The ( OFFICIAL ) angry Contract results thread!

Moneythehardway

There is a loophole that can benefit US, the members, in the IBT's loophole itself.

"In such circumstances where less than 50 percent of the membership votes on a final contract offer, the International Constitution provides that “a two-thirds (2/3) vote of those voting shall be required to reject such final offer…” Failure to reject the offer by at least two-thirds vote of those voting “shall require the negotiating committee to accept such final offer OR such additional provisions as can be negotiated by it.

You see, this has not been relayed to us to be a "Final" offer, therefore it cannot be a final offer unless stated, which it has not been stated (And if someone is saying it is, please provide references of such). Therefore there would have to be another offer (even if nothing much changes within it) that ups at that time states IS a final offer THEN we would need the 50% or 2/3rds in which I believe we would rally and get more votes to make the 50% which wasn't that far off to begin with (About another 5000 votes)

Secondly the "OR" is very important as well and should not be overlooked. So by the laws of the IBT's constitution negotiations can go on further from this point and does NOT have to be 'imposed'.

The Range

In too deep
Wasn't this advertised as the last, best, final offer from the get-go? The company didn't get that memo. This needs to be investigated. Full scope.

Chukie804

Management told me I'd never be a driver
Later in article 12 it explains that any contract brought to vote on by the membership is a final offer in the case of a company wide negotiating. I thought that left us an out as well.

Section 2(a). If a majority of the affiliated Local
Unions vote to participate in area, multi-area, national,
multi-employer, company-wide, or industry-wide negoti‑
ations for an area, multi-area, national, multi-employer,
company-wide, or industry-wide agreement (hereinafter
“master agreement”), all involved affiliated Local Unions
shall comprise a multi-union unit, be bound by such vote,
must participate in such master agreement bargaining and
shall be bound by the agreement approved as provided
below. Upon completion of negotiations by any commit‑
tee designated as hereinafter set forth to engage in nego‑
tiations of a master agreement, such agreement shall be
submitted to the membership involved in such negotia‑
tions for their approval or rejection as the final offer in
accordance with Section 2(d) herein.

It was a final offer, just so happened we didn't realize and our leadership didn't see fit to educate us.

Total package

We can rebuild him
I don't care if Ron Carey or Hoffa Sr. put that rule in, it could have been scrapped by now. And why can't we have a breakdown of how part time and full timers voted?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
The contract results remind me of the last line in this old cartoon:

Pogo_-_Earth_Day_1971_poster.jpg

Total package

We can rebuild him
I know most package drivers and feeder guys in our center voted no. Our guys were split a lot among who likes overtime and drivers who want just 8/40 if that. I don't blame people who have their finances in order to make it work on 40 hours but the 22.4 wage and lack of protection is no way to treat new drivers intended to keep you from working weekends