exactly why the field needs to be leveled. Two companies doing the same thing, but one gets breaks that the other cant have.

But then again, you dont see our CEO out there buying up sports teams either.

d

tieguy

Banned
Voluntary. Yes. I also viewed the supervisor's notes on this issue/assignment, and it said she is to record everyone specifically who refuses to write a letter. Who knows what this type of information could be used for by the unions some day down the road. They are also not letting us seal our own envelopes...they are making copies for the 2 senators' offices and copies for our "file". Wow. Like a little communist regime...but hey, check out our new country dictator....it fits.

someones giving you some bad information. write two letters address 4 envelopes. They will make two copies of your letter. One copy of each letter to fill the third and fourth envelopes and save you time writing. The extra copies will go to our public affairs people to hand deliver. So the letter your write will get mailed to each senators home and DC office and be hand delivered to each senator in a nice organized blitz.

FedEx courier

The only plus side of all of this is to finally see an admission from company and teamsters alike that being unionized IS A DISADVANTAGE(of course the company knows it already). Because we screwed ourselves/UPS, now we have to fight to have congressmen/women change laws in order of detriment to other companies to "level the playing field". That's the propagandist's way of saying that UPS is on a lower level because of the unions and we need to bring the competition down to our level, which is where WE put ourselves through unionizing btw.

Yay! Now we can doom both companies instead of just our own!

And don't come at me with employee protection and evil corporate meany-heads, etc. etc. Employee protection/rights could have come about in a much smarter manner long ago.

The example given on the sup's sheet is that when we strike or are about to strike, FedEx steals our business by using the selling point that the customer needn't worry about them striking, as it is illegal for them to do....wow....somehow this is FedEx's fault?

We should all learn from GM and their downfall. And not the already re-written history. The real reason GM went under. Remember this folks, with no UPS, there is no ups union!

I hated to waste space quoting this statement but does anyone else see anything wrong with the information given here? My guess is this is from a FedEx p.r. person attempting to pose as a UPS employee to try and stir up more propaganda and disinformation, an example of this happening can be found here http://www.fedexcess.info/2009/06/29/whos-afraid-of-the-big-bob-wolfe/. This reads like something straight out of brownbailout.com only this person has decided to make everyone the enemy this time. I suppose it's also only a coinkeedink that "cornfed" has only posted one time and it was the post I have quoted. It seems like if a UPS employee was this dissatisfied with the company and the Union then they would have been posting on this site for a long time, not just about the FedEx issue?

yeah...we have some real bright minds at our center. this morning at our pcm I mentioned that we should also tell our senators that we are concerned about the Cap and Trade bill as well and the whole building went silent. I immediately knew why...I asked for a show of hands from everyone who knew what I was talking about...lol...1 hand went up..

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

yeah...we have some real bright minds at our center. this morning at our pcm I mentioned that we should also tell our senators that we are concerned about the Cap and Trade bill as well and the whole building went silent. I immediately knew why...I asked for a show of hands from everyone who knew what I was talking about...lol...1 hand went up..

Just curious, was there a single digit extended?

right now ups has it's head so far up jimmy's a** the can see jimmy sr.

That's Mr. Hoffa to you.

You are a dose of sunshine, aren't you?