HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
No problem.
You'll be pleased to know my post, in another thread, got deleted because I corrected a management person's incorrect use of the word "steel".

Must have been a personal attack...

No problem, @UpstateNYUPSer is pissed you corrected me before he could

giphy.gif

Indecisi0n

I think it's really a shame how preload supervisors do not care AT ALL about what happens to the driver after dispatch so long as their own production numbers are hitting the mark. Ive worked on the preload a very long time and have noticed a steady decrease in the standards that the people loading package cars are held to. I am often asked to go help other loaders wrap their pulls and am always amazed at how horribly and carelessly their cars are loaded. I wonder if they dont understand the way the sequencing works(dont load a 2000 under an 8000) or if they just decided doing it the right way is too much work. Either way it should be unacceptable. I think that the loaders dont care because they know their managers care even less. As long as it gets on the right truck and out the door they are satisfied...the driver can deal with the mess. There are never any load-quality audits performed anymore....EVER. And just once at a PCM id like to hear a sup say something like "lets really focus on getting these cars loaded in good order, these drivers work hard enough without having to re-sort their entire truck, thats your job." The fact is, they never say that because they dont care. My preload puts out a really crappy product, REALLY crappy! I'm ashamed to be a part of it.. But as long as the numbers look good the preload sups think everything is just fine. Reality doesnt matter, just the numbers. Thats why I always tell the new loaders to approach it as if they work for the drivers, not the supervisors. Its not all the sups fault though. I guess they cant train somebody to take pride in their work if they dont already. I guess these days its hard enough just getting people who will show up every day and keep up with the pace.
Its a problem that really should be addressed.
My loader is horrible. I rub my crack on the rear shelf handles in hopes he grabs them in the morning while loading.

Over disciplined0123

I was gonna ask if you’re new, but you say you’ve been on preload a long time. So my next question is, what kinda drugs do you use? It’s been like this for over five years now. As a matter of fact, not only does preload not care. NOBODY cares anymore. UPS is a machine, and they make a lot of money. And they pay me a lot of money. Story over.
Once you think about it do you think we make enough for sacrificing our body’s and joints and bone . Or for having to sacrifice family time ,also having numbers to match NO!

Dr.Brownz

I think it's really a shame how preload supervisors do not care AT ALL about what happens to the driver after dispatch so long as their own production numbers are hitting the mark. Ive worked on the preload a very long time and have noticed a steady decrease in the standards that the people loading package cars are held to. I am often asked to go help other loaders wrap their pulls and am always amazed at how horribly and carelessly their cars are loaded. I wonder if they dont understand the way the sequencing works(dont load a 2000 under an 8000) or if they just decided doing it the right way is too much work. Either way it should be unacceptable. I think that the loaders dont care because they know their managers care even less. As long as it gets on the right truck and out the door they are satisfied...the driver can deal with the mess. There are never any load-quality audits performed anymore....EVER. And just once at a PCM id like to hear a sup say something like "lets really focus on getting these cars loaded in good order, these drivers work hard enough without having to re-sort their entire truck, thats your job." The fact is, they never say that because they dont care. My preload puts out a really crappy product, REALLY crappy! I'm ashamed to be a part of it.. But as long as the numbers look good the preload sups think everything is just fine. Reality doesnt matter, just the numbers. Thats why I always tell the new loaders to approach it as if they work for the drivers, not the supervisors. Its not all the sups fault though. I guess they cant train somebody to take pride in their work if they dont already. I guess these days its hard enough just getting people who will show up every day and keep up with the pace.
Its a problem that really should be addressed.

Only way to fix it is for "load quality" to cause service failures of some type. Something that will go on a report that a higher than center manager level person will read needs to happen for anything to change.

Dr.Brownz

Once you think about it do you think we make enough for sacrificing our body’s and joints and bone . Or for having to sacrifice family time ,also having numbers to match NO!

Slow down and work at a pace that doesn't cause you pain. When I was a new driver I would walk up steep driveways so fast I was getting winded and becoming exhausted. Now I walk at a comfortable pace and never work hard because when you work hard you become fatigued and when you are fatigued you have a higher chance of injury.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
I would kill for any kind of driver-dispatch document that establishes key facts and information about a route and how pieces are pulled from the car as the day progresses, even after a regular preloader leaves that assignment. I know! I will call it an alpha chart!

PT Car Washer

Preloader in 1982 was paid $9/hr. Preloader in 2017 is paid $10.30/hr. No extra $1/hr for preload in my building because we have PAS and is no longer considered a skilled position.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I was gonna ask if you’re new, but you say you’ve been on preload a long time. So my next question is, what kinda drugs do you use? It’s been like this for over five years now. As a matter of fact, not only does preload not care. NOBODY cares anymore. UPS is a machine, and they make a lot of money. And they pay me a lot of money. Story over.
Wally cares!

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
No problem.
You'll be pleased to know my post, in another thread, got deleted because I corrected a management person's incorrect use of the word "steel".

Must have been a personal attack...
Steel? Couldn't "iron" out your differences?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Preloader in 1982 was paid $9/hr. Preloader in 2017 is paid $10.30/hr. No extra $1/hr for preload in my building because we have PAS and is no longer considered a skilled position.
Why are there different rules for preload pay rate in the south? Weak union, supplement language, what is it? I'm curious.

I get that pre-PAS and post-PAS are different animals, the job was de-skilled. But preloaders make the $1 here.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Preload couldn't care less that they screwed Delivery.
Delivery couldn't care less that they screwed the Hub.
The Hub couldn't care less that they screwed Feeders.
Feeders couldn't care less that they screwed the Preload.

"Could care less" is generally used sarcastically, so only people who are overly concerned about literal meaning versus figures of speech actually could care less.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have a veteran loader and we're all giving him $20 a piece tomorrow.

Think about that for a second:

You are a FT driver making upward of $35/hr yet you feel that 30 minutes of your hourly pay is an adequate tip for a PTer who is lucky to earn half of what you do.

$20 works out to about $.38 per week.

$20 is not nearly enough and, to be blunt, if I were your loader, I would be insulted.

I give my regular loader $100, my Peak loader and helper $25 each.

Future

Victory Ride

You are a FT driver making upward of $35/hr yet you feel that 30 minutes of your hourly pay is an adequate tip for a PTer who is lucky to earn half of what you do.

$20 is not nearly enough and, to be blunt, if I were your loader, I would be insulted.

Gave my loader 100 also.... I slide him a 20 here and there ....during the year also .... kid works his ass off...and does a good job

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I am here for the pension and benefits. Either of those goes away, and I find something else.

The Driver

I drive.

I make $25 an hour. Some people are still in progression, Dave. Plus there are 6 people on my line that are giving $20.

I don’t give my helper anything because I’ve had three different ones and they don’t show up on Fridays when I would buy them lunch.

I don’t owe anybody anything. Nobody should be insulted. I’ll vote no on the contract if they don’t get a raise. How are you voting? To give the company more so they continue screwing the PTers?

The Driver

I drive.
You and your 5 buddies should all be ashamed of yourselves.

$50 * 6 = $300. IMO that would be a more appropriate show of appreciation.

Cheap bastards.

I feel good about giving my hard earned money to someone else. And hard earned is what it’s been this year. Not all of us are off by 1815 and jerking off in his condo by 1900.