Promotion Possibility? (New Hire)

UPSER061

Hey guys. So I'm a new peak season hire (Dec '16). I took the position of a package handler just to have some extra income until I graduate in May. However, I did NOT expect to love the job so much or think I would even be good at it since I am a female.

I'm about 2 months in and my PT sup has complimented me multiple times on my work ethic, told me she would not be terminating me like she would be for some of the other peak season hires, and even recommended me to our FT sup for when other sections are understaffed (I currently work in smalls)

So my question is, would promotion be a possibility before I hit 6 months and graduate in May?

I was told by a PT sup (works in another building but came to our building for peak to help out) that our building is in desperate need of PT sups and they would be silly not to ask me after 6 months. But I really want the promotion before 6 months so I don't have to look for jobs elsewhere.

It sucks that I will hit 6 months after my graduation date and will have to wait until then for a promotion or look for other jobs.

bumped

What makes you think becoming a part time supervisor is a promotion? If you want to be a full time supervisor then put your time in until full time driving and then put your letter in for supervisor. This way it allows to th know what the job somewhat entails.

CanOSup

One of them
Hey guys. So I'm a new peak season hire (Dec '16). I took the position of a package handler just to have some extra income until I graduate in May. However, I did NOT expect to love the job so much or think I would even be good at it since I am a female.

I'm about 2 months in and my PT sup has complimented me multiple times on my work ethic, told me she would not be terminating me like she would be for some of the other peak season hires, and even recommended me to our FT sup for when other sections are understaffed (I currently work in smalls)

So my question is, would promotion be a possibility before I hit 6 months and graduate in May?

I was told by a PT sup (works in another building but came to our building for peak to help out) that our building is in desperate need of PT sups and they would be silly not to ask me after 6 months. But I really want the promotion before 6 months so I don't have to look for jobs elsewhere.

It sucks that I will hit 6 months after my graduation date and will have to wait until then for a promotion or look for other jobs.
There is no waiting period to being hired as a PT supervisor. Everyone on here will tell you to avoid it like the plague, and honestly you should not take career advice on an online forum. It all depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking at a career at UPS you can go either way as despite what everyone on here will say being a FT Supervisor is a very good career, both as a Resume builder and decent salary coming right out of college. The Best way to get into FT management is working directly with the center management team as a management member. Staying Union is another great opportunity as it is another great career with great pay and benefits. It will take longer to establish yourself coming out of college and will likely have to hold multiple jobs until you progress through the seniority / Bidding/ Pay progression. Both have Pro's and Con's. Think on it for yourself, definitely don't make the decision based on what this Forum gives you for an answer.

PT Car Washer

Ask yourself why your building is in desperate need of PT sups. If you really love your job, stay where you are for awhile and after graduation make some permanent decisions.

jaker

trolling
Ask yourself why your building is in desperate need of PT sups. If you really love your job, stay where you are for awhile and after graduation make some permanent decisions.
And in any job when do they ask a 6 month employee to become a supervisor

I just don't understand why people can't put that together, what's even funny is I have been with us for 18 years and they was doing that back then

And what's even funnier is all the guys I knew as sups either went driving when they could or quit/fired

CanOSup

One of them
I
And in any job when do they ask a 6 month employee to become a supervisor

I just don't understand why people can't put that together, what's even funny is I have been with us for 18 years and they was doing that back then

And what's even funnier is all the guys I knew as sups either went driving when they could or quit/fired
working for 6 months or 10 years makes little difference in supervision. You would have higher skillsets in bargaining unit work which would be a benefit in training new employees but if someone is identified as having potential and in this case about to graduate, that is a worthwhile investment.

dudebro

UPS can be a good a career as any other. It depends on what you want out of your career and what type of work you like to do.

If you're the type that simply wants to do a honest day's work and go home, and leave work at work, the hourly career path is good.

This forum seems to be a majority of PT hourlies who became FT drivers. That's a good career path but not the only career path at UPS.

If you think you're suited for management, you can go to PT supervision and from there go into operations management (most common), but also HR, security, business development, engineering, etc.

My advice to you is to take on new responsibilities and keep growing whenever you get the opportunity. There's no magic to "6 months", you can be promoted sooner than that, or later.

trickpony1

If the OP just happens to be a minority and gay and, at some point, degreed (really doesn't matter what in), the company will fall all over themselves promoting her.

Two Tokes

Give it to me Baby

Stay an Hourly

35years

Gravy route
If the OP just happens to be a minority and gay and, at some point, degreed (really doesn't matter what in), the company will fall all over themselves promoting her.
If she is a minority, or gay, and has a degree in 6 months I would tell her to skip the part time gig and apply for only a full time position. Hey, even white guys with no degree can get a PT sup gig.

UPSER061

If she is a minority, or gay, and has a degree in 6 months I would tell her to skip the part time gig and apply for only a full time position. Hey, even white guys with no degree can get a PT sup gig.
I am a minority. Not gay though. You guys seem to have a lot of jokes so I'm not sure if you're being serious or not haha. But anyways the majority seem to be giving me positive info so hopefully a FT position is in my future :happy2: