Will the trickle down economics actually work?

My perspective is a non West Virginian, viewing a hog at a trough, feeding on the Federal Treasury like a champ. I realize he was not alone and I don't hold the other's in high regard either.
So roads schools and hospitals for his state make him a villain but a defense plant would make him a hero?

floridays

Wanna find a non pork king/queen? Go find a member of congress that is actively trying to shut down a military base in his or her district/state. Good luck.
Already been through a big round of base closures in 1990. I like how you guys always attack the military, one of the few specifically mentioned purposes of the Federal government in the Constitution.

Already been through a big round of base closures in 1990. I like how you guys always attack the military, one of the few specifically mentioned purposes of the Federal government in the Constitution.
Who is "you guys"? Not attacking the military, just the military-industrial complex. The same one General and President Eisenhower warned America about.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Correct, there are dip :censored2:s on both sides, however thank the republicans that the Civil Rights Act of 1964 passed, 21 of 27 nay votes were cast by democrats.

This is very true. I believe it was along lines of the civil war and at the time the south had more Democrats who voted no.

It's very sad that our politicians can't come together and legislate meaningfully for the masses instead of whoring themselves out to lobbyist.

I am a registered democrat but would gladly vote for a party that was somewhere in the middle of what we have now. I just don't understand how so many people can vote against their own best interests.

Last edited:

floridays

Who is "you guys"? Not attacking the military, just the military-industrial complex. The same one General and President Eisenhower warned America about.
The Constitution didn't allow for waste in the military, just the defense of the nation and protection of its citizens. I'm no fan of waste in the military or entities gouging the citizens in the name of defense.

floridays

This is very true. I believe it was along lines of the civil war and at thT time the south had more Democrats who voted no.

It's very sad that our politicians can't come together and legislate meaningfully for the masses instead of whoring themselves out to lobbyist.

I am a registered democrat but would gladly vote for a party that was somewhere in the middle of what we have now. I just don't understand how so many people can vote against their own best interests.
We agree, if they came together they wouldn't leave Washington exponentially richer than when they arrived, a divided nation is to their fiscal benefit. Very sad.

floridays

This is very true. I believe it was along lines of the civil war and at the time the south had more Democrats who voted no.

Rick, nice talking to you.

bbsam

Staff member
I'm attacking nothing. In fact, I'm not even suggesting a reduction in size. I'm simply saying every member of congress LOVES to have that money coming in the state whether it's necessary is another matter.

If I remember correctly, there are weapon systems that the military doesn't want or need being built for the "pork" it brings to certain congressional districts.

I believe the name Newt Gingrich might be associated with such a deal.

floridays

I'm attacking nothing. In fact, I'm not even suggesting a reduction in size. I'm simply saying every member of congress LOVES to have that money coming in the state whether it's necessary is another matter.

If I remember correctly, there are weapon systems that the military doesn't want or need being built for the "pork" it brings to certain congressional districts.

I believe the name Newt Gingrich might be associated with such a deal.
No fan of flagrant spending or lobbyist deals even with the military, don't know about the Gingrich part but I agree with what you've said. I wouldn't trust Gingrich with my fingernail clippers.

Down size federal government, keep military the same or more if needed and have a bill like or similar to what the Republicans have pushed now and you will see a strong economic.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Down size federal government, keep military the same or more if needed and have a bill like or similar to what the Republicans have pushed now and you will see a strong economic.

If we cut our defense spending in half, we would still be outspending any other country on military. Local economies around military bases, however, depend heavily on the bases, so that should be considered when looking at making cuts.

We should be taking a very hard look at our overseas bases and start closing any of them that don't make sense. We could be far more efficient with our defense, and still be the premier military force on the planet.