Rail strike

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
Screenshot_20220915-194454.png

Shorts365

so you keep saying .
So you're saying they had schedules then and now every conductor waits for a phone call to find out when they're working?
in a union shop ?
keep digging
Um, that's actually what's going on and what they're so unhappy about.

newfie

Brand new air conditioned empty facilities. What recession?
you're in such a hurry to spin propaganda here for Biden that you're not even reading what you responded to. again in response to the news on fdx i said the following:

I'm waiting to see what happens to Amazon. They practically have a warehouse in every neighborhood.
thats not sustainable in a full blown recession.

newfie

Some of the warehouses they was planning on open up here they have suspended working on them for at least another year
I'm retired and i dont have a dog in this hunt anymore. what you kids do in the future of ups is up to you. with that said the 97 strike encouraged competitors to get into the ground package delivery game that either would not have gotten in or would not have gotten in so quickly.

what happens if the recession gets worse or you guys walk next year with Amazon looking at a slowing economy and needing more volume to stay a viable business? A big part of the ups business model is not only delivering packages for companies but warehousing those packages. Amazon just took the first step when they offered a new warehouse service to their third party sellers.

I'm retired and i dont have a dog in this hunt anymore. what you kids do in the future of ups is up to you. with that said the 97 strike encouraged competitors to get into the ground package delivery game that either would not have gotten in or would not have gotten in so quickly.

what happens if the recession gets worse or you guys walk next year with Amazon looking at a slowing economy and needing more volume to stay a viable business? A big part of the ups business model is not only delivering packages for companies but warehousing those packages. Amazon just took the first step when they offered a new warehouse service to their third party sellers.
Amazon is having a hard enough time staffing their operations now. Could you imagine if they had to take on extra work?

What happens next contract has very little consequences to me because I'm also getting close to the end of my career.

For these younger guys I really hope there is no strike because they probably will not have a job to come back to

newfie

Amazon is having a hard enough time staffing their operations now. Could you imagine if they had to take on extra work?
we thought the same in 97 and we were right that our competition couldnt handle that volume then they choked on it.
But it gave them the opportunity to build up to take more. 90 percent of our customers then were single carrier ups only.
after the strike many businesses started using multiple carriers with the idea they could no longer put all their eggs in one basket.
our competitors sales pitch was sign with us now or we wont be able to take your packages if UPS goes on strike again.
the 97 strike was a win for labor and maybe they needed one. But if the market was still single carrier there would be a lot more union jobs now.

we thought the same in 97 and we were right that our competition couldnt handle that volume then they choked on it.
But it gave them the opportunity to build up to take more. 90 percent of our customers then were single carrier ups only.
after the strike many businesses started using multiple carriers with the idea they could no longer put all their eggs in one basket.
our competitors sales pitch was sign with us now or we wont be able to take your packages if UPS goes on strike again.
the 97 strike was a win for labor and maybe they needed one. But if the market was still single carrier there would be a lot more union jobs now.
I also believe the company will do everything reasonable to avoid a strike.

A 1997 UPS was a private company, now it's a public company and we all work for the shareholders.

Haven't forbid if there was a strike in it crushed the stock price

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier

A 1997 UPS was a private company, now it's a public company and we all work for the shareholders.

What if UPS offers vast improvements in our starting wage, improvements in everybody’s pension, more full time positions, eliminating the 22.4 or give them the same wages and rights as a RPCD from the start.

Most of us are expecting them to play hardball.. it could be a stroke of genius if the Company settled early giving the O’Brien administration everything they wanted and more. Think of the publicity and good press..it will force the other Unions to match their standards and provide an incentive for organizing Amazon and FedEx.

With FedEx having troubles we could cut into their accounts and the Teamsters can start organizing Amazon and increase our membership and power. The Company can improve their reputation and point to their benevolent by setting early and all the shareholders will be:

:bigsmile2:

What if UPS offers vast improvements in our starting wage, improvements in everybody’s pension, more full time positions, eliminating the 22.4 or give them the same wages and rights as a RPCD from the start.

Most of us are expecting them to play hardball.. it could be a stroke of genius if the Company settled early giving the O’Brien administration everything they wanted and more. Think of the publicity and good press..it will force the other Unions to match their standards and provide an incentive for organizing Amazon and FedEx.

With FedEx having troubles we could cut into their accounts and the Teamsters can start organizing Amazon and increase our membership and power. The Company can improve their reputation and point to their benevolent by setting early and all the shareholders will be:

:bigsmile2:
And if I could pick the six correct numbers I could also hit the Powerball

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

1997 was a different dynamic.

The company was so arrogant.... they never thought the members would have the guts to strike.

Even Ron Carey was sweating bullets. Can you imagine what the working conditions would be like now ?