Promotion Possibility? (New Hire)

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

I am a minority. Not gay though. You guys seem to have a lot of jokes so I'm not sure if you're being serious or not haha. But anyways the majority seem to be giving me positive info so hopefully a FT position is in my future :happy2:
Not unless you officially give a letter looking for management positions. Leaving it up to your supervisor will do nothing

*Jersey*

I am a minority. Not gay though. You guys seem to have a lot of jokes so I'm not sure if you're being serious or not haha. But anyways the majority seem to be giving me positive info so hopefully a FT position is in my future :happy2:
I think you should go for it if you truly want to. There's pros and cons to everything in life but you have to trust your gut. I desire to go into management myself because I don't see myself unloading for years and don't want to drive. I listen to the feedback but I am not put off by the negative view on supervising.

Dr.Brownz

Hey guys. So I'm a new peak season hire (Dec '16). I took the position of a package handler just to have some extra income until I graduate in May. However, I did NOT expect to love the job so much or think I would even be good at it since I am a female.

I'm about 2 months in and my PT sup has complimented me multiple times on my work ethic, told me she would not be terminating me like she would be for some of the other peak season hires, and even recommended me to our FT sup for when other sections are understaffed (I currently work in smalls)

So my question is, would promotion be a possibility before I hit 6 months and graduate in May?

I was told by a PT sup (works in another building but came to our building for peak to help out) that our building is in desperate need of PT sups and they would be silly not to ask me after 6 months. But I really want the promotion before 6 months so I don't have to look for jobs elsewhere.

It sucks that I will hit 6 months after my graduation date and will have to wait until then for a promotion or look for other jobs.

Prepare to be stuck at the worst job at UPS. PT sups are salaried, allegedly for 5 hours a day or something but you will end up working way more. You will be blamed by higher ups for UPS's infrastructure and staffing failures.

Not only that they can fire you for any reason they want (management is not union), you will be their dog and on top of that you will have to pay for your own health insurance. All the PT sups out there try to recruit more PT sups because they think you will be their replacement and then they can move up (or so they think lol)

DON"T DO IT. STAY UNION

Dr.Brownz

Haven't you heard? Hispanics are now considered white people for the purpose of statistics because they are too successful and go against the "america so racist, they hate brown people" narrative that the statisticians want to produce.

Anyway stay Union. You have protections from the company as union. In management as a PT or FT sup you are there slave. They could tell you "we need you in Kansas City for the next two weeks" or "Drive an hour and a half everyday to the next nearest center cause they need help for all of peak season" and they will expect you go there and do it. They will pay for the flight if it's long distance, but I've heard many stories of management being expected to work at every center in the state (and neighboring states too)

DON"T DO IT STAY UNION.

Used to have a On Car supervisor who was a FT driver for ten years and he said he regretted making the change. He said the only difference is he now works more for less pay and see's his family less.

Dr.Brownz

Also think about this OP.

UPS can offer you any salary they want when they negotiate your contract. There is no guarantee you will be paid the same as other starting supervisors unlike how you would receive pay equal to your union brothers and sisters if you stayed as a union worker.

DON"T GO MANAGEMENT

No one has even touched on the shady things you might be asked to do as management. Doing the wrong thing just because your boss told you too.

UPSER061

Also, my question was about my chances of being promoted before 6 months. You guys have completely went off topic (not complaining, I like knowing the added info) but I will clear this up; I will NOT be staying with ups as a package handler after I graduate. Union or not, it doesn't matter. If I am not promoted by the end of April I will be looking for jobs in my degree field (HR)

I would definitely prefer to stay with ups since I do love my coworkers and supervisors. That is why I'm asking. At this point in time my position is what I'm concerned about (resume builder) so if there's no promotion I will be leaving in May.

P.S: I know there are positions in HR at ups as well but I honestly love the fast pace on the floor and can't see myself sitting in an office all day.