The Airport Identifier Game

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Many of you already know this, so please bear with me as I explain to those who might not be aware. The "game" is that FedEx does everything possible to give the appearance of being an "airline", when it is, in fact, NOT an airline. FedEx is a systems integrator, with an aircraft component, just like UPS. The entire purpose of this charade is to preserve the RLA, the anti-union Kryptonite that basically makes unionization impossible at Express. Keeping you underpaid with lousy benefits saves FedEx hundreds of millions of dollars a year. Pilots and executives are lavishly compensated, and you get the :censored2: sandwich of forever top-out times, high insurance deductibles, and overall lousy treatment. Be aware that a topped-out UPS package car or feeder driver is at around $40 per hour, with excellent benefits and an actual PENSION. A career UPS driver is looking at about $5-6K per month in retirement pay. Don't believe me? Ask a UPS Teamster.

Here's how it goes. Airlines have stations, like LAX is a station for United Airlines or PHX is a station for Southwest. The vast majority of FedEx "stations" are simply terminals, or like UPS, "centers". But FedEx always gives a location a station identifier so they can make believe workers are employees of an airline, preserving the RLA. Many moons ago, when I first started at Express, my station was 40 miles from the airport where we actually got our freight via CTV. They used the airport identifier for an airport 15 miles away, which was a general aviation field with zero cargo. Later I transferred and the "station" used the airport identifier for a seaplane base 10 miles away, again with no cargo component whatsoever.

This is nothing new. Since it's inception, the old Federal Express had this all planned out. Early on, many "stations" actually saw an aircraft, but those days are long gone. The vast majority of FedEx employees never see an aircraft except in pictures or videos. They get their freight by TRUCK, and are simply a terminal, center, or sort facility. Aircraft might line haul part of their freight, but all of it arrives via truck, and a lot of it never sees an airplane. This is particularly true for the East Coast, where shorter distances allow a huge trucking component.

Towards the end of my sentence at Express, my "station" used the identifier of a long defunct general aviation airport, which was now a huge housing subdivision. Such a joke, but the game continues, and given the fact that Ground and Express are now a hybrid operation, the joke is getting really old. Management goes to great lengths to keep up the act, but doing little things like making the logo standardized and deleting the "Express"or "Ground" sub-lettering on vehicles tips their hand. It's one big integrated operation, and to pretend otherwise is not only dishonest, but illegal in terms of labor law purposes.

This is the main reason you have crappy airline benefits that are almost always worthless. To the best of my knowledge, real airlines still get a huge discount when they move freight via Express. In return, you get a discounted fare based on the highest possible rate, and do not have the "show ID and go" option that real airline employees have. The real payoff is for Memphis, because Raj can point to your crummy interline deal and say " See, we are an airline". All calculated to ensure it really isn't much of a benefit and that only a handful of employees will actually use interline.

It's time to call BS on FedEx and get unionized. New Teamster leadership is aggressive and interested in gaining membership, a quantum leap from the pathetic Hoffa era. Take advantage of having a Democratic majority and President and make a move now. Don't wait until the RTW anti-union GOP gets back in the driver's seat.

You are being played for suckers. Stop being dumb and playing Fred's almost 50 year-old game.

falcon back

Many of you already know this, so please bear with me as I explain to those who might not be aware. The "game" is that FedEx does everything possible to give the appearance of being an "airline", when it is, in fact, NOT an airline. FedEx is a systems integrator, with an aircraft component, just like UPS. The entire purpose of this charade is to preserve the RLA, the anti-union Kryptonite that basically makes unionization impossible at Express. Keeping you underpaid with lousy benefits saves FedEx hundreds of millions of dollars a year. Pilots and executives are lavishly compensated, and you get the :censored2: sandwich of forever top-out times, high insurance deductibles, and overall lousy treatment. Be aware that a topped-out UPS package car or feeder driver is at around $40 per hour, with excellent benefits and an actual PENSION. A career UPS driver is looking at about $5-6K per month in retirement pay. Don't believe me? Ask a UPS Teamster.

Here's how it goes. Airlines have stations, like LAX is a station for United Airlines or PHX is a station for Southwest. The vast majority of FedEx "stations" are simply terminals, or like UPS, "centers". But FedEx always gives a location a station identifier so they can make believe workers are employees of an airline, preserving the RLA. Many moons ago, when I first started at Express, my station was 40 miles from the airport where we actually got our freight via CTV. They used the airport identifier for an airport 15 miles away, which was a general aviation field with zero cargo. Later I transferred and the "station" used the airport identifier for a seaplane base 10 miles away, again with no cargo component whatsoever.

