Surepost and the next contract

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Nearly every guy in my hub has visions of becoming a driver. Hell many of them are college students no less. Maybe the guys in yalls buildings are weak I guess. Only a fool would try to make a career out of pt ups hub work.

Not everybody works in a 'hub.' Better learn the terminology before you open your mouth.

Back to the original post though. I think surepost has its uses only if the packages in question really are in rural distant areas. Ive seen some that were in town and easily deliverable. Really doesnt make a lot of sense sometimes

For just about my entire 34 years, I ran distant, rural areas. I had no problems at all delivering what was on my truck.

Time to yell upstairs and ask mommy to make you a pop tart.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
You sound like this is a good thing, why would you want somebody outside the company with no training or understanding on anything to come be a driver. Further what kind of loser part timers work there that they dont want to become ft driver, the whole point of working here is to become ft
I have no opinion on whether its good or bad. It's just what it is.

And not everybody does the job to go FT. Lots of college students are PT and just need some beer money

Coldworld

60 months and counting
We put up a permanent FT bid a few weeks ago. Not one signature. Looks like an off the street seasonal is going to get lucky this year.
How many runs do you guys have out of your building???
There was new training in the DIAD about Surepost last week or the week before. Seems like the union has started to put it foot down and is starting to make UPS play by the rules...
i wonder what suddenly happen...does anyone know why now the union is starting to ask questions... Not like this sp is something new

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Are you for real... If you delivered to Post Office you'd have a different look at it...

Your truck being full means nothing... It would be full either way everyday... If less volume was going to the post office more routes would have to be put on thus they would have to hire more FT drivers. If you haven't notice they aren't, they cut cut cut....
Everybody is bitching about how much Amazon is on the cars.. The reason is because everything else is going sure post including some Amazon.. Commercial routes might not see that much but get on a resi route and it's very obvious... Then deliver to the post office and have a heart attack...when they are delivering a masher full of pkgs to the post office in large cities something is wrong!!

AKCoverMan

Our Surepost packages are delivered to a PO in another state, so their is no opportunity for us to redirect proximity or overweight oversize peices.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Nearly every guy in my hub has visions of becoming a driver. Hell many of them are college students no less. Maybe the guys in yalls buildings are weak I guess. Only a fool would try to make a career out of pt ups hub work.
We hired 10 off the street drivers last summer. There were 15 openings. Only 2 people from part time ranks wanted to drive. Out of probably 70-80.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
We hired 10 off the street drivers last summer. There were 15 openings. Only 2 people from part time ranks wanted to drive. Out of probably 70-80.
And I think that one reason the union hasn't worried too much about sure post is because ups has done a ton of hiring the last couple of years...if they had a hiring freeze I would bet sure post would be a battle cry for the union..

Last edited:

onewithedd

Now my feeling on Surepost is the only packages that should be delivered to the USPS should be packages that are addressed to P.O. Box numbers ONLY. I'm not sure how it all works but I assume we only pay the the USPS based on a delivery scan. If we're paying the post office for every package wether they deliver it or we do, then that's just stupid!! But then again we are talking about UPS.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Now my feeling on Surepost is the only packages that should be delivered to the USPS should be packages that are addressed to P.O. Box numbers ONLY. I'm not sure how it all works but I assume we only pay the the USPS based on a delivery scan. If we're paying the post office for every package wether they deliver it or we do, then that's just stupid!! But then again we are talking about UPS.

Ironically we are not allowed to deliver packages addressed directly to a P.O. Box.

The revenue on Surepost packages is split based in a negotiated formula.

UPSGUY72

correct the post office only gets paid when they actually scan and deliver a package...