UPS Bows to Teamster Pressure, Negotiations to Resume Next Week

Up In Smoke

I haven’t heard anybody say they’re friends with someone on the negotiating committee, and there’s an announcement of a deal the next day.
Agreed, I'm very close with two members of the national bargaining committee and the only information I get is "No Concessions" and SOB is the voice of the Teamsters. They will let me know their travel plans also, but other than that it's crickets.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Agreed, I'm very close with two members of the national bargaining committee and the only information I get is "No Concessions" and SOB is the voice of the Teamsters. They will let me know their travel plans also, but other than that it's crickets.
Everyone seems to know someone on the negotiating committee… just like every customer I had seemed to know an ups “big shot” or “higher up”…if I had a buck for every time I heard that lol

Up In Smoke

Everyone seems to know someone on the negotiating committee… just like every customer I had seemed to know an ups “big shot” or “higher up”…if I had a buck for every time I heard that lol
Every local has a representative, so if you're engaged with your local, you have a "friend" on the committee. In my case, I have been a steward for 20+ years and both of our reps have been business agents of mine for the majority of my time. We have conversations weekly. Funny thing is both these guys were package car drivers with no formal education in operating a non profit or negotiating a contract. It's a learn as you go position.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier

I am proud to say I do not know anybody on the negotiating committees, just do not care to hang around the "big shots" or "higher ups" ... and they feel the same about me.

Burnt that bridge a long, long time ago.

I can believe they haven’t been talking. I bet SOB made his minimum offer very clear to them and said if we don’t get this we’re striking. Ups said they had nothing left to give, and then they left and have been playing chicken since

UPS is already paying starting pay $26 part time in some hubs, maybe they were trying to gauge public support during the chicken match, saw the public was on the workers side, and realize it’s better to pay that wage to all workers and get it done with. I really hope so at least
i dunno man

all the mainstream news articles were putting down the Teamsters for threatening "Biden's economy", it really looked more like they were threatening SOB

hope we just fork over the money though, i :censored2:ing hate the "we only exist to increase shareholder value!" philosophy

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier

Once we get our collective mitts on the tentative and have the time to study it..."No Concessions" is just a catch phrase.

This Contract has to be really (The Best Contract Ever)...in order for it to go through on the first vote. Our membership can smell a (Concessionary Contract ) a mile away, we experienced enough of them.

If it is the same old, same old everybody involved will know and will vote accordingly...

MIX_MASTER_ICE

Cold As Ice, Willing To Sacrifice
"UPS bowed today to the overwhelming show of Teamster unity and reached out to the union to resume negotiations."

How about UPS agreed to resume negotiations due to the overwhelming show of Teamster unity. His ego never stops.
You don't bring a knife to a gun fight.

Attachments

• shooter.gif
    shooter.gif
    1.6 MB · Views: 32

Thebrownblob

Once we get our collective mitts on the tentative and have the time to study it..."No Concessions" is just a catch phrase.

This Contract has to be really (The Best Contract Ever)...in order for it to go through on the first vote. Our membership can smell a (Concessionary Contract ) a mile away, we experienced enough of them.

If it is the same old, same old everybody involved will know and will vote accordingly...

Being that the process for contract ratification is going to be by mail again I certainly hope people do vote. It’s incredibly frustrating how few people vote when things are sent to their home.

MIX_MASTER_ICE

Cold As Ice, Willing To Sacrifice
Being that the process for contract ratification is going to be by mail again I certainly hope people do vote. It’s incredibly frustrating how few people vote when things are sent to their home.
Voting by mail is so 1999. Reminds me of mail-in-rebates I used to send off on a 50 spindle of blank DVD-R's that too 8 weeks to process.

Attachments

• mail.gif
    mail.gif
    3.8 MB · Views: 27

Thebrownblob

I believe the vote will electronic like it was last time?
I never heard for sure but I kind of figured you could do it by phone or computer as well. Of course, that didn’t seem to matter last time either hopefully this time will be different. Seems when things get sent to peoples homes they just put them to the side and never bother.🤷‍♂️

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I never heard for sure but I kind of figured you could do it by phone or computer as well. Of course, that didn’t seem to matter last time either hopefully this time will be different. Seems when things get sent to peoples homes they just put them to the side and never bother.🤷‍♂️

I thought Sean mentioned in the last webinar it was going do be done by mail ?

Thebrownblob

He did say that but I’m not certain if that means they’re mailing the information and then we can call in and do it electronically, by phone, or computer, or if we physically have to mark a piece of paper and return it by mail.

I think my point was that anytime something is mailed to many of the people who are members they don’t even bother to look at it or if they do they never do anything with it. I believe 2018 was electronic as well. They just sent us the information and a copy of the new agreement to look over if my memory serves me correct.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
He did say that but I’m not certain if that means they’re mailing the information and then we can call in and do it electronically, by phone, or computer, or if we physically have to mark a piece of paper and return it by mail.

I think my point was that anytime something is mailed to many of the people who are members they don’t even bother to look at it or if they do they never do anything with it. I believe 2018 was electronic as well. They just sent us the information and a copy of the new agreement to look over if my memory serves me correct.
Yeah (I believe), they mail your accreditation to your residence with a unique pin number, then you vote electronically by phone or internet.

....and no it didn't seem to produce a better turnout last time.

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
I think pretty much everything you listed sets us up well to look like the side that has been willing to negotiate in good faith and keep coming back to the table. That's a necessary image to paint for public and government support.

He's made UPS look like they're unreasonable and slow walking the process. I don't think that's an easy feat when we're really asking for a lot.
He’s been in the public eye lately since they left the table. I have yet to see someone repping UPS speak up besides stupid automated PR responses.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Lol, "UPS BOWS"?

Watch out stockholders. Sean has them like a hurricane victim needing ice and a generator.

UPS to Sean be like...

upload_2019-1-14_19-47-57-png.231233

Sean to UPS be like...

wi6NT7gN9WXn.gif

Last edited: