When I was a line sup all I asked of my guys was to use the crayon to write the HIN for packages on the 1,2,3, and 4000 shelf. Logic being that if a driver sorts the 5,6,7, and 8 during lunch, they'll set the order up themselves and already know where everything is. And if the flow got stupid whether it was due a jam or terrible planning in the back, I told them just to write the first two numbers (eg: a package with HIN 1560 should just be labeled '15'). I still fully believe that new loaders should have to go out as a helper for 1-3 days to understand how important load quality is.

Nike

The whole crayon idea is stupid plain and simple.
What if we could put some kind of delivery information on the box somehow, you know with the address, name, number and date of the package, we'll call it a shipping label!

I still fully believe that new loaders should have to go out as a helper for 1-3 days to understand how important load quality is.

Completely agree. I did helper for 3 seasons and when I started loading cars, I already knew what fresh hell a poorly loaded car would bring. It's a pain in the ass.

Sadly I'm not sure if a lot of loaders would even care.

Future

Victory Ride
The whole crayon idea is stupid plain and simple.
What if we could put some kind of delivery information on the box somehow, you know with the address, name, number and date of the package, we'll call it a shipping label!
Yes ...they already do right over the shippers barcode ....so I can't scan it

What's this crayon and circling BS? We get markers and put label facing forward and the HIN on the side. For smalls, I write the HIN since I know stuff gets jumbled around despite a bricked load something will always move, and face it out. Bulk stops get label facing out with HIN front and back so the driver can read it no matter where he or she is standing.

If only our scanners could stop dragging the HIN across tape and smudging it to all hell, I'd be a happy man.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Not properly trained, in my opinion.
The reason is that you get one of the 5 boxes at 4:30am, two more at 6:30 and two at 8. If you spent the whole morning moving around stops, you'll never finish and the drivers cars will be even worse. You know, at the end, when sups and stragglers just shovel stuff in.

Simply put, there isn't enough time to load the package cars and shift stops around.

The reason is that you get one of the 5 boxes at 4:30am, two more at 6:30 and two at 8. If you spent the whole morning moving around stops, you'll never finish and the drivers cars will be even worse. You know, at the end, when sups and stragglers just shovel stuff in.

Simply put, there isn't enough time to load the package cars and shift stops around.
Why put the large pkgs on the shelf in the first place? The preload sheet tells you how many pkgs you have on each shelf. And your top few bulk stops.

Common sense...if 1 box takes up 1/3 of shelf 2, how will I fit the other 32 pkgs on there? The key is to have the fewest stops on the floor.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Why put the large pkgs on the shelf in the first place? The preload sheet tells you how many pkgs you have on each shelf. And your top few bulk stops.

Common sense...if 1 box takes up 1/3 of shelf 2, how will I fit the other 32 pkgs on there? The key is to have the fewest stops on the floor.
The load charts do not tell you the size of the packages
Nor are the load charts always accurate

What you said was, five packages and three are in different spots. In your response, you entirely changed the subject into putting one large box on a shelf and 32 others, presumably different stops, around it. That's not even what you were discussing!

I guess you are here to complain, today? I'm just informing you on how the preload operates.

BTW- it doesn't help when you have "1 of 1" which turns into 30 or 50, all staggered throughout the morning. Because the chances are that the first 5 or 10 are buried. The only remedy would be to unload the entire truck and start over, if you want to group them together.

The load charts do not tell you the size of the packages
Nor are the load charts always accurate

What you said was, five packages and three are in different spots. In your response, you entirely changed the subject into putting one large box on a shelf and 32 others, presumably different stops, around it. That's not even what you were discussing!

I guess you are here to complain, today? I'm just informing you on how the preload operates.

BTW- it doesn't help when you have "1 of 1" which turns into 30 or 50, all staggered throughout the morning. Because the chances are that the first 5 or 10 are buried. The only remedy would be to unload the entire truck and start over, if you want to group them together.
my point was too many large pkgs on the shelf and too many small pkgs on the floor. My senerio was essentially a 5 pc bulk stop that 3 take up most of the shelf. If we could do it with just alpha charts before. Why can't it be done with PAS (which tells you where to load it) you don't have do stop counts, and you have a load diagram that gives you an idea on piece count per shelf and bulk stops?

Never waste your time trying to look for say a 1 of 10 on a box.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
How is a 5 pc stop a "bulk stop"
And never waste your time trying to look for a 1 of * count? You mean, while I'm walking to the truck, looking at the shipping label and pal label, anyway?

Wow, good thing you aren't my preloader. :D

How is a 5 pc stop a "bulk stop"
And never waste your time trying to look for a 1 of * count? You mean, while I'm walking to the truck, looking at the shipping label and pal label, anyway?

Wow, good thing you aren't my preloader. :D
I define a bulk stop as a stop that is bulky. Want me train u? Stack up 5 cases of depends. See how much area that takes up.

Look at the pal label, determine if it's too large for the shelf. Load with label to the front, up, or out. Put pal label facing out. Don't make it more difficult than that.

I had a 5 piece "bulk stop" of computer monitors. They took up less space than the empty Dish Network boxes next to it.

You can't trust load sheets. They don't account for send agains and they always change. You also don't know if you're gonna catch a cut or not. Same with a last minute bulk getting thrown to your car. I used to only pay attention to stops of 10 or more but now I just memorize them before the belt starts. Even then you can catch 12 ups small boxes that take up virtually no space.

Some drivers want bulk before 5000 to be in the car, some want it all by HIN, others just don't want stuff snaked. Lots of changing factors.

But it's really hard to mess up loading a car. It ain't hard.

Future

Victory Ride
I had a 5 piece "bulk stop" of computer monitors. They took up less space than the empty Dish Network boxes next to it.

You can't trust load sheets. They don't account for send agains and they always change. You also don't know if you're gonna catch a cut or not. Same with a last minute bulk getting thrown to your car. I used to only pay attention to stops of 10 or more but now I just memorize them before the belt starts. Even then you can catch 12 ups small boxes that take up virtually no space.

Some drivers want bulk before 5000 to be in the car, some want it all by HIN, others just don't want stuff snaked. Lots of changing factors.

But it's really hard to mess up loading a car. It ain't hard.
Just toss it in..... we will figure it out

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
They still want you to write on boxes even with the scanners that are used to prevent misloads. It is like the hin labels are useless and no point