Local supplements 2023-2028

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I attend every e-board meeting since stepping down in 2013. Each time I or any other member attempts to talk wages and benefits, one of the trustees calls out for an adjournment followed by a second from another member and we are reminded that all financial questions can be addressed on a one on one basis or by written request. I request monthly statements and publish them for the general membership to view. Tonight's meeting we will ask if it's appropriate for the board to give themselves 2x raises over ours without the meeting being shut down. I have no ax to grind, just feel the membership is deserving of transparency. When I served, we were allowed to vote our conscious, since 2018ish the e-board has voted 7-0 on all important issues.
They must love seeing you.

Thebrownblob

They must love seeing you.
People that don’t understand, when to bring up subjects are annoying, and create meetings that are useless. I feel sorry for the members who go there tonight to try and learn something or ask questions because it will just become a worthless meeting.

Last edited:

Up In Smoke

So again, what do you plan to accomplish? You’re well aware of what recourse needs to happen if you feel they are being inappropriate. Grandstanding during a contract review meeting is pointless, especially when they don’t control the wages in the UPS contract. I’m certain you’re well aware of the bylaws.
I'm connected through emails to most everyone of our 4500 active members and they ask where their dues are going. I will only breach the wages and benefits after the general meeting has nearly concluded.

Thebrownblob

My main concern is that are we listening to leadership with an agenda or not. It's really difficult to email the LM2s, our last one in March was 121 pages long.
So you’ve deemed yourself the only appropriate one to decide the agenda? gotcha. I guess all 4000 members are not as smart as you give me a break dude, know your role. You’re doing it because you want to grandstand most likely plan on running for office or backing another ticket. It’s not the appropriate place and that’s that if you’re that committed to stand out in front of your barn and pass out information.

Up In Smoke

So you’ve deemed yourself the only appropriate one to decide the agenda? gotcha. I guess all 4000 members are not as smart as you give me a break dude, know your role. You’re doing it because you want to grandstand most likely plan on running for office or backing another ticket. It’s not the appropriate place and that’s that if you’re that committed to stand out in front of your barn and pass out information.
I'm retiring in February and want only the best for our membership going forward.

Thebrownblob

I'm retiring in February and want only the best for our membership going forward.
Listen, I don’t know you that well and I’m sure you’re a nice guy, but you also seem like the kind of guy who looks in the mirror and thinks he’s God’s gift to everything especially when it comes to money. When you stepped away from a leadership role on the executive board, you chose your personal business over the members. I don’t fault you for that but I if I was in your local, I wouldn’t trust you any further than I can throw you because you were not willing to put your skin in the game. You took care of your own skin.

Up In Smoke

Listen, I don’t know you that well and I’m sure you’re a nice guy, but you also seem like the kind of guy who looks in the mirror and thinks he’s God’s gift to everything especially when it comes to money. When you stepped away from a leadership role on the executive board, you chose your personal business over the members. I don’t fault you for that but I if I was in your local, I wouldn’t trust you any further than I can throw you because you were not willing to put your skin in the game. You took care of your own skin.
You are correct, I took care of my own skin. My oldest was playing D1 soccer and our business was taking off and there are only so many hours in a day. I gave up my compensated steward role for a support role as a steward alternate from 2013-2020 also. I was asked to take a forward role again in 2020 and excepted, but without compensation. I've been fortunate and I'm always looking to mentor when approached and asked to do so.

Thebrownblob

You are correct, I took care of my own skin. My oldest was playing D1 soccer and our business was taking off and there are only so many hours in a day. I gave up my compensated steward role for a support role as a steward alternate from 2013-2020 also. I was asked to take a forward role again in 2020 and excepted, but without compensation. I've been fortunate and I'm always looking to mentor when approached and asked to do so.
Good for you and that was your choice. No one’s asking you to do anything you’ve taken it upon yourself to be a savior no one was looking for.

Up In Smoke

I'm in a 4000 member Local and my BA makes what yours does and I have not one single problem with it.
My only issue is that they are pushing this contract with an 18% raise in it while voting themselves 30% plus raises from our dues. Good for thee, but not for me.

542thruNthru

In preparation of our contract explanation meeting tonight, I've run copies of our Local's LM2s to track the wage increases for our E-board and Business Agents. What I've discovered is our BAs received nearly 28% base salary increases and the board 32% over the course of our past contract. I've also discovered payouts of unused vacation and optional days to the tune of 20 days per employee per year and vehicle allowances for non agent employees. They want us to vote for an 18% compensation contract while they vote themselves 2x raises that we fund. The two conducting the meeting were in DC and are pushing extremely hard for a yes vote through emails and text messages. I've come to find out they received $22,000 each from the IBT to be on the contract committee and could lose those positions if a yes vote is not delivered. Beware of the messenger and not the message.
Don't you the members vote on their raises? I know that's how it's done here.

Up In Smoke

Don't you the members vote on their raises? I know that's how it's done here.
No, the e-board votes on their own package and it's included in the minutes of the monthly meetings. They typically do all the Union's business the 2nd Tuesday of each month at the hall during the day and it's read out loud on the following Saturday and Sunday's general membership meeting. Objections are typically shut down because of quorum rules. Copies of the union business are available upon written request. I generally have to wait a month or so to obtain the minutes.

542thruNthru

Personally I have no problem him bringing up why they should be happy with a 18% increase while comparing the eboards. Personally I believe it's apples and oranges but it's a legitimate questions.

The thing that makes me laugh is anyone that really believes it's as easy as saying "I don't endorse this contract" when it comes to these things. Does your e board work for the members yes but anyone that thinks it's as easy as that is delusional. Go against the leadership and you will find out very quickly what your real job is.... to stay in office.

That goes double these days. It used to be one group you had to look out for now they've joined forces and one is their leadership.

Up In Smoke

The part-timers got a nice raise especially the older ones
That's true, but we are one of the majority of locals that are seeing our benefit compensation reduce by the $.50 per hour per employee each year of the contract. The promise was no divisive language in this contract. (ei. 22.4 multi-tier) By giving dollars to single employer controlled funds that are in danger and excluding the mult-employer funds, the company is looking to divide us against ourselves.

542thruNthru

No, the e-board votes on their own package and it's included in the minutes of the monthly meetings. They typically do all the Union's business the 2nd Tuesday of each month at the hall during the day and it's read out loud on the following Saturday and Sunday's general membership meeting. Objections are typically shut down because of quorum rules. Copies of the union business are available upon written request. I generally have to wait a month or so to obtain the minutes.
Wow, different than us. Any raise must be voted on by the membership at the GM Meeting.