UPS & IBT 2013 Contract - UPS Press Release as of 3/7/2013

InsideUPS

The following is directly from the public facing "Pressroom UPS website" as of March 7th, 2013. It is interesting to read how UPS is portraying our current contract negotiations to the media and to our customers. Apparently, UPS seems confident in reaching an agreement by July 31, 2013. I wanted to post the current information here......in order to monitor how these press releases may change in the coming weeks/months.

"We want a good contract that rewards our employees and allows us the necessary flexibilities to remain competitive in the marketplace. We're confident we can reach that goal." (From Below)

UPS & IBT Teamsters Contract FAQs

Q: What is the status of negotiations between UPS and the Teamsters?
A: The current negotiations between UPS and the Teamsters are ongoing. Negotiations began on September 27, 2012, nearly a year prior to the expiration of the current agreement. Progress has been made over the last several months. In the past two negotiations, UPS and the union also began early and arrived at new agreements well before the existing agreements expired. Our present relationship is a positive one. The Teamsters recognize that UPS success translates into jobs and progress for all UPS employees. UPS remains confident we can reach an agreement with the Teamsters in advance of the current contract's expiration date of July 31.
Q: As a customer, should I be concerned about picketing and other union activities I've seen reported in the media?
A: Activities such as information sharing by the union and member meetings are common occurrences during negotiations and are not indicative of the state of negotiations. This is a normal part of the negotiation cycle. The media and other third parties may speculate on key issues or on the substance of discussions. Negotiations, however, take place at the bargaining table. While negotiations progress, UPS is focused on providing outstanding service to our customers while negotiating a contract that rewards our employees and allows us the necessary flexibilities to remain competitive in the marketplace.
UPS remains confident we can reach an agreement with the Teamsters in advance of the current contract's expiration date of July 31.
Q: When does the current contract expire?
A: The current agreement is in effect through July 31, 2013.
Q: Who is part of the contract?
A: There are two main master agreements. One covers our part-time and full-time employees in the package operation, and the second covers employees at UPS Freight® - our less-than-truckload (LTL) and truckload company.
Q: When did negotiations start?
A: The Teamsters leadership unanimously agreed to open negotiations early, beginning September 27, 2012. UPS supported an early start to negotiations, which is the right thing to do for our customers, our shareowners and our employees. Both of the last two negotiations started early and finished early.
Q: What happens during the negotiations?
A: A typical cycle has two phases: negotiation and ratification. During a typical negotiation cycle, "non-economic" issues (e.g., work rules, seniority rights, time off, safety, equipment, etc.) and "economic" issues (e.g., pay and benefits) are discussed. UPS and Teamster representatives negotiate the issues; the process normally takes place over several months. Once a handshake agreement is reached, UPS and the Teamsters will make a public announcement. The union then sends the contract offer to UPS Teamster-represented employees for approval, which can take several weeks. Once the contract is ratified, UPS gain makes a public announcement.
Q: What does UPS want to get out of these negotiations?
A: We want a good contract that rewards our employees and allows us the necessary flexibilities to remain competitive in the marketplace. We're confident we can reach that goal.
Q: Why won't you publically disclose the issues raised at the table?
A: UPS does not negotiate through the news media or social media. We have told reporters that UPS will always be a source of accurate information regarding the current agreement. As the talks progress, UPS will not discuss the substance of what is said at the negotiating table. We will not outline to the news media our proposals or those of the union.

Last edited by a moderator:

InsideUPS

Good Morning Indecision...

I thought that since you're tired and bored this morning.....I would share this cup of hot, rich tasting Colombian coffee that my wife served me this morning...
:happy-very:

duck_attitude_mug.jpg

let me tell you.......that cup of coffee was much better than the one she served me yesterday morning.!!!!

shut_the_:censored:_up_mugstfu.jpg

I'm really not sure if my wife is looking forward to my retirement or not.

duck_attitude_mug.jpg
shut_the_:censored:_up_mugstfu.jpg

Notretiredyet

We're having a local contract update meeting on Sunday March 10, 2 of our executive board are on the negotiating committee. They will get us up to speed on what's really happening then.

stink219

UPS & IBT 2013 Contract - UPS Press Release as of 3/7/2013

Jack, is that like UPS saying "Let's agreeing to our contract so we can see what's in it"?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Re: UPS & IBT 2013 Contract - UPS Press Release as of 3/7/2013

Jack, is that like UPS saying "Let's agreeing to our contract so we can see what's in it"?
When management comes to PCM telling everyone what a great deal we got, try asking them what they know about it, I bet they'll be clueless and are just told to tell everyone to vote yes.

balland chain

Typical UPS Bull SH** !!!! They want the general public to think they are a great employer that treats their workers well. Why don't they show the language that is in the contract that allows them to fire a driver based on technology? Over a year ago my manager pulled me in his office and asked me explain my day and why I had to stop so many times on my way to VA. This was on a thursday, the monday prior I went to the doctor because I was concerned about it as well. When I tried to explain to him that I had just gone to the doctor 3 days ago and had a urinary tract infection and a kidney stone, he stated that he did not want to hear my personal problems. My shop steward said nothing during the 3 1/2 hour grilling. My job was threatened, and since I was in need of medical care due to the kidney stones I was forced to write a letter stating that I would do an honest job. I called my BA and asked hem to have that removed from my file, and it is still there to this date. I hired an attorney who contacted Atlanta, and they backed off. My manager insisted that I punch out every time I use the restroom, (not required by my male coworkers.) I filed for FMLA, and had to use it due the the stress that he put on me. When I spoke with my doctor about the situation he was in shock about the treatment of the UPS workers. They put on a good show to the public, but we know how they are. I feel when they pass away they will have a one way ticket to hell.

balland chain

Low level management will spin this as the best contract ever. VOTE NO !!! It is too bad that the youngsters, how may not be prepared to be out of work for a few weeks without a paycheck will vote this crappy in. Senior driver really need to spread the word that this is more about their future, pension and health care . They must realize that if this contract contains language that our pensions are not guaranteed (central states plan) we are all screwed. If the union allows this language, I am out of the union !!! Hell we already get the lowest pension nation wide.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Agreed. Very different from the info from hall.

No one at UPS is a politician running for office.

Its just the nature of contract communications.
Hall is out drumming up support and making sure the people who vote know he is looking out for their best interests.
A good politician (think Obama) never stops campaigning.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Low level management will spin this as the best contract ever. VOTE NO !!! It is too bad that the youngsters, how may not be prepared to be out of work for a few weeks without a paycheck will vote this crappy in. Senior driver really need to spread the word that this is more about their future, pension and health care . They must realize that if this contract contains language that our pensions are not guaranteed (central states plan) we are all screwed. If the union allows this language, I am out of the union !!! Hell we already get the lowest pension nation wide.

You don't know what has been negotiated at this point and you are saying VOTE NO !!!

Goes to show that the idiom "Ignorance is bliss" may not apply to everyone.

over9five

Staff member

Hall is out drumming up support and making sure the people who vote know he is looking out for their best interests.

Hidden message?

"A good politician doesn't necessarily make a good president"

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hidden message?

Not from me ... Hall seems to be universally respected.
However, once he gets in Hoffa's position, he will have to face realities.
The government is assured continued existence while industries and companies are not.
He is the front-person to the Teamster masses getting their trust and when he comes back and says "This is a good contract", the membership will follow.

And I am almost certain it will be a good contract just like it was the last two contract negotiations.
Except for part-timers ... but that's another story (or thread).

Evil

Last I heard was that negotiations stalled this week. They cancelled this week and will resume next week. Thus far, UPS has not removed the healthcare issue away.

stink219

When management comes to PCM telling everyone what a great deal we got, try asking them what they know about it, I bet they'll be clueless and are just told to tell everyone to vote yes.
They don't do that with us. My BA would unload on them. My people get info directly from me. I get it from the negotiating team as its goes.

stink219

Agreed. Very different from the info from hall.

I disagree. No one single person is running for political office. hall communicating to us is the same as UPS communicating to shareholders. But the employee, customer and shareholder are getting the "fluff" from UPS. It's one in the same. Politics or PR, it's the same beast.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I disagree. No one single person is running for political office. hall communicating to us is the same as UPS communicating to shareholders. But the employee, customer and shareholder are getting the "fluff" from UPS. It's one in the same. Politics or PR, it's the same beast.

No doubt!

rudy5150

Not from me ... Hall seems to be universally respected.
However, once he gets in Hoffa's position, he will have to face realities.
The government is assured continued existence while industries and companies are not.
He is the front-person to the Teamster masses getting their trust and when he comes back and says "This is a good contract", the membership will follow.

And I am almost certain it will be a good contract just like it was the last two contract negotiations.
Except for part-timers ... but that's another story (or thread).

Keep throwing part timers under the bus and some day or contract they are gonna all vote and stick it to the full timers. We are all TEAMSTERS you full timers are no better than us part timers. Yet full timers like you continue to give part timers no respect and think part time contract is "another story" or should be discussed on diff thread? I love whe drivers come in and cry about their load quality yet making 32 an hour. Dont expect high quality for 8.50 an hr, you get what you pay for and negotiate for! U voted for it!