thaliloldsup

NE Division
Back again,

I have yet to see this covered in the forums, and I've been itching to ask it.
I know UPS hires seasonal driver helpers off the street, but can a current PH opt to be a driver helper during the peak season?

Or do they only offer it to off the street hires so they don't have to train and hire seasonal PH's?

I hear that driver helpers get full time hours during peak, and make a little more than PH's for the time being, so I figured it would be right up my alley.

Thanks in advance for the responses!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They give preference to inside workers first before going to off the street helpers; however, keep in mind that your inside hours will be higher than normal so your available hours to be a helper may be limited.

I prefer to use current employees whenever possible.

thaliloldsup

NE Division
They give preference to inside workers first before going to off the street helpers; however, keep in mind that your inside hours will be higher than normal so your available hours to be a helper may be limited.

I prefer to use current employees whenever possible.

So I'd have to come back & also work local sort at night time after I'm done being a helper?

thaliloldsup

NE Division
Well, my hub has just over 110 cars that leave in the morning.. I'm sure there's some that come back sometime in the afternoon/early evening and can go back out without a helper.
I hear that we the earliest we start during peak is 3:30/4:00.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Well, my hub has just over 110 cars that leave in the morning.. I'm sure there's some that come back sometime in the afternoon/early evening and can go back out without a helper.
I hear that we the earliest we start during peak is 3:30/4:00.

The way that it usually works is you would meet the driver on road, work with him/her until you have to leave at which time he/she would bring you back to your car.

So! At my hub....sometimes they would call the night before with the assignment. If you cant do a shift...you may not get a call for a couple days. It drove me nuts when they didnt call the night before...but would kindly call WHILE I'M LOADING TRUCKS IN A BUILDING THAT WE CANT BRING OUR PHONES INTO!!It was a total crapshoot if they answered after 930am with any more routes that needed helpers. But to answer your question....if you are in the building doing preload...you have to have been at work in order to receive an assignment.You cant call off from preloading...but be available to be driver helper for that day.

I'm hoping to do helper. If they'd let me. I'll be almost at the bottom of seniority, but this would be my 4th time doing it. Some guy with higher seniority will freak out and grieve it every day if they let me out. Small center they'd lose their minds. It really is fun, I had a great time last season, it would be super fun to do it again.

When I first started seasonal it was annoying working odd hours the first two weeks until settling into it with the driver. Even then, they'd sometime cut us loose but usually my drivers would fight to keep me. It's fun when you reach the "ready to roll let's do it again" groove.