This is nothing new. Since it's inception, the old Federal Express had this all planned out. Early on, many "stations" actually saw an aircraft, but those days are long gone. The vast majority of FedEx employees never see an aircraft except in pictures or videos. They get their freight by TRUCK, and are simply a terminal, center, or sort facility. Aircraft might line haul part of their freight, but all of it arrives via truck, and a lot of it never sees an airplane. This is particularly true for the East Coast, where shorter distances allow a huge trucking component.

Towards the end of my sentence at Express, my "station" used the identifier of a long defunct general aviation airport, which was now a huge housing subdivision. Such a joke, but the game continues, and given the fact that Ground and Express are now a hybrid operation, the joke is getting really old. Management goes to great lengths to keep up the act, but doing little things like making the logo standardized and deleting the "Express"or "Ground" sub-lettering on vehicles tips their hand. It's one big integrated operation, and to pretend otherwise is not only dishonest, but illegal in terms of labor law purposes.

This is the main reason you have crappy airline benefits that are almost always worthless. To the best of my knowledge, real airlines still get a huge discount when they move freight via Express. In return, you get a discounted fare based on the highest possible rate, and do not have the "show ID and go" option that real airline employees have. The real payoff is for Memphis, because Raj can point to your crummy interline deal and say " See, we are an airline". All calculated to ensure it really isn't much of a benefit and that only a handful of employees will actually use interline.

It's time to call BS on FedEx and get unionized. New Teamster leadership is aggressive and interested in gaining membership, a quantum leap from the pathetic Hoffa era. Take advantage of having a Democratic majority and President and make a move now. Don't wait until the RTW anti-union GOP gets back in the driver's seat.

You are being played for suckers. Stop being dumb and playing Fred's almost 50 year-old game.
Broken record

bacha29

"The future is now".....George Allen.... The time to mount a serious legal challenge may never be better than it is right now.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.

41E81248-7854-4F02-94A5-6FA492A428F4.jpeg

FedexCares

I don’t feel this is ever going to happen as the masses in this country have been brain washed into voting against their interests by both sides of the aisle. The anti union push in the US over the past few decades is just one such instance of this.

At my OPCO they are actually paying us to find people to interview and if they ultimately get hired they are paying us a good chunk of change. So essentially the employees are being used to hire people now as well, all because they refuse to pay competitive wages and benefits that would actually retain people and stop the revolving door.

It is what it is, and I’ve made peace with it a long time ago. I do enjoy my 6 weeks of vacation each year.

ManInBrown

In case you haven’t noticed, this isn’t the Demoncratic party of the 80’s. They couldn’t care less about the working class. They are the party of elitists. Not going to be any help that they’re in power right now.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
In case you haven’t noticed, this isn’t the Demoncratic party of the 80’s. They couldn’t care less about the working class. They are the party of elitists. Not going to be any help that they’re in power right now.
I have mixed feelings about today’s Democratic party and you may very well be right but you said it with class which is something that Drive In-Drive Out (Union Strong) could never hope to do.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I have mixed feelings about today’s Democratic party and you may very well be right but you said it with class which is something that Drive In-Drive Out (Union Strong) could never hope to do.
This is my post on the issue.
Which part do you think lacks "class"?
So Democrats have the White House and a majority in both houses, and they're doing absolutely nothing about the issue.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Your constant eagerness to attack the Democrats like a great white shark would attack a bloody piece of meat.

The member you say criticized Democrats with "class", actually called them demonic elitists.

All I said is they're not doing anything about this issue. How is that an attack?

I think you might have a little crush on me.

bacha29

I don’t feel this is ever going to happen as the masses in this country have been brain washed into voting against their interests by both sides of the aisle. The anti union push in the US over the past few decades is just one such instance of this.

At my OPCO they are actually paying us to find people to interview and if they ultimately get hired they are paying us a good chunk of change. So essentially the employees are being used to hire people now as well, all because they refuse to pay competitive wages and benefits that would actually retain people and stop the revolving door.

It is what it is, and I’ve made peace with it a long time ago. I do enjoy my 6 weeks of vacation each year.
What DIDO/Union Strong and others on here willfully choose to ignore is that now that courts are stacked with GOP appointed judges any success at reforming the RLA along with passing any pro union legislation would have little chance in the courts.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
All I said is they're not doing anything about this issue. How is that an attack?
You attack the Democrats ad nauseam and never miss a chance at doing so. We get it, you’re sore because Trump didn’t win re-election just like Trump is. It’s a g’damn broken record with you (and him.)

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

The more convoluted the argument, the more likely it is that it's stupid.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
What DIDO/Union Strong and others on here willfully choose to ignore is that now that courts are stacked with GOP appointed judges any success at reforming the RLA
What you willfully choose to ignore is that no Democrats are trying to reform the RLA. Which is exactly what my post said. Ttku.